Am I screwed? (5.1.1 update pending, not yet installed)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by shinkodachi, Aug 5, 2014.

1. shinkodachi
    OP

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    The stupidity of not doing my homework beforehand. Was supposed to block any URLs/IPs tonight and as I came home, someone's already been using my Wii U and thankfully left it open upon my arrival. Here's the situation:

There's a popup right now saying the Wii U will start updating the system, the only choice is OK. When I go into the HOME Menu and then Download Management, there's the system update installation file fully downloaded, but it can't be removed. It says to finish installation, I must restart the console.

So I'm still on 5.1.0, but it seems I'm forced to 5.1.1 anytime soon. What should I do? Is it OK to just fully power down the system or will it just install the update upon startup?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    If its anything like the 3ds cant you just hit format system and it will erase the update data?

3. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    That's what I did now! Thanks for the tip!

Lost all my saves, etc. But thankfully nothing too important (now I have an excuse to play Pikmin 3 again, ha!)

4. ZeroLimits

ZeroLimits Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 22, 2011
    Canada
    Earth
    every time you see the prompt telling you that the Wii U needs to restart, just turn off the console and reboot it and it shouldn't bug you for a little while; when it does, just repeat the step.

5. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    As long as there's no actual homebrew you'll miss out no need to get radical... just turn your console off when it prompts you to update and unplug instead of using Standby. My Wii U doesn't auto update and I don't block any IPs.

6. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Do you surf online with WiiU internet browser? because I thought that trigger a silent download.

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Failing that, booting to vWii, then to Wii U is one way to get around it.

8. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    I use it to execute the webkit exploit, lol. Nothing happened.

9. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    You could boot to vWii directly by powering the Wii U while pressing B on the GamePad with the TV off, then select Cancel to cancel booting to the vWii. That's what I did and it never asked me to update since then. Of course the eShop doesn't work but Miiverse and everything else work fine.

10. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Jeez you formated? Thats a bit extreme...

11. shinkodachi
    OP

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Definitely don't want to screw my chances at possible homebrew/region-free/other hacks.

In fact I decided to take my Wii U offline now.

12. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    Good idea shinkodachi. I know it can be hard to give up online play, but deleting the internet connection is the best way to stay on lower firmware.

jalaneme likes this.