OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Dezaemon 3D (Unreleased).ddd" aka "dazaemon298.ddd"
and "F-ZERO Expansion Kit (N64DD).ndd"

I suppose an accepted extension needs to be decided on.
That Expansion Kit dump is bad, by the way. It doesn't have the system area of the disk, among other issues. The new dump shall replace it.

Reactions: Margen67

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one wondering why the images are so small that they could have just used a cart? Is music streaming the only real benefit of the 64DD that they used?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one wondering why the images are so small that they could have just used a cart? Is music streaming the only real benefit of the 64DD that they used?

ROM = expensive.
Dicks = cheaper.

However, the Nintendo 64DD disks could only store up to 64MB of total data (game + savedata) but PSX disks (aka CDs) could store up to 600-700MB (game only).
I doubt Nintendo could have won the console battle even through they have released the N64DD earlier, because compare to CDs capacity, N64DD capacity is only 11% total of the CD capacity. Plus the N64DD is an addon (Remember Sega 32X CD? Yeah no.)

The Gamecube is similar, it used lower capacity disks compared to other console. It's capacity is about 33% compared to PS2 (DVD) media. However developers could include multiple disk in the case, and the Gamecube's MiniDVD was not an addon.

I kind of like NDD. More closely matches .N64.

What about .N64DD ? .NDD is associated with Nikon Capture already.

Reactions: Margen67

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France

The real benefit of 64DD is the amount of save data possible. Mario Artist is one of the best exemples, you can save so much pictures, and then you can even copy them to other games that can use them too. It's one of the features that's the coolest to me.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM = expensive.
Dicks = cheaper.

However, the Nintendo 64DD disks could only store up to 64MB of total data (game + savedata) but PSX disks (aka CDs) could store up to 600-700MB (game only).
I doubt Nintendo could have won the console battle even through they have released the N64DD earlier, because compare to CDs capacity, N64DD capacity is only 11% total of the CD capacity. Plus the N64DD is an addon (Remember Sega 32X CD? Yeah no.)

The Gamecube is similar, it used lower capacity disks compared to other console. It's capacity is about 33% compared to PS2 (DVD) media. However developers could include multiple disk in the case, and the Gamecube's MiniDVD was not an addon.

What about .N64DD ? .NDD is associated with Nikon Capture already.

Many dicks are given away I hear. :rofl:

It's true that they were cheaper to make but now I am even more baffled by the ~64MB limit (new info to me). I guess they maybe thought ahead for piracy prevention but they still could have made a proprietary format with more space for data. I guess they didn't want to make devs even more frustrated with the system by having to add magical code to work around addressing >64MB.

For the GC I'm sure the 3.5" DVDs were used purely to discourage piracy. But they totally failed to do so with chips + Iced Cube, etc. cases and helicopter mode coming along and it just limited content for devs and users.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many dicks are given away I hear. :rofl:

It's true that they were cheaper to make but now I am even more baffled by the ~64MB limit (new info to me). I guess they maybe thought ahead for piracy prevention but they still could have made a proprietary format with more space for data. I guess they didn't want to make devs even more frustrated with the system by having to add magical code to work around addressing >64MB.

For the GC I'm sure the 3.5" DVDs were used purely to discourage piracy. But they totally failed to do so with chips + Iced Cube, etc. cases and helicopter mode coming along and it just limited content for devs and users.

Sadest paet about thee gc discs was they were such a bottle neck considering the gc was more powerful then the ps2 in specs. Also in addition to piracy protection the gc discs allowed faster loading compared to the ps2 or xbox

Twili

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not 64MB. Rounded to the nearest power of 2, yes, but the capacity of the user LBA space is 64,458,560 bytes, which is 61.47247314453125 megabytes. :P

When you add the system LBA space, which is 473,280 bytes, or 0.45135498046875 megabytes, the total capacity of a DD disk is 61.923828125 megabytes. (64,931,840 bytes.) No more. No less.

So they are not actually 64 MB, but some weird proprietary amount.

Reactions: uyjulian

Deleted member 357656

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since the info has gone here:
Yes, every commercially released games are dumped.

[...]

Also, let me correct one thing: Satellaview dumping was possible a long time ago. They didn't need me for that, all I did was simulating a Satellaview signal, and emulating Memory Packs better.

[...]

Ah, sorry.
We can't thank you enough for this amazing work ! :P

Just one thing, the disks have been fully dumped? I mean, the ROM + System areas?

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
System Area contains Disk Info, as well as the ID of the disk itself, and production date (this is ALWAYS different).
RAM area is saved data. And unless the disk was never ever played I don't think you can have the same thing there.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
System Area contains Disk Info, as well as the ID of the disk itself, and production date (this is ALWAYS different).
RAM area is saved data. And unless the disk was never ever played I don't think you can have the same thing there.

Ah, I see now.

Why are the date of the files September 29, 1996, 12:37 PM, is that a reference to the N64 being released in the USA?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and sticky