Hacking AKAIO and 3-in-1 -- What to Add?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
norm has received his 3-in-1 so i think it’s time we start a thread about what we would like to see included in akaio as far as 3-in-1 support goes. lets keep this thread organized so norm and smiths can come and read it without the need to comment back to every post. please read what others have written and try not to comment on ideas as being good or something you didn't think about. lets keep this flowing by just adding on things not already mentioned and discussing problems with ideas mentioned. sound good?

here is some random thoughts which i'm not sure all are good and some are bad...
  • a more “gba exploader” feel with its own menu system for an easy learning curve
  • an area of the 3-in-1 gui for save/loading
  • save/load slots (10 each?)
  • the ability to dump a save on boot up (much like gba exploader) automatically, with an on/off toggle
  • ability to load saves from a slot on a per rom basis when loading nor or flashing to psram
  • keep the current option to auto flash to psram unless the rom is to big (vice versa)
  • keep the current "loads save when loading rom if save exists" for save in slot1 or by an option "which slot to auto load from" type of thing.
  • keep the current "dump sram to save when loading a new rom" but with an on/off toggle
  • update for the gelu fixes which have not been implemented
  • area for setting rumble/boot ram
  • display of the name of the rom in nor when in the menu system
  • display the name of the save in sram
these ideas add fixes, save/load features and optimize the gui for those who use akaio and keep a 3-in-1 in their system at all times.

please add-on!

-another world

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have it like YSMenu where it dumps PSRAM games on bootup and and dumps NOR Saves on command
And the ability to wirte only NOR saves.
smile.gif

If you don't have all that, I'm sticking with YSMenu.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe there was some talk of implementing a cheat system...

Though unless you blackmail Narin I'm not sure if there are any handily formatted databases (I suppose you would only need one)

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
Sad to say, the save dumping at startup is already in it, as is the option to enable/disable it in the 3in1 menu.

I just commented it out.

So that can be taken off the list... save dumping at startup (can toggle) is already in it

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
truth is I think SCDS1 support was attempted on a whim by Norm but to no avail.

but yeah it's not relevant to this thread but thought I'd throw that "insider" dirt in.

my 3in1 has shipped apparently... just waiting on it to come here.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Doesn't 3-in-1 need SRAM patches? How about some auto-sram patch functionality? Flash Advance users might profit from that, too.
biggrin.gif

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any hope of M3 GBA expansion support? memtestARM can recognize 32MB of M3 RAM although it doesn't write properly to the RAM or something at higher speeds than 4,2 - but I'd love to see support in AKAIO for the expansion
smile.gif

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
Doesn't 3-in-1 need SRAM patches? How about some auto-sram patch functionality? Flash Advance users might profit from that, too.
biggrin.gif

It has auto sram patching routines.. gelu did an amazing job with that. many forms of sram are patched after the rom is written to the 3in1

I tried implementing this into FAS1's routines, but the flash advance doesn't let you just say "go to this address and write 2 bytes in"... it does it in chunks and really it was a day+ wasted attempting it.

Trust me, I did try to put it in but could never get it to do the writing properly.

But for 3in1, it's there.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ability to disable rumble for homebrew would be nice (while keeping it for games)... it seems every time I start an emu (lameboy, etc) I get a 5-10 sec long rumble.

Unless there's already a way to do this that I just don't know about.

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know about that rumble for homebrew; I just got my 3in1 in. Spent a few hours this evening throwing in the prompting for saving/loading on GBA rom selection and AK startup.

So that's now in. Save at startup and prompting before save/load.

Basically, it's been Pogoshell'd.

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
the 3in1 save backup at startup is now the default option.
I'm going for a total "Pogoshell" feel here. Plus, it's just the most reliable way of doing this.

It seems frivolous to load your DS after playing a gba game you selected in the menu.. doing tons of things, then finally selecting another GBA game and/or selecting slot 2 and/or selecting a GBA game you've placed as a shortcut.. THEN backing up the old save and loading a save for the game you're loading should it exist.

Pogoshell would just handle Bank 1 at startup, and I never lost a save for years that way.

You'll be able to turn off the startup saving, but beware there are just so many combos of loading a 3in1 title that it may get "confused".

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally, I like how exploader handles gba saving - prompting you to save to one of the multiple available save slots. Having an option between automatic saving on bootup and then the manual save would be nice. If anything, just make sure you put in something at bootup that tells us a file is being saved. The M3 Real really doesn't, and it makes me nervous as I have lost saves when they ditnt properly backup, like when I lost 2 hours of mother 3 time when the m3 didn't update the save on my microsd next time I booted up. :|

Smiths

Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a 3in1 option for saving at startup. that is on by default.
There's also an option for prompting before save/load. that is off by default. (i turn it on, though... this was how I used Pogoshell)

There are no save slots currently.

karunin

Trophies
XP
Country
Smiths said:
We can't support korean. Legally.

We've explained this; it's part of the reason Norm and I went "rogue" from the AceKard development

I didn't know that it was illegal.

That's poor to me or another Korean.

I just got AK2 2.1 Korea Edition But AK team doesn't support korean too.

Thank you so much about replying me. smiths

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!