Hacking AK2i or R4DS with wood R4 1.05 firmware?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Games don't load that slow on my Acekard, maybe R4 loads games a little faster, but not worth getting an R4 for a second or 2 loading time.

seahorsepip

Trophies
Website
seahorsepip.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
firespike8 said:
Thanks for summarizing that Yaymii I think You've just swayed me over to acekard lol. I'll probably order it today but do you think I should get it form Shoptemp or are there better deals out there?
I should try an american store because the long wait time of shoptempon this moment
(Wait time is made because the cloud of Iceland that made planes unable to fly over Europe)

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
anaxs said:
wow, ur comparing the crapiest card to the best card.
Complete Bullshi*. Please.. there are far worse cards like any clone for example. The build quality is better than the ak2i so pour yourself a glass of stfu. Now with a very nice firmware running on it theres nothing crap about it. We are only talking about a couple of woodr4 releases so far too, a pretty good start I think. The original R4 was a decent card for its time and a decent card now with wood. Fact.

Yes akaio is v.good (and it has hardware advantages such as SDHC and better AP checking etc), its f-in great and I'm not trying to be a dic* here so don't take my post too seriously but what I said. And please excuse my language.

Why the f*** does it always have to be one thing or another. Time for a childish row about who hates this that and the other? Grow the f up, you can like both firmwares. I sound a little harsh i think tbh apologies... end of rant.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kineticUK said:
anaxs said:
wow, ur comparing the crapiest card to the best card.
Complete Bullshi*. Please.. there are far worse cards like any clone for example. The build quality is better than the ak2i so pour yourself a glass of stfu. Now with a very nice firmware running on it theres nothing crap about it. We are only talking about a couple of woodr4 releases so far too, a pretty good start I think. The original R4 was a decent card for its time and a decent card now with wood. Fact.

Yes akaio is v.good (and it has hardware advantages such as SDHC and better AP checking etc), its f-in great and I'm not trying to be a dic* here so don't take my post too seriously but what I said. And please excuse my language.

Why the f*** does it always have to be one thing or another. Time for a childish row about who hates this that and the other? Grow the f up, you can like both firmwares.

This is the ACEKARD forum. You will always get some people who are heavily biased towards the Acekard because of that, so live with it.
Likewise if you ask the same question in the R4 forum you will get some people who are heavily biased towards the R4.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tk_saturn said:
This is the ACEKARD forum. You will always get some people who are heavily biased towards the Acekard because of that, so live with it.
Likewise if you ask the same question in the R4 forum you will get some people who are heavily biased towards the R4.
Yeah you are right. It is the ACEKARD forum (I forgot...damn this topic!!) and most cannot like the r4 with wood too, its got to be one or the other. Choose Life.
I'm living with it... might not have sounded like it but its all good.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
seahorsepip said:
firespike8 said:
Thanks for summarizing that Yaymii I think You've just swayed me over to acekard lol. I'll probably order it today but do you think I should get it form Shoptemp or are there better deals out there?
I should try an american store because the long wait time of shoptempon this moment
(Wait time is made because the cloud of Iceland that made planes unable to fly over Europe)
That delay is only for Europe. Planes fly east from China to North America.

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your opinion kineticUK it's appreciated
smile.gif
I think I'm going to stick with the acekard though because SDHC is pretty awesome along with the firmware support. And yeah the R4 is a pretty decent card now thanks to YWG but I'd still rather be safe than sorry and get the acekard since AKAIO is being actively updated and has been fr some time, also if for some reason akaio got disbanded there's still wood R.PG. firmware so I think it's a safer investment in that regard. Interesting to know the load times are slower and the build quality isn't as good on the AK2i, It's good to know the pro's and cons of each card and to way them out before making purchase.

Incase anyone else is having trouble deciding between the two here are the pros and cons of each:

Acekard - Price 16.58$ CAD Shoptemp.com
+SDHC
+DSi support
+more seamless settings
+a full team of support
+Flashable Firmware
-Not many Bugs
-Slow loading (at the moment)
-Worse Build Quality(?)
(depends) crappy OFW compared to AKAIO

R4 (with woodR4 1.05) - Price 6.03$ CAD Shoptemp.com
+Fast loading
+Better Build Quality(?)
+Very Cheap Price
-More buggy(still in early releases)
-No SDHC
-doesn't work on the DSi
-Many Clones (hard to get a legit one)
-a single person supporting
(depends) R4 autoboots

Well that sums it up the pros and cons I believe. Remember both are great cards it's just about preference and how much you are willing to spend. I'll be ordering my acekard2i soon
biggrin.gif

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
firespike8 said:
Acekard - Price 16.58$ CAD Shoptemp.com
+AKAIO and the team.
+SDHC
+DSi support
+More developed software (There have been more updates/releases, longer time in development)
+Flashable Firmware (In case of future DSi firmware updates)
-Questionable Build Quality (Based off my personal experience only and what we all know from acekard and users here. I had contact issues with my 1st ak2i, it worked only in my DSi but wasn't recognised by my DS Lite. I then bought a ak2.1 after being told the build quality was better but I thought it was worse. The ak2.1 I got was so bad one of the plastic tabs snapped the first time I tried to remove it from my DS. I got another ak2i afterwards which worked in both DS and DSi.)

R4 (with woodR4 1.05) - Price 6.03$ CAD Shoptemp.com
+Yellow Wood Goblin and their software WoodR4
(+) Fast load Speeds with WoodR4 but akaio isn't slow. Its just slower. (But also I think its due to the nature of SD vs SDHC and better perfomance on smaller capacity cards but I have never really checked this out)
+Better Build Quality? (Not so many issues with hardware failure etc. The original seems well built and its built to last it seems.)
+Very Cheap Price now
-Wood R4 still in early stages of development, not as developed as akaio you could argue.
-No SDHC
-Older "dated" hardware? (Doesn't have under the hood AP technology like akaio, inferior in this respect)
-DS only (Not DSi)
-Beware of clones there are many and they are all shi*e. (Don't support them, they steal from others and profit off their hard work but give back sweet fa. Don't give them your money...support a real team. Make sure its an original if you do buy one)
-Only software it has that is anywhere near akaio is WoodR4. No guarantee releases will continue but there is some hope.
-R4 autoboots (That is to say, it doesn't act like a "real" ds cart in this respect...akaio does!)
I just wanted to clarify a few things (and again apologise for a little bit of a rant earlier, got burgled tonight after writing that so maybe it was karma. Second time in 6 months probably the same heroin addict anyway..). Its easy to recommend the acekard over the R4 because its current, the R4 is now an older card (team is dead).

Summary:

I'd advise if you have an R4 you update it with woodR4.
If you are looking for the best hardware to buy now then its the acekard obviously.
I think the pros of newer acekard/akaio outweigh the extra cost over an R4 and if I were to buy now then I would pay the money and buy an acekard or something else. I wouldn't buy an R4 now but cost difference for me isn't an issue... I'm 30 and working and you have to spend a little bit more to get the best.

Thats pretty much the bottom line and I should really have made it more clear before... The point I tried to make was that Wood is a nice firmware as well. I like it probably because it is similar to akaio, similar to my favorite software of course. I was thinking you had an R4 already you could get by with that quite nicely now (My little brother now has my ancient R4 with wood).

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh isn't the main aspects about the supercard dstwo the GBA/SNES emulation and free cheat??? I don't really need those features...do I ? Is there something I missed regarding the supercard?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
firespike8 said:
Eh isn't the main aspects about the supercard dstwo the GBA/SNES emulation and free cheat??? I don't really need those features...do I ? Is there something I missed regarding the supercard?

Thats about it as far as I know.
And not many people are seriously interested in that unless they have a DSi or unable to buy a 3in1 previously.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wood R4 is simply a "shot in the arm" for an otherwise defunct cart. I've got a couple of old original R4DS carts, with one running Wood R4 and the other is running DSCovered (for the time being, anyway). I've also got an AK2i running AKAIO.
Cosmetically, they look exactly the same. But, as has already been stated, the R4DS is restricted to 2GB (max.) MicroSD and can never be used on the DSi / DSi XL consoles. It's also restricted to a maximum of 12 themes running at any one time on your MicroSD.
Also, none of us have a crystal ball, but it would be a fair bet the AK support will outlast Wood R4 (although I personally hope they both last forever). People will argue that you can buy 2 R4s for the price of 1 AK2i and yes, that's true, but you get what you pay for. And let's face it, we're taking approx. USD$6 difference here, not USD$40, so that argument isn't that strong anyway.

In summarising, AK2i WINS hands down in this little comparison.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
dark.boy.6687 said:
AKAIO is updated regularly, Wood RPG is updated like once a month or something.
The last AKAIO update was a month ago, so...

firespike8 said:
Same with AKAIO. Also, I don't get how autobooting is a bad thing.

QUOTE(kineticUK @ Apr 21 2010, 05:07 AM)
-Only software it has that is anywhere near akaio is WoodR4. No guarantee releases will continue but there is some hope.
And what guarantee is there that AKAIO releases will continue?
Remember the message you got with the last release? "STOP FUCKING WHINING ABOUT RELEASES OR YOU WON'T RECEIVE ANYMORE." Also, remember what happened when AKAIO 1.5.1 MOD for clones was released?

Also, a big plus for R4 is that the Wood R4 is open-source.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
AK2i would be better, it's more feature rich (i.e. homebrew soft reset, SDHC, DSi support).

fearofshorts said:
Plus the SCDS2 can use it's onboard processor to decode much higher quality (and in regular formats and containers) videos.

The SCTWO is good for those whom own a DSi, but imo if you have a lite or phat DS its better to go with the AK2i+3in1 combo. It is nice the SCTWO supports xvid/divx codecs.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Miser said:
firespike8 said:
Same with AKAIO. Also, I don't get how autobooting is a bad thing.
Technically, there's 2 people for unofficial support (That's Normmatt and Smiths), and a full team for official support (Acekard team) in case AKAIO stops.

And Normmatt, if you're reading this, if you decide to stop AKAIO support, can you give your work to the official Acekard team so they can continue it? Thanks for listening.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Miser said:
kineticUK said:
And what guarantee is there that AKAIO releases will continue?
Remember the message you got with the last release? "STOP FUCKING WHINING ABOUT RELEASES OR YOU WON'T RECEIVE ANYMORE." Also, remember what happened when AKAIO 1.5.1 MOD for clones was released?

Also, a big plus for R4 is that the Wood R4 is open-source.

What happened when AKAIO 1.5.1 MOD was released? AKAIO 1.6 happened that's what.

There isn't much that does have a 100% guarentee. There's no guarentee you will be alive in a weeks time, you could get hit by a car tommorrow.

As it is Acekard still has an active development team, they haven't released anything because Normmatt does their work for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.