Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS owners will be getting a new AoE game, though the first one wasn't much like AoE anyway but still it was a pretty good game. It is being developed by a different developer Griptonite Games who are also doing Spore Creatures DS. Most of their games range from being kinda average to decent.

The game will be the same sort of thing as the last DS game, which is a shame as I wanted a proper RTS but it is promised to be a lot more advance with better system AI. Also added will be local wireless play as well as international Wi-Fi multiplayer.

So yeah the first game was good, it just kinda pees me off that mobile owners get a proper AoE game while DS owners get a turnbased one.

age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602042446411_640w.jpg
age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602042447364_640w.jpg
age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602042448177_640w.jpg

age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602042452708_640w.jpg
age-of-empires-mythologies-20080602042451442_640w.jpg

Video Link

It is said to be released this year in the "fall", so expect it this time next year.
tongue.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
F**king A, you just made my day
smile.gif

Had not heard of this till just now. Hmm this will make me ok with EVERY POS game that has been released for 2008 actually.

I agree (which is weird for me) that the DS needs a REAL RTS design for those that like actual RTS games. But to be honest, I doubt I would want it unless it was turn using.

As much as I am a WW2 gamer fanatic, I have actually played my AoE DS title more than every other DS game I have combined.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Great stuff! Loved the first game (Feudal Age FTW!) I actually bought it!
I know people always want RTS but I think this works much better on the DS. I'd like to see a Space Marine type game using this engine too XD

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe I'll try it, but I never really liked the first one. AoE should be RTS and not turnbased.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm still not conviced about the graphics, I like Majesco better. I mean, look, a beetle twice as large as a building? The hell? I now it's "Mythology" but, come on.

I sure hope this one is not Egyptian exclusive. All the screens features Egyptian warrior and creatures
From the screenshots I saw:
Eagle Warrior
Anubis
Chariot Archer
Camels
Beetles

I thought it was Aztecs, seeing there's Eagle Warrior, but Egyptian armies blow it away. Maybe they'll feature new unit? Mummies?

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah still turn-based, doesn't the DS already have enough of these?
Two Advance Wars games, the first AoE, Drone Tactics and lots of others. When I first saw this sequel over at IGN I really hoped they're making it an RTS but instead they were saying how great the first game was etc. etc.
I loved AoE on PPC, even though it was just AoE 1 it was still damn proper and all these other RTSs on the platform are lovely aswell, true that PPCs have more RAM and CPU power but still it can be done. I mean even Command & Destroy wasn't that bad, just really slow and unpolished. And of course AToW, except it needs a little bit more complexity and proper unit collisions, those stacks are insane.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MagNetCZ said:
Two Advance Wars games, the first AoE, Drone Tactics and lots of others. When I first saw this sequel over at IGN I really hoped they're making it an RTS but instead they were saying how great the first game was etc. etc.
I loved AoE on PPC, even though it was just AoE 1 it was still damn proper and all these other RTSs on the platform are lovely aswell, true that PPCs have more RAM and CPU power but still it can be done. I mean even Command & Destroy wasn't that bad, just really slow and unpolished. And of course AToW, except it needs a little bit more complexity and proper unit collisions, those stacks are insane.

"I mean even Command & Destroy wasn't that bad, just really slow and unpolished."

Are you really that desperate? Command and Destroy was total crap for the total let down that it was. It was no different than DS Paint. A game that everyone might have loved, but they simply didn't give a shit. They only wanted our money, they didn't really want to actually make the game seriously.

As for too many turn based titles, get real, count the sum total of DS games, and now count how many non rpg designs are out there worth a damn and use turns. There's plenty of room for more. Or would you prefer I support an equally dumb comment like isn't there enough rpg games already?

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
MagNetCZ said:

"I mean even Command & Destroy wasn't that bad, just really slow and unpolished."

Are you really that desperate? Command and Destroy was total crap for the total let down that it was. It was no different than DS Paint. A game that everyone might have loved, but they simply didn't give a shit. They only wanted our money, they didn't really want to actually make the game seriously.

As for too many turn based titles, get real, count the sum total of DS games, and now count how many non rpg designs are out there worth a damn and use turns. There's plenty of room for more. Or would you prefer I support an equally dumb comment like isn't there enough rpg games already?

Well at least it's pretty much the closest thing to something I call an RTS, Revenant Wings and such aren't bad but it's just not what I'm used to call an RTS, grown with Red Alert 2, StarCraft and WarCraft. But anyway I agree that my statement about too many turn-based strategy games might not be all that true. Definitely not if you count only those that you seem to love, like Panzer Tactics, there's like how many of such nature... 1? The reason I said it was simply because I don't like them, always losing and kind of getting bored and I apologise for stating it as a fact even though it was merely just an opinion.

QUOTE(Flameburst @ Jun 5 2008, 12:43 AM)
I've played Revanant Wings and Lost Magic, I never tried Command and Destory, heard the saving and loading was really bad.
Not that bad if you use a flashcart with real-time save but it's silly nonetheless. I found the often criticized controls alright but the thing that pretty much destroys the whole experience is how slow the game is. The multiplayer is nice but since it's so slow there's a really low probability that you'll have a good opportunity to play it. I can only think of really late at night when you and a friend with a DS nearby can't sleep and there you could play C&D otherwise you've got loads of better games. It's a shame though as I was watching the game quite closely and then eagerly waiting for the release and what I found was pretty much only dissapointment but also great potential. I wonder how Robocalypse will turn out.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Heroes of Mana is an RTS, and StarLite if you want to force it
smile.gif

Seriously, anyone think this is good? I read it will only feature the Norse, the Egyptian, and The Greek. Don't tell me Anubis have to fight Zeus and elves?

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"The reason I said it was simply because I don't like them, always losing and kind of getting bored "

Was that meaning you don't like the AI always losing? Just curious.

If that was meant you don't like always beating the AI, well isn't nearly any game out there suffering from that to some extent from the hard core gamers?

Well at least my son makes the average RPG type game look like a 1 week doodle on average. That in my books rates as "easily beaten".

The turn based games are no harder to some extent, until you play it against another human.
Panzer Tactics as me vs the AI, yeah I usually win easy enough. Me vs another human, all bets are off.

I tend to hate RTS on PC platforms. But I likely wouldn't mind an occasional indulgence on the hand held scene.

I think the DS is being totally under used by both classic RTS as well as classic turn based strategy if the numbers are to be believed. We both have a reason to want more.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
If that was meant you don't like always beating the AI, well isn't nearly any game out there suffering from that to some extent from the hard core gamers?
Well it doesn't even seem to hardcore if all you do is send all you have to crush the enemies and it works out. Pretty much all the time.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Jun 6 2008, 12:07 AM) I think the DS is being totally under used by both classic RTS as well as classic turn based strategy if the numbers are to be believed. We both have a reason to want more.
Yup. I wonder what the main reason is, there are many possibilities.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
MagNetCZ said:

It's not the same, RPGs are for the most part the same as FPS in the 'gets boring over time' genres....

FPS:
The stories are good, but the play is the same for EVERY FPS, and there are rarely any technical differences between them, and if there are, they are very minimal

Turn Based RPG:
The stories are one of the only variables, the system is pretty much the same as it's been since FF1, with few changes in some games with advanced targetting systems, the addition of 'Wait' systems, and other things, but overall there isn't much to change in it, so much isn't changed.

The worst part of it is that the story is interrupted when it comes to gameplay, so it doesn't really offer much to the story at all for the battles besides boss fights and random encounters which just slow it down, and generally you also need to wait for load times to switch between TBC battle and normal 'walking' around.

There are then a few other TBC genres with more 'field-like' (Advanced Wars) and less 'battle-like'(Final Fantasy 1) games, but they're still just as boring when it comes to the fighting sections.

I'd probably say that when it comes to that, that's where Action-Adventure RPGs like Zelda and Mario have precendence for sure, and we need more games like that.

For example, I'd love to see a new Klonoa game for the DS, or (As is coming up) a new Kirby game.

--
An RTS game would be a hell of a lot better than TBC for Age of Empires as well. I downloaded the DS version and friggin' hated it. Probably because I loved the PC version so much and that's what I expected, but it could be my general distaste for the genre over time.

MagNetCZ said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
Well it doesn't even seem to hardcore if all you do is send all you have to crush the enemies and it works out. Pretty much all the time.

QUOTE(Panzer Tacticer @ Jun 6 2008, 12:07 AM)
I think the DS is being totally under used by both classic RTS as well as classic turn based strategy if the numbers are to be believed. We both have a reason to want more.
Yup. I wonder what the main reason is, there are many possibilities.
Oh god AGREED to the MAX!!!

I mean there are very few games that even get close to pushing the limit of the DS's graphics, and there are very very few that push the memory, and are innovative. Need more developers that for the most part know how to push the graphics and bother doing it.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only RTS I have ever actually said anything positive about is Rise of Nations. Not that I think it is great, but it was some of the design elements.

I think over all, the stylus could do the job well if the game was done well for the RTS genre. RTS games are essentially mouse click designs, and the stylus likely could do anything a mouse can.

As such, even though I prefer turns, it still seems odd the RTS genre seems so absent from the DS scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, I dont have the other 3 wives