Advice for buying a new flashcart.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by imyourxpan, Feb 12, 2007.

Feb 12, 2007
  1. imyourxpan
    OP

Member imyourxpan GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I currently own a DSLink and I was pretty happy with it, but as more games have been released, less games seem to work. I want to buy a new flash cart and my 1st question is what's better? Slot-1 or Slot-2? I understand that Slot-2 can run GBA games, but is the NDS compatibility better than slot-1?

Considering that, what would be the best buy?

I want it to use a MicroSD card, fit flush, 100% or nearly 100% compatibility, and a price range of 40-60(usd).
    DS Download Play isn't necessary, bit it would be nice if it worked.

I already have a MicroSD card, but should I upgrade to a faster one? I currently have a SanDisk MicroSD card, I don't know the speed or anything, but it's 1gb. (I bought it off of a friend, along with the DSLink)

I like to thank everyone in advance for helping me out.

-Peter

2. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Have a look at R4/M3 DS Simply For Slot1. Don't worry about the card speed. Your card will work fine for it.

3. 7llusion

Member 7llusion GBAtemp Regular

France
    Ypu could consider Acekard+ for 100% compability with homebrew, I have no slowdowns and use a Sandisk notUltra 1gb
    Illusion

4. sonicwind

Newcomer sonicwind Newbie

United States
    If you really want to replace the dslink you can get an R4/M3 simply or wait for the EZ5 with the slot 2 card so you can play gba and nds and do it all [​IMG] Or if you want to keep using the dslink you could go for an m3 simply or EZ4 lite deluxe if your using a ds lite.

5. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    I have a G6 and I am extremely happy with it. The only bad thing I could ever say is it's low homebrew compatibility but this issue no longer exists due to the new DLDI interface. I have never had a ROM that wouldn't run on my G6 lite, sure sometimes I had to disable DoFAT and Software Reset but I'm still happy with my purchase. The GBA compatibility is also very good, I have found about two games that wouldn't run correctly (sonic genesis seemed slow, don't know if it's like that on the original cart.) If I were you I would probably wait for the Slot-1 G6 though.

6. imyourxpan
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much you guys, this really helps me decide on what to get. I was going towards the M3 DS Simply. Now i'm interested in the EZ5 and G6 slot-1. I thought you couldn't use MicroSD with the G6? Thank you so much

7. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    No you can't use microSD with the G6, I'm really sorry. I didn't read all of your post [​IMG] It's 512MB of fixed memory!!! Sorry!

8. imyourxpan
    OP

United States
    lol no it's alright. Don't be sorry, you still presented me with useful information on slot-2 solutions. Thank You [​IMG]

9. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I'd have to recommend the R4DS. I also have a G6 Lite which is great for DS but definitely not worth the price for the GBA functionality. The G6 Lite GBA menus suck and the loading times are pretty damn slow.

If you want an excellent (and cheap) flashcart, already own a microsd and aren't too interested in playing GBA roms then I definitely recommend the R4DS!

10. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The G6DS (slot 1 - currently not released) is 16mbits internal memory, which is equivalent to 2 gigabytes, so it would probably be cheaper (?) than a 2 gig micro SD + *any other slot1*

11. imyourxpan
    OP

United States
    Hmmm...now i'm stuck between the G6 and M3 DS Simply...

Thank You everyone...again [​IMG]

12. 4saken

Australia
    Heres another one to complicate your decision. The M3 Real, the successor of the M3DS Simply, should be out at a similar time to the G6DS Real. So if you're waiting for that, you might as well wait for this [​IMG]

13. imyourxpan
    OP

United States
    lol great, I was so close to purchasing the M3 DS Simply. Hmmm, when will the M3 Real come out?

14. 4saken

Australia
    Well the G6DS and M3Real are supposedly coming soon (I read somewhere G6DS would be coming out by Chinese New Year, however it is not unlikely), but I guess if you can't wait that long, you would still be safe with an M3SDS or R4

15. imyourxpan
    OP

United States
    hmmm, what's the big difference between the Real and Simply? I mean i've been reading good feedback on the simply with game compatibility. Could it be the option of playing GBA Games? I read a rumor about it somewhere, forgot where though..

16. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    No ones knows for certain, all the m3 team has released is that REAL will fully be 100% identical to playing with a regular DS cart and an addition of a RAM pack if I'm not mistaken.....so this could mean GBA games but everything is speculation until the product is finally released. For what it's worth, the simply does a perfect job already other than Castlevania POR I'd say.

17. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    I gotta throw my hat into the ring and recommend the R4DS.
    I'm an EZFlash4Lite user (not got into slot-1s yet), but I recently got an R4 for a friend and I gotta say I was well impressed with it!
    I want one myself now........