Amazon Announces Kindle Fire

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Solutions
5
Reaction score
10,514
Trophies
3
Age
33
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,409
Country
United States
Kindle-Fire.jpg

Amazon today announced a new entry to the Android tablet market, named the Kindle Fire. Outside of the clever name (kindling makes fire), the tablet also features one rather astounding feature: a $200 price tag.

The tablet won't have a microphone, camera, or 3G functionality, but it does have WiFi and comes with a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. The device, however, will use Amazon's Android Appstore (with all your stuff stored on Amazon Cloud Storage) and not the traditional Google Android Market, although some savvier tech people may find a way to change this.

According to Endgadget, it has a 7-inch IPS panel, Gorilla Glass coating, 1GHz dual core CPU, 512MB of RAM, and 8GB internal storage. All this weighs in at 14.6 ounces.

It's available for pre-order now (for the US only) and will ship out on November 15th, just in time for the holidays.[/p]

icon11.gif
 Source
 
Too many tablets... Really stupid and waste of money... They make a lot of money and we have nothing but those stuff.. Nah. No thanks.
 
US only if you want to pre-order for now, other countries will available later
I like the look of this, was going to get a kindle sooner or later but might get one of these instead
biggrin.gif
 
This is a stupid question, but how much open-source ability would this device have? (i.e. emulators)

I'm sorry for the dumb question but I've never had an Android device.

@Mr. Cow,Prowler --thanks

arranging to pre-order now
 
Snailface said:
This is a stupid question, but how much open-source ability would this device have? (i.e. emulators)

I'm sorry for the dumb question but I don't have an Android device.

It won't be long until the device is rooted and able to have the normal stock android installed, with access to every else an adroid tablet would. Look at the Nook Color for an example of that.
 
Snailface said:
This is a stupid question, but how much open-source ability would this device have? (i.e. emulators)

I'm sorry for the dumb question but I don't have an Android device.
You can probably still install .apk's normally like any Android.
edit: derpno
 
TDWP FTW said:
$200 with no mic or camera? No thanks. Not like I was planning on getting a tablet anytime soon anyways...Although it would be nice.

It's more of a color kindle than a full tablet though....so it isn't really a surprise. I would never get this if I wanted a fully functional tablet, but it's perfect for people who just want a color LCD reader.
 
I get why they called it the Kindle "Fire".
Since it will in a few months be on the firesales. :3

Just joking. But in al seriousness. Those are some pretty decent specs(better than decent), and a spectacular price tag.
 
prowler_ said:
US only or... ?
They said worldwide launch will come later I believe.

But judging by the difference in UK and US prices for the new Kindle, it'll be much more expensive (new Kindle is $79 (about £50), and in UK it is £89 - nearly twice as much).

At the price it's selling in US, the Fire looks pretty decent to me. Pity it can't access standard Android market or install unapproved apps through other means. Although I'm sure it will be rooted before too long and get the ability to use any app, and probably get custom ROMs etc (although I like the existing interface, so personally I'd rather just install unapproved apps).
 
MR_COW said:
TDWP FTW said:
$200 with no mic or camera? No thanks. Not like I was planning on getting a tablet anytime soon anyways...Although it would be nice.

It's more of a color kindle than a full tablet though....so it isn't really a surprise. I would never get this if I wanted a fully functional tablet, but it's perfect for people who just want a color LCD reader.
It is a fully-functional tablet. Mic and camera are fringe input devices and not inherently important to that experience.
 
Personally I'm interested. I've been flirting with the idea of tablets and for $200, I can't complain. I don't see myself using mics or cameras anyway (and if I were, I'd probably use those for things I could do on my PC) and I could see myself using it quite a bit, just for some general internet browsing and maybe some busy work.
 
If I didn't already have a touchpad coming from HP with 4 times the storage and twice the RAM for $50 less, I might actually consider this, since it's certain to be rooted, for the same reasons Guild said - mostly just to mess around with it.
 
Another World said:
i wish the kindle had stayed a simple e-ink display e-book reader.

-another world
http://www.amazon.com/

There are three models.

QUOTEIf I didn't already have a touchpad coming from HP with 4 times the storage and twice the RAM for $50 less
And running on a 100% more dead platform
rolleyes.gif
 

Site & Scene News