smile.gif

Looking forward to this one, screens look nice

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
How many RTS games have there been on the DS so far? Revenant Wings is the only one I can think of, if you count that as RTS anyway.
Eco Creatures: Save the Forest.

For reals. It was actually pretty good, although it was more a Pikmin-style RTS than a Revenant Wings RPGRTS (is that even a word?) You had these three types of squirrel-unit things which could be further divided up by color (granting them special abilities.) And you could grow tree 'structures' that would let you recruit more squirrels, or heal any of your units near them, or things like that. You also had beaver-things that could build dams and bridges, and magic that could raise or lower the water level...

Also, the ones people have mentioned: Heroes of Mana and Lost Magic. And of course Command and Destroy, which had serious issues. (Password saves only? Really?) But it's still the closest thing to a 'traditional' RTS on the system.

Oh. And do you count Populous as an RTS? It has some RTS features, I guess. Anyway the DS version of it was kinda fun, and you don't need to be able to read Japanese if you already know how to play Populous (or can look it up online.)

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
CorruptJon said:
The first Age of Empires game was so underrated yet it was so good... I hope this does better.

It is, in PC, and the first AoE for DS is quite good too. Can't understand why people said it's bad though. I mean, sure, it's turn-based, but you've got to admit it is well-made

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to Age of Mythologies. Simply because Empires usually use swords and bows, not magic.

Like I said before, this game features only 3 empires, The Norse, The Greek, and The Egyptians

They're not linked in any means, except about Greek and Norse, since they're in the same continent

The problem is: what about the campaign?

Sp33der

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Raestloz said:
CorruptJon said:
The first Age of Empires game was so underrated yet it was so good... I hope this does better.

It is, in PC, and the first AoE for DS is quite good too. Can't understand why people said it's bad though. I mean, sure, it's turn-based, but you've got to admit it is well-made

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to Age of Mythologies. Simply because Empires usually use swords and bows, not magic.

Like I said before, this game features only 3 empires, The Norse, The Greek, and The Egyptians

They're not linked in any means, except about Greek and Norse, since they're in the same continent

The problem is: what about the campaign?

Well Greek and Egypt are connected, i think. The Greek captured a part of Egypt, or was it Rome?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Rome were part of Greek, or were they?

Anyway. What wil the Norse do? The elves never tried to start war with the Greek, and so does Zeus to the elves

I hope Greek hero is not Hercules, now is that a possibility?

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a fan of the first AoE, I admit that this "mythologies" premise seems a bit thrown-together-at-the-last-minute. And on campaign mode, how the crap do you make that make sense. If they wanted to make a good mythology tie-in, they could have produced AoE:Travels of Odysseus. The campaign mode could be an incredible journey.

And Panzer Tacticer made a comment about the DS being under-utilized in this genre, and I agree whole-heartedly. This is a bit off-topic, but this is why the new rts Drone Tactics is such a step up. You can't always just send all your guys against their guys and overpower them. The strategy goes up a notch because when you are attacked, you have to decide what your reaction is to their attack. Do you choose to "defend, counter-attack, or evade"? Depending on which unit you are controlling at the time, you can minimize the damage from the attack or avoid damage entirely. Drone Tactics isn't the greatest game ever, but I think they have opened the door for developers to explore new strategies in future turn-based games.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ruri said:
Doomsday Forte said:
How many RTS games have there been on the DS so far? Revenant Wings is the only one I can think of, if you count that as RTS anyway.
Eco Creatures: Save the Forest.
Oh yeah... I played that game for a bit, more time I was hunting my own units around the map than working towards the goal, I hated that you had to move near to the units with the yellow guy to be able to command them. That kind of ruined the game for me, and of course the no combat multiplayer is real silly aswell.

We might add Anno 1701 aswell, that's kind of an RTS too and a good one at least.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SleepingDragon said:
Do you choose to "defend, counter-attack, or evade"? Depending on which unit you are controlling at the time, you can minimize the damage from the attack or avoid damage entirely. Drone Tactics isn't the greatest game ever, but I think they have opened the door for developers to explore new strategies in future turn-based games.To be fair...

Drone Tactics didn't really invent that. It's been a feature of the Super Robot Wars games for a looong time.

QUOTEOh yeah... I played that game for a bit, more time I was hunting my own units around the map than working towards the goal, I hated that you had to move near to the units with the yellow guy to be able to command them. That kind of ruined the game for me, and of course the no combat multiplayer is real silly aswell.
The key is to use your 'come to me!' button repeatedly to ensure that nobody gets too far away from you. Don't try to give individual orders to your units (except when you absolutely have to, like when building or moving things -- and even then, use the 'command everyone of type XYZ at once' buttons.)

...well, I'll agree it's still a problem. But it's not that bad if you just keep hitting "follow me!"

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, Ruri, I guess I should have given them credit for that, but I was speaking about English titles. I meant that this is the first English release that features those options.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I really want a good RTS. I loved Anno Domini? if that's what it's called but there wasn't enough battling but it is still a really really good classic RTS type game. I want another one!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.