Aerobic Training

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, since there's lots of topics about training your body I may just join the club
wink.gif

My biggest problem is that even though I'm good at short spurts of energy (50m run) or that I can stay going on for ever at something I'm interested in (sports, which now I think about it are normally little runs for the ball (tennis) etc. I normally play hockey, tennis, rugby and I used to do judo), I can't run over 150m without starting to feel tired. I tried running up our lane, which is about half a mile/800m, and I had to stop like 3 times to catch my breath properly, lol.

Thing is, for school I have to be able to run over 25 minutes at a good speed to pass my endurance test, and since I want to be fitter overall, I thought about doing aerobic exercise.

So heres the question, best way to train? And what do you guys do to be fit overall? (I don't mean gaining muscle)
Also, after sports, can sore muscles be helped with sugary water or is it just a myth?

*Is now part of the GBATemp training club*

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Sounds like you could use some motivation to keep you moving: so bring along a music player on your runs.

And remember to pace your breathing to your steps. I personally vary my breathing to suit different stages in my run.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ZzzZilla: Yeah I have tried that, problem is that I can't run the lengh of the whole song lol. Maybe my pace is too quick?

What music do you guys listen to when jogging?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
i think the problem is that you run....
thats no good, you need to jog at a slow pace at first and then slowly build up your pace, both in that session and overall

im only of the few unlucky people whose lack of excersize brought down upon them the wrath of their parents and a full gym into their home....

when i started off on the treadmill i would start off at 6 kmh(slightly above walking speed) and increase by .5 every 10 minutes
no i can run on 9 for about and hour, and im very proud of that

I listen to rock usually, nothing too slow(like black sabbath sometimes) or too thrashy(like slayer) but stuff in between.
iron maiden and skid row are quite good.
songs which let you sing along (like thunderstruck, most KISS songs etc.) are really fun and actually help determine if youre working too hard.
if you cant sing along whilst jogging, youre working yourself MUCH too hard and need to slow the pace.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Problem is I don't have a treadmill, so I don't really know what speed I'm going at.
At the moment all I've got is well, nothing lol. Would joining a gym when I get home be worth the money? Because in the end to keep fit you just need to move about, machines don't tend to do miracles anyway.

xcalibur: what's your session like?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First there is a noted difference between endurance running and sprinting, from posture down the muscle/tendon structure. Hockey, tennis, rugby and judo/most martial arts are all examples of "short burst" activities (think, can you sprint better than most of those that can do distance?).
It all gets very scientific very quickly but the last paragraph explains it fairly well:
http://health.iafrica.com/fitness/science/30649.htm

Simply put you will need to change your muscle structure and some extra general fitness which is as hard as it sounds.
Short order the best you can do really is eat a good diet, pasta fruit, bread and the like. With your current activities you may find you are drawn to sugar based stuff at present, do your best to cut it out.

From other posts I seem to recall you are a early-mid teen female, some iron supplements (or iron rich foods) may a good idea (mild anaemia type disorders are not uncommon: low blood oxygen makes for quick tiring) but check with a pharmacist or someone who knows as iron (or the delivery system) and some medications/treatments (anti histamines, anti biotics, low sodium diets...) combined can have less than great effects.
If it is allowed stretching at points during running can help.

Many years of skateboards, bikes, climbing and the like has left me with the knees, back, hips and to a lesser extent ankles of an old man so I stick to swimming and plain cycling (leave the gears alone) for training in this respect. I can "run" about 1km loaded (35kg) or 2km "free" if I have to.
A decent set of shoes is a must though as long distance running can mess you up if done improperly (too often I have seen "out of shape" people try jogging only to do themselves a nasty injury), on the day a brace for knees and ankles may not go amiss but do not rely on it outside of the event or you will not build up there (same applies to recovering injuries and braces).

Hopefully this has given you something to research/consider, best of luck.

RayorDragonFall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol thanks for all the advice guys.

I bought a skipping rope today, so I'll be learning how to skip this week (lol). I was thinking something like:
Day 1: 2 mins, 10-20 sec rest, 2 mins, 10-20 sec rest, 5 mins.
Day 2: Ditto.
Day 3: 5 mins, 1 min rest, 5 mins, 1 min rest, 10 mins.
Day 4: Ditto.
Day 5: 10 mins, 2 mins rest, 20 mins.
And then doing the routine of day 3 generally and the routine of day 5 once a week or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ❄️ 😡 ❄️