Hacking AKAIO 1.9.0 + New Loaders

dsboy11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I'll make sure she knows never to update her system (and I'll try to remember not to update mine too!)

But still, do you know what the highest version of a DSi and 3DS it is that works using AKAIO 1.9.0 without a bootloader update?

I know for example that AKAIO 1.8.9 worked on my 3DS without a need for a bootloader update. That was until I accidentally updated my system to 4.2.0-9 and had to wait for the latest bootloader update before I could use my Acekard2i again.
AKAIO has absolutely NOTHING to do with DSi/3DS compatibility.

DSi/3DS compatibility is determined solely by the bootloader version installed. There have been multiples times that a DSi/3DS update has blocked flash carts, so there's many bootloader versions out there. If the software installed on the DSi/3DS is higher than the flash cart's bootloader can start on, then it won't start.

Here's some info on how that works.
http://gbatemp.net/t...dsi3ds-updates/

Thanks for the link, it's a great post. I think I'm starting to get it all :blink:

So my Acekard2i (which is hardware version 81) must have come with a bootloader that was compatible with my 3DS when I bought it (version 1.0.0-0, I think?), otherwise surely it wouldn't have worked with just AKAIO 1.8.9 on it?

I understand completely that AKAIO is nothing to do with making the Acekard actually work on a DSi/3DS and that it's purely the software or whatever that you use once you've successfully ran the card.

However... my question is still valid. Going on the fact that AKAIO 1.8.9 worked on my 3DS (that I assume was version 1.0.0-0 because it had never before been updated) there must be a point at which AKAIO 1.9.0 stops working on it's own and needs a bootloader update, it could be anything after version 1.0.0-0, it could be version 3.0.0-5, version 4.0.0-7 - who knows? Literally!?

I'm not really asking about bootloader updates at all, all I want to know is at what point the version of your DSi/3DS console is too high for AKAIO 1.9.0 to work on it's own? (I'm not saying AKAIO is the reason it's running, just that it's capable of running on it's own because the Acekard2i already has a compatible bootloader on it - or whatever the reason is)

I think it would be a good thing to know because if your Acekard ever corrupts and you need to format it and start again, you'll know that if your console is past a certain version point (whatever that may be) you will need a DSphat or DSLite to get it working again.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So my Acekard2i (which is hardware version 81) must have come with a bootloader that was compatible with my 3DS when I bought it (version 1.0.0-0, I think?), otherwise surely it wouldn't have worked with just AKAIO 1.8.9 on it?
Exactly. Stores will sometimes update the carts before they send them to customers, but if not the factories usually install at least a semi-recent update before sending it to the stores, so getting an Ak2i without any updates applied at all is rare nowadays, the concern is mainly if the one it came with is higher enough to run on your DSi/3DS (since the stores may be selling you an acekard they got from the factory a few months ago, not last week).

I understand completely that AKAIO is nothing to do with making the Acekard actually work on a DSi/3DS and that it's purely the software or whatever that you use once you've successfully ran the card.
Yeah, you download an update file and put it on the MicroSD, but that's just so you can run it, once you run it and tell it to apply the update, it writes the update to the AK2i itself. This is how almost every flash cart works, since it's cheap enough to do (and they don't have to keep producing new hardware for each DSi/3DS update).

However... my question is still valid. Going on the fact that AKAIO 1.8.9 worked on my 3DS (that I assume was version 1.0.0-0 because it had never before been updated) there must be a point at which AKAIO 1.9.0 stops working on it's own and needs a bootloader update, it could be anything after version 1.0.0-0, it could be version 3.0.0-5, version 4.0.0-7 - who knows? Literally!?
AKAIO has never had anything to do with 3DS/DSi compatibility.

If a flash cart is not working because of a DSi/3DS update, then the DSi/3DS itself will give you an error message telling you to restart the system and check the manual.

However, if it does get past that point but the cart won't load properly (infinite "LOADING" text or whatever else if it's a different flash cart) then THAT is an issue with AKAIO or whatever software the flash cart uses, that type of error has nothing to do with DSi/3DS updates.
(Could be a contact issue.)

So I think you're mixing up two types of errors.

I'm not really asking about bootloader updates at all, all I want to know is at what point the version of your DSi/3DS console is too high for AKAIO 1.9.0 to work on it's own? (I'm not saying AKAIO is the reason it's running, just that it's capable of running on it's own because the Acekard2i already has a compatible bootloader on it - or whatever the reason is)
My info focuses on the bootloader because that's what it does. AKAIO does not, and has never had anything to do with DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL compatibility.

If an Ak2i suddenly stops working on a system, there's usually other things at fault (since I don't know your symptoms I'll just list possible things.)
A - MicroSD died. Not that uncommon with cheap unbranded ones from china. If the MicroSD is dead then even if the DSi/3DS tells the AK2i to go ahead and start up, it can't read anything off the MicroSD to actually start doing anything.
B - MicroSD corrupt, needs a reformat and replacement of AKAIO. Same symptoms (sort of), but a quicker/cheaper fix. Usually using the panasonic SD formatter is enough to reset the MicroSD to functional operation (as it takes care of problems the standard windows/linux/osx formatting tools don't).
C - Somebody went and updated the DSi/3DS when you weren't looking. Happens all the time with kids, since the DSi and 3DS will want to update if one is available before accessing the shop and such.
D - Something went terribly wrong and caused the Ak2i to accidentally write garbage data to it's own bootloader instead of the MicroSD, fucking up the bootloader. Extremely rare, but it has happened before (a few versions back).

And probably more I can't remember right now.

I think it would be a good thing to know because if your Acekard ever corrupts and you need to format it and start again, you'll know that if your console is past a certain version point (whatever that may be) you will need a DSphat or DSLite to get it working again.
If the bootloader is corrupt the Ak2i will not boot on ANY system (since presenting a proper header is required for the DS/Lite as well, they just don't have updates so flash carts don't need to bother with updates for the DS/Lite).

You may have heard about the cart-swap trick and how it can unbrick an AK2i and only works on the DS/Lite... but that's a technique that requires TWO flash carts to do, so I don't think it's what you're talking about.

dsboy11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, you download an update file and put it on the MicroSD, but that's just so you can run it, once you run it and tell it to apply the update, it writes the update to the AK2i itself.

Ahhhh! I think the penny's finally dropped! lol

I wasn't properly ditinguishing between the firmware on the Micro SD card and the firmware on the Acekard itself.

I didn't realise that once you updated the bootloader on the Acekard, the firmware on the card is forever changed. So no matter what you do with the Micro SD card your Acekard will forever be updated.

I just formatted my Micro SD card and then put my games plus AKAIO 1.9.0 back onto it and sure enough when I went to play it on my 3DS it was the Rafa Nadal logo that greeted me instead of the Deep Labyrinth logo that I was expecting. Stupidly I was thinking that whenever you formatted your Micro SD card you would need to re-install the latest bootloader update. Like I said I wasn't properly distinguishing between the Micro SD card and the Acekard itself.

If only I'd tried inserting the Acekard into my 3DS without the Micro SD in it; I would've realised my mistake straight away when a logo appeared, because with my idiotic reasoning I would've expected a "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot" message.

Sorry for being such a noob, but I got there in the end! I realise now how stupid I was being :(

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have AKAIO 1.9.0, new loaders (Jul 5), and the Game Enabler cheat enabled, plus I did the whole reformat process with the tool (which never has solved anything in the past, BTW), and still no luck on Pokemon Conquest. I tried two different clean roms (CRC32 BB2616E3) and got twoi different errors. The first one gave me a FAT Error, and the other gave me a hanging Loading screen. Maybe theses ROMs somehow are not clean, but have the same CRC? *snip*
If a true clean version does not work for me, then this problem is obviously caused by something else.

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, yeah, PMs aren't supposed to hold ROM links either. :P

Anyways, don't use the enabler code. That's for use before it's supported, but it's supported now.
Well I'm sorry. I didn't know that, as most sites don't have that rule in their policy.

Can I get a filename of a clean one? Or is there any other way to tell?

BTW, not working with code disabled, either.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The CRC is pretty much the way to tell, as there's an extremely low chance of two similar-but-modified files having the same hash. Like, so low we pretend it doesn't even exist because we've never seen it happen.

Chances are it's the enabler code, for the reason I listed (this is a common mistake, trying to use additional AP methods when they're no longer needed).

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CRC is pretty much the way to tell, as there's an extremely low chance of two similar-but-modified files having the same hash. Like, so low we pretend it doesn't even exist because we've never seen it happen.

Chances are it's the enabler code, for the reason I listed (this is a common mistake, trying to use additional AP methods when they're no longer needed).
I know how unlikely the CRC possibility is, but then why do I get different results with two different files? Could it be the header? The setting of the enabler code doesn't make a difference for me, either. Could it be a problem with HWID 81?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
81's the most common ID.

If two different files with the same CRC give two different behaviors, then something is going wrong when transferring them. It sounds like either the MicroSD you're using is fucking up, or the reader (which is a common issue with the cheap MicroSD readers that come with most flash carts).

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
81's the most common ID.

If two different files with the same CRC give two different behaviors, then something is going wrong when transferring them. It sounds like either the MicroSD you're using is fucking up, or the reader (which is a common issue with the cheap MicroSD readers that come with most flash carts).
I'll try another MicroSD and see. As for readers, I'm not using a cheap one, but I'll try changing that, too. One variable at a time, of course.

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I tried my Kingston and my two SanDisk cards each with my Kingston, SanDisk, and Generic readers, but to no avail. I tried with and without the code, and tried both ROM files. Isn't VPYTv00.nds supposed to work?

I have yet to see even a white screen...
EDIT: Just found out something odd... Apparently one of the files (the VPYT one) has the BB2616E3 CRC, yet most copies of that file have a CRC starting with 7. STILL, I have tried everything with the other file...

link28469

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What info does AKAIO report about the ROMs? The same size and CRC reported on the computer?
What do you mean? On their website?
You should disregard VPYTv00.nds, as I think it was tampered with. I'm having the same problem with Pokemon_Conquest_USA.nds
The first attempt earlier gave me a FAT error, but not anymore. Not working on DSi or 3DS.

MarkRichards

Trophies
XP
ANY HELP AS YET WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

i recently accidently updated the 3ds to new fw but didnt realise until is was too late to update my ACEKARD 2i first is there any way to unlock my acekard as its just coming up with error whilst loading cheers

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ANY HELP AS YET WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

i recently accidently updated the 3ds to new fw but didnt realise until is was too late to update my ACEKARD 2i first is there any way to unlock my acekard as its just coming up with error whilst loading cheers
AKAIO has nothing to do with the card working on the 3DS. AKAIO is just a kernel, not firmware.

You need wait for the Acekard Team to update to flash your card's firmware

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.