Hacking AKAIO DB update works, but it shouldn't.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
OK, so I got bored and decided to try out the Update DB feature in AKAIO. I didn't expect it to work, because usually I can only connect to wifi in commercial games; I've tried all manner of settings, but it appears that my router (some kind of Netgear, I can get the model number if anyone particularly wants it) blocks homebrew from accessing wifi. However, the Update DB feature, while extremely slow, does succeed at connecting and even downloading the usrcheat.dat without too much difficulty. I was just wondering what AKAIO uses for its wifi access which works where everything else has failed. Thanks for any answers.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you can get on retail games but not homebrew then your ssid isn't turned on or set to public broadcast, something homebrew requires. stop by the chan and ask smiths about the akaio findings =).

-another world

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Smiths Posted Today, 04:48 AM
AKAIO uses pure crack cocaine for its wifi.

We negotiate with the best Columbian druglords, who route all our traffic through their intricate cartel.

So that's why my face gets numb and I end up cleaning the whole house everytime I update my cheat DB!

wink.gif
So the next release should be called AKyao, not AKaio.

FunFact for kids: yao is slang for cocaine

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@vague rant: i also have a netgear router and wifi is working perfectly. my settings are channel 11, 802.11b and g mode, range enhancing feature turned off, ssid set to public broadcast with a valid ssid, 128 wep encyption, my SPI firewall is off (because it turns off port forward rules for no reason which annoys me on IRC), MAC filtering is turned on with the nds entered. i let my ds obtain the link through the firmware automatically had never set anything by hand. wifi functions on my m3 lite, r4, akrpg, ak2.1 green pcb, and ak2.1 black pcb.

if homebrew isn't working but retail dumps do, then the problem is with the router. the cart is not selective which is allows (besides from the obvious roms that fail and are known per cart). keep toying with it!!

i've noticed with my own set up that sometimes sitting right in the room i can not get a signal. so i will hook up a retail game that works (like zelda), let it connect, then softreset or shut down my nds and do the homebrew. i don't know if the data tables in the router require the IP of my nds before they let wifi in sometimes. the thing only cost $75 so i never expect perfection out of it. also sometimes simply hitting the "apply" button in the wifi settings to update the router and rebroadcast has allowed me to get online. finally i can sometimes connect when i'm 2 feet away but not right infront of the router. try holding your nds up or away from the router if you are sitting directly infront of it.

goodluck.

-another world

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
That's the tutorial I used to get my Nintendo dongle to work with homebrew. It was a bit complicated to get it all set up right, but its totally worth the hassle, as there's a lot of kewl apps that use WiFi.

The one thing that isnt so obvious is the first thing that needs to be done. Before trying to update, go into the Nintendo setup disk and go to: \NintendoWFCReg\SoftAP and run DEVREMOVE.exe (this completely removes the Nintendo drivers). Then do the step by step tutorial.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1