Homebrew AGameAWeek - 3DS

D

Deleted-351540

@Jayenkai, this is the proper answer. It is building the CIAs with the same NCCH headers and TitleIDs.

There's a list of Homebrew apps in one of the stickied threads that should give you an idea of what IDs are already in use and so that you don't use those IDs and ruin other Homebrew apps. Also make sure you aren't using actual TitleIDs, which can be looked at using "that title key site" (I can't post that link due to the GBATemp rules, sorry!)

Edit: As far as I'm aware, GodMode9 can do the editing automatically but don't quote me on that.

Second edit: check this...
https://gbatemp.net/questions/makerom-arg-s-to-compile-cxi-into-cia-with-custom-title-id.3593/

And this for GM9 usage. Pay attention to "Converting .3ds to .CIA".
https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage.html

Last edited by ,

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I'm getting there, I think!
When you run cxitool, you can add in a -t parameter. It takes an extremely specifically formatted number!!!
I've got it working with "-t 000400000FACA000" to "-t 000400000FACA999", and as far as I can sanely manage to check, all over the web-o-sphere, that doesn't appear to be a range of numbers that are as-of-yet "taken".. So that's going to be my chosen range. Of course, it'd be a blinkin' miracle if I ever took up all that, but I'm leaving myself plenty of room for the future.
I now need to somehow automate that into my .bat file, somehow.
Oh boy, that should be fun.. !!!

Reactions: Deleted-351540
D

Deleted-351540

Glad I could help! (Or at least point you in the correct direction.)

Happy building!

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

OK, let's give this another whirl.

Flappadiddle-Doo has been recompiled using .cia methods which @bobdamnit requested I add.
There's been some framework fixings (see earlier radius issues!) and I think it's more or less feature complete now.

You can Download Flappadiddle Doo here.
It's now in a zip, which contains the .cia and also the 3dsx, as well as the .smdh for whatever purpose that has!

As always, be sure to let me know of your results, and if it works as expected, I'll get redoing the other games to match.

Thanks again, everyone!

Reactions: Deleted-351540
D

Deleted-351540

Sweeeeet! I can't wait to get home and give it a try. Thanks for figuring out how to build a CIA, and I am happy to have helped along your knowledge of 3DS Homebrew!

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. I most definitely would have helped you along quicker.

rassular

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The smdh is used for the icon and text of the 3dsx if you didn't know. The ones you made already included that so you wouldn't have to make the smdh.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No testers, then? Bah.
OK, well, here's the same 5 games, recompiled with the newest version of the framework, a couple of bugfixes here and there, and now they're all bundled into "cia/fbi" friendly versions.

If there are any faults, let me know.

(Same agameaweek.com links as before, so all previous links should still work fine.)

rassular

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So afar, the only problem I've stumbled is in the new framework version of micro clampett. When I ran into almost any wall, this happened: http://imgur.com/eHESN60 it seems to happens the most on areas with a wall and only one block under you. This is pretty major since if you run in, it's very very hard to get out.

Reactions: Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried and tried, but cannot replicate!!
I *think* it might be down to the delta-timing, though, so I've done a quick fix and re-uploaded it.
If you'd like to attempt to walk through walls once more, be sure to let me know if the new version fixed it!

And thanks for testing!
:D

Incidentally, are you running on O3DS or N3DS? That might be causing the difference. I'm still using O3DS.

Reactions: rassular
D

Deleted-351540

I just tried the same game on a New3DS and couldn't replicate it. I also tried the new upload and again I couldn't replicate it.

Flapadiddle Doo plays about the same. No bugs encountered (but is amazingly fun to play, nice game). I'll test the others as soon as I get some food in me. Being hungry takes a lot of attention, apparently.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm.. here's a thought.. (been trying to wrap my head around this, all day!!)

The delta movement should cope easily with a system running faster than my 3DS, which would theoretically result in Micro Clampett's movement (pixels-per-frame) being reduced, and as such his wall collision would actually work better..
In order for the wall collision to fail, that would mean the game's actually running slower than expected, so the game is over compensating the values, and that’s what's sending Clampett through the walls.

So, does this mean that on @Inthescene's 3DS, the game is actually running SLOWER than it's supposed to be?!

If you don’t mind doing a quick test, start the game up, go into the bottom of the options screen, and switch on the FPS display, then head into the game and let me know the average "settled" FPS.
On mine, I’m getting a more-or-less steady 55fps, although that fluctuates based on the number of onscreen ....um... let’s call them darts!!

I’d be interested to know what the FPS is on yours.. (and anyone else willing to try)

Perhaps the system can’t cope well with "too many installed games"..?
Or maybe 3DSs eventually wear down..?
Does the 3DS do "background" apps?
Lots to think about.

This could be something I’ll need to watch out for in future, and i might need to reduce certain games down, to compensate.

(The FPS on the latest version, btw, should be identical to the older one, so either version will suffice!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1