American Censorship Day

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, buddy, Youtube and Facebook and Google and all the sites "responsible for this type of censorship" are fighting this bill tooth and nail. It would kill ALL of them if passed.

Right, and I still stand by what I said; if those morons are trying to kill off these websites, there will be Hell to pay.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ITT: stuff happens that doesn't really affect me and brandonspikes thinks that people have the right to commit crimes because you're capable of doing so.

Anyways.

This is such bollocks, I mean seriously the senate's moronic. I mean sure it's reasonable to censor copyrighted material but to close whole site like this?
Nah, that's just ridiculous. Closing sites like Fbook, YouTube and Twitter's stupid and I doubt they'd do it.
Unless they're really stupid.
O wait they're American :ha:
Just kidding.
But seriously, I doubt it'll happen properly.

Also I find it amusing that if the USA's going to be using the same software as the Chinese then:
  • the Chinese can hack 'em super easy
  • they'll be using a version of the software my old school uses to filter the internet :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

ITT: stuff happens that doesn't really affect me and brandonspikes thinks that people have the right to commit crimes because you're capable of doing so.

Anyways.

This is such bollocks, I mean seriously the senate's moronic. I mean sure it's reasonable to censor copyrighted material but to close whole site like this?
Nah, that's just ridiculous. Closing sites like Fbook, YouTube and Twitter's stupid and I doubt they'd do it.
Just kidding.

Also I find it amusing that if the USA's going to be using the same software as the Chinese then:
  • they'll be using a version of the software my old school uses to filter the internet :lol:

Can you read? Like please go back and read, because you seem to not understand anything.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh, buddy, Youtube and Facebook and Google and all the sites "responsible for this type of censorship" are fighting this bill tooth and nail. It would kill ALL of them if passed.

Right, and I still stand by what I said; if those morons are trying to kill off these websites, there will be Hell to pay.

Ah, I do believe I misinterpreted what you're talking about. Never mind. Thought you meant that google, facebook, etc were behind SOPA.

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
...It better not pass, what if Europe wants to do the same thing if it did?

They just don't know what to protect. Between copyright and free speech, they don't get what's more important.
Copyright is outdated since a few years. I consider that stopping piracy only make things worse. It can't be done.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I been watching the debate over this, they are mentioning piracy more. Some on it will hurt a lot of businesses, etc.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i can see more occupy protest over this either that or a 2nd american revolution this feelsv like an upgraded colonial era but our own country is doing this if this occurs i am leaving the US (the censorship)

Velotix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So the Senate is trying to look relevant again huh? Those poor bastards. But really, Trying to censor the INTERNET is damn near impossible. This seems more likely to hurt then senate rather then make them look good.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i hope it goes through. seems like things need to get really bad for people to wake up. this is just an example of how government is not representing the people. seems like the dmca has more power than the president these days.

D

Deleted User

i hope it goes through. seems like things need to get really bad for people to wake up. this is just an example of how government is not representing the people. seems like the dmca has more power than the president these days.
You do understand that if sites like Youtube or 4 Chan gets taken down, what kind of danger the US government will have to deal with? You can be sure that a lot of people will get murdered.

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mind you this gives them the power to do it but the odds of them shutting down a major site like Youtube or spending the time to censor lyrics on your Facebook page is probably never gonna happen.

Also, free anime and music is pretty much copyright infringement unless they have consent from the distributor or whatever. For example, Funimation has a Youtube channel and they actually keep entire series of anime on there. Will they be taken down? No, because they're the company responsible for their properties. Same deal goes with a lot of artist Youtube channels (even then, you see things such as live concerts and such taken down on Youtube for copyright infringement anyway).

I agree that the measure is unnecessary but complaining about how it will give them the potential to stop you from clearly performing copyright infringement is just being a whiny pirate.
Wrong, It takes away our rights, We should be able to browse anything we want on the internet, illegal or not, should we not be able to get in trouble? I think that should stay the same, but we should have the option to browse freely.
Especially Americans.
Here you say that we should be allowed to browse through illegal material freely.
Should we also be allowed to 'browse' through a drug dealer's wares?

Wrong, It takes away our rights, We should be able to browse anything we want on the internet, illegal or not, should we not be able to get in trouble? I think that should stay the same, but we should have the option to browse freely.
Especially Americans.
Well done you've won "stupid whiney comment of the week". Every part of what you said was stupid.
How is that stupid, I pay for internet, I should have the right to upload what I want, and reap the bad after effects if i so choose.

This law can screw over so many people that make money off things like youtube, and fuck over companies.

@ Guild, Apparently you cannot read, I said that there should be repercussions for illegal things, but we should have the option to browse whatever we like.

And just a heads up, if this law passes in current wording, The government has the right to shutdown sites like Youtube, and put people in prison that like to make music covers, gameplays etc. They can be classified as a felon.
Again using the drug dealer scenario, should I have the right to sell drugs and then "reap the bad after affects if I so choose"?
You don't have a choice of reaping the bad after affects, as you're breaking the law so it's automatic.
This bill is the repercussion for piracy, albeit in an extreme form.

I should have the right to upload what I want, and reap the bad after effects if i so choose.
Contradiction. These 'bad after effects' only happen because you don't have the right.
The "right" in the sense of freedom, not legality. Right as in Ability.
Why should someone have the right to commit a crime, seriously?
Say someone is able to commit murder does that mean they're allowed to? No, because it's wrong to do so.
You said (I believe) that you agree it's wrong to steal, and yet piracy's just that. Uploading material that doesn't belong to you is piracy.

Anyways.

Just kidding.

Can you read? Like please go back and read, because you seem to not understand anything.
I've done what you told me to do, see the above spoiler :yay:

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brandonspikes, I don't see why so many people have a hard time getting what you're saying and understanding it. I side completely with your views on it, though.

So people, let me explain what he is saying (since the multiple times HE explained it obviously wasn't enough). Hell, I'll even give you guys an example.

There is very little in effect to prevent us from committing crimes. The only way people are going to be prevented from committing a crime is by knowing about the consequences of committing it, and those with sense/fear/conscience will shy away from doing so. However, those more risky/stupid/without a conscience will do so.

Why? We all damn well have the ability to do whatever the hell we please. Not saying it's right, but we can physically do whatever the hell we want. Nothing is stopping us from doing it. However, that doesn't mean we can't get punished after the fact.

Now, my glorious example - I downloaded a bunch of Wii and Gamecube games from my source this past week. There is nothing in effect to effectively stop me from doing so, just fear tactics of the consequences of getting caught. So I downloaded them. Now the punishment I could suffer could be anywhere from a C&D email or letter from my ISP to my ISP shutting off my internet to getting fined to getting jailed.

The first two haven't happened yet, and since they haven't I don't have much belief that the last two will either. End result, I get my games, the internet isn't censored, and my crime goes unpunished. Is Nintendo out anything? Nothing on the GC games since they're not made anymore. The Wii games, that's more of a grey area, because I wouldn't have bought those games in the first place probably. You could say that they lost the potential for a sale, but in the end if I like the game a lot I'll go buy it.

Also -
piracyisnottheft.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted User

Pretty much, My point was more so the fact that innocent people will get fucked over by a pointless power control law.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ