Amazon Announces Kindle Fire

stanleyopar2000 said:
well of course I know that..but you're pretty much limited to whats in the Amazon App store..and not all developers go through there...so you're very limited...Reading ebooks on the Kindle Fire is what the fire does best..and I want something that does more than reading ebooks "best" but like others have said $200 is quite low for a tablet...but if only it had more features ._.
Their app store had 4000 applications at launch, which was six months ago. I'd hardly consider that "very limited." While that's no Android Market (with 200,000+), the Amazon store was hand-curated, and thus has few to none of the trash apps which make up majority of the former.

"Reading ebooks is what the Kindle Fire does best." It's a general purpose media consumption device. It plays video and audio based media as well as anything else.
 
Another World said:
from what i've read and been told by tech support, this is not in addition, this is the 4th version of the kindle.

They have just announced TWO new Kindles (a "regular" one and a touch version), both of which are e-ink. They are being released alongside the Fire. The OLD Kindle (the newly named "Kindle Keyboard") will no longer be supported after a transition period one would assume. They will of course keep supporting the products they have literally just annouced.


QUOTE(rehevkor @ Sep 29 2011, 12:10 AM) The $79 kindle comes with ads btw, it's $109 without. I couldn't tell from the website if the UK £89 Kindle has ads or not. I hope not.

That explains it then. UK needs an ad version then
tongue.gif
 
Another World said:
from what i've read and been told by tech support, this is not in addition, this is the 4th version of the kindle.

the kindle is one of the best ebook raders i've used. have you tried to read with a fully back lit screen at 2am? there is a reason the e-ink display is superior for book readers. i see this advancement as going in a direction i am not happy with, because i don't like multitasking applications. its fine that amazon wants to make a tablet i just don't want them to stop making new versions of the e-ink display ebook reader.

i've already contacted tech support and they stated that updates for the original kindles should last another 2 years. it isn't all bad but eventually that next bug fix or updated feature will be for their tablet and not their ebook reader.

personally, i find it ridiculous that a vast majority easily accept change and don't complain.

i also really love the kobo, it has some features the kindle does not (like directory sorting). the kobo 1 has recently been dropped from the update schedule. the kobo wifi is also on the way out. users are fighting to compile a wish-list of firmware revisions before they exclusively move onto the touch. the kobo tech support informed me (on 3 occasions) that the kobo wifi will get 1-2 more updates and then all support will be dropped. moving onto a new 'feature filled" version has brought with it more problems and less fixes. again, this is something i do not want to see happen to the kindle.

is the future so bright that e-ink displays will have no part in it? will we eventually have only two choices, a tablet or a cheap chinese knock off e-ink ebook reader?

-another world

Are you serious? Did you bother even looking at the site? The previous most-recent Kindle is still being marketed in BOTH versions as "Kindle Keyboard."
The NEW models include the Kindle Fire tablet (which is more focused on magazines, TV, and Movies, not books, btw), AS WELL AS the new Kindle Touch (in both Wifi-only and 3G models) which ARE e-ink readers with a touch screen. FURTHERMORE there is "regular" Kindle with a similar bezel to the Kindle Touch, but lacking the touchscreen and lacking a physical keyboard.

Previous most-recent Kindle models: (now called Kindle Keyboard)
Wifi: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ref=famstripe_kk
3G: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6...=famstripe_kk3g

NEW Generation of Kindles, which were simultaneously announced:
Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA/ref=famstripe_k
Kindle Touch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8Y/ref=famstripe_kt
Kindle Touch 3G: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8...=famstripe_kt3g
Kindle Fire: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/ref=famstripe_kf

E-ink Kindles are NOT dead.
 
Urza said:
Hanafuda said:
I'm a lot more excited about the standard wifi Kindle at $79. That's awesome.
Pay 20 more for the touchscreen.

There's no reason to buy the 79USD model.


Well, I can think of at least 20 reasons. But I hear ya. And after posting that I see the $79 model comes with ads and is $109 without (and the Touch is $99 with ads and $139 without) ... so my enthusiasm has definitely waned. I won't buy one preloaded with ads, but $40 is too hefty of a markup to be rid of them.
 
That awkward moment when my dad knew about this before the 'Temps USN.

But seriously, it does seem kinda kewl. I've already got my 7" epeen Galaxy Tab, so I'm not really that interested.
 
Guild McCommunist said:
prowler_ said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm no tech expert so I'm wondering if this would be able to support Flash. That'd be pretty sweet.Android can already support Flash, Guildy


I thought it was rather dependent on the specs of the system.
The specs are fairly decent, 1GHz dual core processor and 512MB RAM, should work fine with Flash. Provided Amazon support it, which I see no reason for them not to.

EDIT: Just found this on the Amazon product page:

QUOTE
Amazon Silk is a revolutionary, cloud-accelerated browser that uses a "split browser" architecture to leverage the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services cloud. Supports Adobe® Flash® Player.

So yes. It does support Flash.
 
SifJar said:
QUOTE said:
Amazon Silk is a revolutionary, cloud-accelerated browser that uses a "split browser" architecture to leverage the computing speed and power of the Amazon Web Services cloud. Supports Adobe® Flash® Player.

So yes. It does support Flash.

Thanks, seems like this got a nice big priority on my to-buy list. Tablets have always seemed like fun toys and being able to get one at such a good price with all these features is rare.

As for the Amazon Appstore dilemma, I don't see myself using a whole lot of apps outside of your basic social networking (so basically only a Facebook app), internet browsing (I'll probably stick to Amazon Silk), maybe some word processing stuff, and that's about it. It'd probably use it mainly for movies and web browsing and maybe some homework, if I can do word processing adequately.
 
Guys everyone here knows this thing will get hacked/rooted to the sun and back.

That being said I'm in, (for sure) if it has netflix streaming. Or a way to install apk files
 
Very nice price but that's all it have.
the lack of screen size (why not 10.1inch as well), without a usb + sd/sdhc connection. and only 8gb. did they make some kind of deal with someone to get a hold of 5 years ago inventory?! (512MB ram? oldddddd do they make them anymore...)

I wanna get multimedia device that can contain full season (4.5-6~ gb per season) and it can barely contain it, and to make it support google android the hackers will have to get into it, it will take time. if I don't want to use amazon service in any way(after the 30 days free membership) I shouldn't have to, they restrict to use amazon only,bah.

If they try to make cheap alternative, why not add some useful stuff and add 50$ to the price tag I'm up for it. (no need microphone and camera btw)
 
Hmmm....Throw in a camera and we might have a deal, but I understand this is probably aiming to be an entry level tablet which is nice. For $200 I'd consider a buy
 
It is sold in the U.S. price, the fire seems to me very decent. Unfortunately, it can not access the standard Android market, or through other means installing unapproved applications. Although I'm sure this will be rooted in the near future, and the ability to use any application, and may be given a custom CD-ROM.
 
Finally a Kindle that's not a complete waste of money. It's a good iPad alternative if you want quality hardware for a price that won't kill your wallet. Good job, Amazon. I wish I could lay my hands on it.

Also, if you want to "throw in a camera" why won't you just buy a camera? Tablet/phone cameras are crap anyways, why would you want this waste of electronics in your device?
 
Reasons for me why this good

1. No camera (they're usually shitty anyway and you have to pay more for it)
2. Android (Yay!)
3. I just like the overall basic sound about it.

The bad

1. Yeah no Android marketplace :(
 

Site & Scene News