Advantages of Wii over Wii U

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
And I suppose 240p is faster than 480p (especially if you add scanlines), since I never encounter noticeable framedrops with these emulators, no matter which game I play (even SFX, or Kirby, or Megaman X2 and 3, which rely on special chips that require extra work from the CPU)?

I think there will be no performance difference running them at 240p or 480p.
Actually, there's a little performance difference, yes. Run a standalone SNES emulator, for example. Play Doom, Star Fox, or even Yoshi's Island (certain levels). Use the FPS counter to note the performance difference between resolutions.

Yes, it obviously was doing some kind of scaling, considering the image looked all jagged and all.
This was horrendous, but at least my TV (a 2013 Samsung model) could display it, which isn't always the case, from what I'm reading.
That's the point of having good scaling in the first place. Any lame user telling you video quality is dumb or doesn't matter will always need to fight you with their lack of common sense just to convince you their investment is somehow more, worthy of the money they spent, I guess? They then turn to forums to perpetuate the myths so the uninformed commit the same mistakes.

But since OSSC triples the lines, I now get 720p, which is HD compatible, and it is night and day quality-wise.

I can never go back to 480p now.

Another thing I forgot to mention : the OSSC displays 4:3 aspect ratio in 720p, which means you don't have to either switch your Wii to 4:3, or choose "ratio correction" in the emulator options (the latter giving a horrible picture with GenPlus).
OSSC Pro & RetroTink 5X-Pro are one of the best investments around. I have my Gamecube connected to it to play with the Game Boy Player and other Gamecube classics, pure line doubling bliss.

Is there a software or hardware solution for people who do not have a microphone? Perhaps Wii Speak? Or the built-in-mic of the Wii U Gamepad?
I guess Dolphin could emulate commands with button presses (but I have no experience with Doplhin).
There isn't, currently.

Oh I see, that's what I was thinking, enabling 960p. Too bad it detects as a PC and colors get bad. Maybe a Game Mode function? But don't mind it too much, I'm just thinking that maybe the scanlines will look better if you get the 2x480p instead of 3x 240p.
But since you said it looks good already, everything is fine.
Since the OSSC does an incredibly better job upscaling, he will be better served upscaling from the original resolution if he can (240p), instead of 480p which is already being upscaled first by the software emulator, which does a very good job but wasn't programmed with pixel perfect accuracy from the start (using the SNES as an example).

Just for everybody to get an idea (and even if it's hard to actually get a correct picture of it), here's an example of what the OSSC can achieve with the Wii (but can't with the Wii U, since the device wasn't made for HDMI material).

Of course, to each their own, and there are several settings that can be tuned to match people's personal preferences, but I believe these pictures look pretty much like the real thing, don't you? (the addition of vertical scanlines helps a lot.)

PS : you might have to zoom to see the picture at its real size. Scanlines don't do well with thumbnails. Also keep in mind these pictures have already been resized to 50%, for them to be better displayed on screens and phones.

View attachment 311800
Scanlines look amazing in these hardware upscalers, too bad most pictures don't do them justice.

Wayden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The difference between the Nintendo Wii vs wii u console is that Wii is less costly, has a WiiMote as its prime controller which requires batteries, doesn’t support HD Graphics or a touch display or a video chat feature. Nintendo wii u has much higher ram than Wii and i think wii u is much powerful than Wii.
Read more here for the main deferences between Nintendo Wii U vs wii.

Last edited by Wayden,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over