Hacking Advice for M3 problem please.

esther12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my M3 real (perfect bundle) about 4 months ago.

It's been great up until the last two weeks, when it's been freezing, usually after about a half hours playing time. (This is pretty frustrating on games with rare saves - FFIV final dungeon!)

I've seen some people here suggest sliding paper in to try to help the cart connect properly, but from the look of the connection points, the DS is making contact in the center of the strips. The memory card is the same. I tried sliding some paper down on the offchance, but it carried on freezing. Is there anything else I should try?

I bought it from Techwizard - does anyone have any experience of their custome care, or if I'm likely to be able to get a replacement?

If not, will I be able to use my GBA expansion pack and rumble pack with non-M3 cards, were I to buy a replacement. I was impressed with te M£, but expected it to last longer than four months, so would want one likely to last a bit longer.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

KingClitoris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might sound assy, but I recommend getting an iTouchDS (if you arent using a DSi)

If I had an M3 Real id be more help but I dont D:

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want to test for the paper shim trick.

1) load a game with a moving intro
2) tap the DS all the way round

If it freezes then it does need the paper shim trick, most M3 Reals do need it

esther12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I just clear up what I should do to test the paper trick?

Fold a piece of paper in two, and slide it into slot one, down to the point where it's next to the interconnects.

With the DS's back facing me, and the paper at the bottom of the slot, I then put the M3 card on top of the folded paper, with the paper pushing the M3 slightly toward the 'back' of slot one, away from the screen?

This is what I did last time, without it helping. Is there anything I should change?

With '2) tap the DS all the way round' do you mean tap the console or the buttons? Neither seemed to make the game freeze, but I may not have done it for long enough.

Thanks for the help.

S

sumarth

think about it

the contacts are obviously toward the screen

so you want to put the paper on the other side, pushing the m3 into the contacts

what you did will only make it worse

esther12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sumarth said:
think about it

the contacts are obviously toward the screen

so you want to put the paper on the other side, pushing the m3 into the contacts

what you did will only make it worse

That is what I thought, but the other instructions I found even had an illustration with the paper being in the other side. I didn't know what was going on...

I've just put some paper in to push the cart toward the connectors. Thanks for clearing up my brain fart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    For batch operations.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Massivley so. Glad I'm getting more experienced with it now
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "Hey can you make this [inane change] on 50 servers?" Yes.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    The scenario in question is to do disk erases on some storage servers at my job that have I think 12x 14TB spinners, SATA SSDs, and nvme disks. The process I'm using to erase the spinners is to kick off an ATA Security Erase in the disk's firmware, then once that's done do a dd zero-fill as a second pass.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    These spinners take like 22h per each of those operations
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'll admit sometimes it takes me longer to write and debug a script that will do that for me, than it would take me to make the changes manually, but this is more fun.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    And running it over a serial console I'd either have to spin up a dozen and a half screen sessions or just run one operation at a time
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Wrote a horrifyingly long one-liner to do all of that - spin up a shitload of screen sessions, run these commands to it, pipe output to kmsg so it shows up in the default tty's shell, and some other shit on top of that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Can't you run pssh?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Some day I'll write out a properly formatted shell script that lives on our firmware server or git repo and just call that, and have that handle every kind of server we run much more gracefully than my hobbled together atrocity does right now
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    pssh - nope. 1, what I'm doing gets done from our bootable provisioning environment, and you can only interface with that via serial console - we don't accept ssh connections on the servers in that state, and 2, I don't even know if our bootable environment has pssh baked into it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    3, I've never even heard of it before lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Anyway I can open serial console sessions to multiple devices at the same time, and broadcast my input to all of them (iTerm on Mac is the terminal emulator I'm using). It's just a matter of how many commands I'd have to run by hand, and how long they'd take otherwise lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just assumed you were working via SSH. I know my way around that. If a server is only accessible locally it's waaay beyond saving from my end so I let the DC team work on that :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I *am* the DC team :P the remote arm of it, anyway
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Trust me, I wish I could do everything I need to do via ssh. Working through these serial console servers suuuuuucks in comparison
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    SSH rules
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I love that there's a network filesystem that runs on top of ssh - sshfs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use it in most of my home network for mounting network storage in various *nix VMs
  • Veho @ Veho:
    sshfs you say...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I use SFTP but it doesn't have the bells and whistles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dumb dx11 and lutris
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sshfs allows you to mount networked storage on a machine as a FUSE filesystem. It's sftp under the hood but has all of the interactivity and usability you'd expect of a locally mounted filesystem. Downside, it can slow down a little bit with massive directories, but I haven't personally run into that yet
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This perspective is all linux oriented fwiw. I believe there's an sshfs driver for Windows, but I haven't used it yet. and no idea for MacOS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ftp is life if not on wifi
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ftp is life if not on wifi