Homebrew AGameAWeek - 3DS

rassular

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm.. here's a thought.. (been trying to wrap my head around this, all day!!)

The delta movement should cope easily with a system running faster than my 3DS, which would theoretically result in Micro Clampett's movement (pixels-per-frame) being reduced, and as such his wall collision would actually work better..
In order for the wall collision to fail, that would mean the game's actually running slower than expected, so the game is over compensating the values, and that’s what's sending Clampett through the walls.

So, does this mean that on @Inthescene's 3DS, the game is actually running SLOWER than it's supposed to be?!

If you don’t mind doing a quick test, start the game up, go into the bottom of the options screen, and switch on the FPS display, then head into the game and let me know the average "settled" FPS.
On mine, I’m getting a more-or-less steady 55fps, although that fluctuates based on the number of onscreen ....um... let’s call them darts!!

I’d be interested to know what the FPS is on yours.. (and anyone else willing to try)

Perhaps the system can’t cope well with "too many installed games"..?
Or maybe 3DSs eventually wear down..?
Does the 3DS do "background" apps?
Lots to think about.

This could be something I’ll need to watch out for in future, and i might need to reduce certain games down, to compensate.

(The FPS on the latest version, btw, should be identical to the older one, so either version will suffice!)
The fps settles at 55 a lot but mostly 56 actually. Had this 3ds for almost 4 years now and it still runs well.

Reactions: Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, at least it isn’t that, then! *phew*

Again, thanks for testing.
I’ll need to figure this out, somehow.. A very strange issue!

But for the meantime, I’ll probably just disable Delta timing for the 3DS, and just "assume" that everything's as steady as can be ;)

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This week's game is based on an old Wednesday Workshop entry by Eikon! Yes indeedy!!

Squashly Boop

Bounce on the heads of the squashlies, and score epic combo points by doing so.
In true AGameAWeek fashion, this is another highscore-frenzy kinda game, so be sure to share your best scores with your friends/enemies, to decide who's the squashliest of them all.

You can Download Squashly Boop here.
(And yes.. It is a bit Mario'y, isn't it..!)

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Another week, another game!
Time for some "Blockman Gets" action.

A simple enough premise, and one you've no doubt seen plenty of times before. Guide Blockman through the maze of pills, and gobble up everything you can find.
But you can't go back!!
This game takes the classic dot-muncher game and twists it into a Puzzle mechanic that'll keep you munching for hours.

You can Download Blockman Gets Retro here.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for these great game, may be soon a Platdude adventure!
I do hope there’ll be a new JNKPlat, but right now I’m struggling to get thousands of tiny sprites onscreen, without getting a framerate hit! On the original DS, I would've used tilemap background layers, but ... I’m not sure those are even available for 3DS Homebrew? Everything seems to be 3D objects and vertexes and things..
I might be wrong, though.. I’ve still a lot of learning to do, to get the engine up to speed.

How do we install these? Are they in FBI, or do they have qr codes?
Unzip the zip files from my site (click the 3DS icons!) and you’ll have .cia or .3dsx files to do with as you please.
If there are other alternative methods that I don’t yet know of, then please do describe them to me, as I'm still fairly new to all of this, and I’ve been more focussed on getting them running in the first place.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Time for another super-happy game!

NeoPlat Blast

A simple, yet totally frantic Single-Screen Platformer, where you have to watch out for the evil Bats, as you blast away the blacks from the level.
Simply hop, run, and drop bombs, as you rush around the wrap-around level, trying to.. Blow even more bricks up!!
The only goal is a higher score, and to avoid all the bats, at all costs.

You can Download NeoPlat Blast here. Just click the 3DS icon, like always.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, it's all written in incompatible languages, I'm afraid. (Blitz2D/3D/BlitzMax and Monkey-X)
That's the main reason why I wanted to start afresh, this year, and write everything in good-old C++. That way, it's much easier to port it across to other things.

..The things I'm currently finding it hard to compile for are iOS and Android. But .. I'll get there! RAWR!!

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A long time ago I found your site, and got a ds game called centi pong, what if you ported that, can you port ds to 3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: