Advantages of Wii over Wii U

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's up with the aggressiveness and hostility here? Being self-opinionated isn't going to help answering the initial question.
Ofcourse no-one is wrong or right here as personal preference is personal preference but if thats what it boils down to when someone is choosing a console....
↑↑↑↑
Exactly my thoughts.
=========

I tend to use the Wii U for Wii U games only (I might look into Wii Virtual Console injection and applying higher clock rate to emulators at some point). Ease of use, boot time, resistance to bricking on experiments make the Wii more suitable for other things (in addition to the GC ports). Why should I even chose "Wii or Wii U", when it can be "Wii and Wii U"?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've obviously upset 4k Frank back there.... Not trying to be hostile to anyone, the point I'm not making very well is that my Wii has sat in the cupboard since i the day I got my Wii U. (well technically the day it was modded) and the same story regarding my gamecube. All 3 aforementioned consoles are now in the one place with one power socket and one tv cable..... ie- Wii U. A hell of a lot to be said for that these days also. (maybe energy consumption doesn't figure to these people either since mom and dad pay for everything!) - awaits childish backlash on that one!!!

If the Wii U is so bad in comparison to a Wii..... Someone should tell the folks in the SMG2 Gamepad thread....

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As everyone should have noticed by now, it's more of a user profile thing.
I bought my Wii so I could play games at 240p on a CRT, GREAT emulation capabilities (thanks to the scene), native component out support and cheap cables. So the Wii u would never be an option for me.
What I see as a advantage on the Wii U is the DS games, but I think everyone would buy a 3DS for that purpose.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advantage of my Wii U over my Wii:

The Bluetooth works, so I can actually use Wii Remotes on it.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You obviously missed my point..... I'm not the one with rotten eyesight as i can see all games perfectly well..... It seems the people who do REALLY care about this shit must live perfect little lives. I grew up in the 80s when your 'guy' was a fucking sqaure dot!!! You are seriously trying to tell me we live un an age where graphics or displays are crap????

Ofcourse no-one is wrong or right here as personal preference is personal preference but if thats what it boils down to when someone is choosing a console.....Yeah.... Get a grip. They're obviously not actually playing anything.
I feel like you're about to cry and your Nintendo stock options are going down because of the Wii U not doing everything and more. You're weird, square dot man. Get a grip on people not sharing your aggresive stance and just talking about the pros and cons of a console. Don't be resentful of people's choices or lives.

I also noticed you struck out everything in my sentence "the wiiu does everything the wii did"

Tell me one thing it can't and I'll direct you back to my earlier statement.
Already made a list. Other users already stated more facts. Read. Easy.

It seems the people who do REALLY care about this shit must live perfect little lives. I grew up in the 80s when your 'guy' was a fucking sqaure dot!!! You are seriously trying to tell me we live un an age where graphics or displays are crap????
The fact that you'd rather accept mediocrity because you grew up in that distant era called the 80s and you don't like doing things correctly, its your personal lame preference. Don't take it on others for sharing on topic facts about a simple question.

Not trying to be hostile to anyone
But you are since your very first comment...
And yeah..... If u want a gamecube then go buy one.......
I'll use my perfectly working Wii, with native Gamecube support, as the company intended, and its superior options over your Wii U. Not sure why you ruffled your feathers in the first place, having rotten eyes and loving your Wii U like a person is not an excuse to be a hostile little overgrown man. Chill.

Gotta love these arguments that start nit picking over pixel rates and shit! I've never noticed any difference between GC games on Wii to Wii U, maybe it exists but get a grip!

In short Wii.... Older console
WiiU..... Newer console that does everything the Wii did.

If you want gamecube ports buy a gamecube ffs!!
So much for "Ofcourse no-one is wrong or right here as personal preference is personal preference" :rofl2:. You need a snickers, man?

I bought my Wii so I could play games at 240p on a CRT, GREAT emulation capabilities (thanks to the scene), native component out support and cheap cables. So the Wii u would never be an option for me.
What I see as a advantage on the Wii U is the DS games
Said it before, and it's now reinforced again.

Last edited by niuus,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow... So much attention for little old me?? I know I'm right and you haven't said anything to change my mind. Opinions is opinions.

I've obviously hit your nerves somewhere sore so I'll leave you be. Unless your giving out free snickers....

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon guys lets focus on what's important: console me on the absence of decent Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon support on Wii.

The best (probably only) VC injection is Bomberman Hero, but with major slowdown and sound distortion. You also need to edit the game ID manually for the Wii pause menu to work. It's closest to playable though.

Not64 and Wii64 Rice both weird-slow-crash on passing through doors loading new areas - black screen, with really really slow audio playing (and the emulator hangs and you have to restart).

And then there's that Wii U thread, mocking me, with its Mario Golf-injected Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon functionality.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
C'mon guys lets focus on what's important: console me on the absence of decent Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon support on Wii.

The best (probably only) VC injection is Bomberman Hero, but with major slowdown and sound distortion. You also need to edit the game ID manually for the Wii pause menu to work. It's closest to playable though.

Not64 and Wii64 Rice both weird-slow-crash on passing through doors loading new areas - black screen, with really really slow audio playing (and the emulator hangs and you have to restart).

And then there's that Wii U thread, mocking me, with its Mario Golf-injected Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon functionality.
That game has always been tough to emulate, from what i've read on many threads. I remember using that injection before, afaik it ends up hanging on a certain part. Support for it might eventually be in Not64 or Wii64, which has been the case in the past for most popular games.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
i got a shiity brand hd tv hanspree and i dont know if it converts to 480i or not all i know is that it works xD
Hi everyone, hi @pedro702 .

Just wanted to add something about the whole "240p" debate.

I own a TV that can technically display 240p, although it obviously "converts" it to 480 somehow, judging from the horrible image it provides.

It used to do it to me with both Wii and Wii U, so I ended up never using it on my emulators, even wondering why they would offer such option on these software.

Then I bought the OSSC, which as you must probably know is a "line multiplier" to keep it simple, and can only be connected to a Wii (no HDMI support, since the device is meant to be used with old consoles and such).

A "new world" opened up to me that day, since choosing 240p would actually make the OSSC triple the picture (you can do more, but I find 720p to be satisfying enough and much more compatible than the rest with my TV), resulting in a super crisp picture to which I could apply a very convincing "scanlines" effect.

I always favored the Wii a bit because it's a console I find to be more stable (faster to boot, can be shut down in case of freezes, less dithering colors than vWii, plus the fact that the picture is slightly blurred compared to vWii can sometimes be seen as an advantage).

But ever since I've bought the OSSC and could really use 240p at its best with 8 bits and 16 bits emulators (and God knows the Wii has good ones, thanks to people like @niuus ), I only use my Wii U for "Wii U content" (which is still a lot, this console will be the Dreamcast of the 2010s in a decade or so, mark my words).

And in case you wonder, I tried the OSSC on my friend's real Genesis and compared the picture with GenPlus on the original Wii : it looked exactly the same.

So for people who don't own original consoles and don't want to buy them (whether because of price, lack of space, difficulties to find a working one), a used modded Wii coupled with a USB drive and the OSSC is the next best thing in my opinion.

Have a nice sunday!

Last edited by Brand Newman,

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I own a TV that can technically display 240p, although it obviously "converts" it to 480 somehow, judging from the horrible image it provides.
Only a SD CRT can output true 240p, HD CRTs and LCD TV's won't output 240p, they will scale it.

It used to do it to me with both Wii and Wii U, so I ended up never using it on my emulators, even wondering why they would offer such option on these software.
Since the Wii U can't output 240p, you could just set it to a higher resolution on settings ? The option is there for those who have CRT's, it works fine on the one I have and the ones I had.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this argument about 240p and video quality is dumb. If you care that much about video quality you should have a GC with a digital out port as the Wii's output was worse than that. If you don't care enough about video quality to have that, you don't care enough about the difference between the Wii and WiiU beyond being able to argue about it here. If you aren't running that through an OSSC like someone else who was actually chill about bringing it up instead of being an absolute ass hat then you don't really care about it beyond being able to be a douche to someone about it here. Combine it with the "the Game Pad isn't a benefit because I personally don't use it" argument and it really seems like arguing for the sake of arguing. And the hostility over it while trying to gaslight the other user who was not hostile to begin with and only responded to hostility with hostility, the dude making these arguments and striking through text in quotes needs to touch grass.

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't emulate on a Gamecube all the things I can on a Wii. But if it's about Gamecube games then yes, the gamecube have better video output. On other hand, I think it's better to use a Wii even for this purpose because I don't have money to buy a Gamecube component cable, and the Wii cables are super cheap.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Only a SD CRT can output true 240p, HD CRTs and LCD TV's won't output 240p, they will scale it.

Yes, it obviously was doing some kind of scaling, considering the image looked all jagged and all.
This was horrendous, but at least my TV (a 2013 Samsung model) could display it, which isn't always the case, from what I'm reading.

But since OSSC triples the lines, I now get 720p, which is HD compatible, and it is night and day quality-wise.

I can never go back to 480p now.

Another thing I forgot to mention : the OSSC displays 4:3 aspect ratio in 720p, which means you don't have to either switch your Wii to 4:3, or choose "ratio correction" in the emulator options (the latter giving a horrible picture with GenPlus).

And I suppose 240p is faster than 480p (especially if you add scanlines), since I never encounter noticeable framedrops with these emulators, no matter which game I play (even SFX, or Kirby, or Megaman X2 and 3, which rely on special chips that require extra work from the CPU)?

Reactions: Muliro

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, it obviously was doing some kind of scaling, considering the image looked all jagged and all.
This was horrendous, but at least my TV (a 2013 Samsung model) could display it, which isn't always the case, from what I'm reading.

But since OSSC triples the lines, I now get 720p, which is HD compatible, and it is night and day quality-wise.

I can never go back to 480p now.

Another thing I forgot to mention : the OSSC displays 4:3 aspect ratio in 720p, which means you don't have to either switch your Wii to 4:3, or choose "ratio correction" in the emulator options (the latter giving a horrible picture with GenPlus).

And I suppose 240p is faster than 480p (especially if you add scanlines), since I never encounter noticeable framedrops with these emulators, no matter which game I play (even SFX, or Kirby, or Megaman X2 and 3, which rely on special chips that require extra work from the CPU)?
What if you run the Wii and the emulators at 480p? Maybe you can get a higher resolution ?
I think there will be no performance difference running them at 240p or 480p.
The new scanlines on standalone emulators and even the scanlines overlay on Retroarch looks really good in my opinion, running with the component cables at 480p on a 1080p LCD TV here.

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
What if you run the Wii and the emulators at 480p? Maybe you can get a higher resolution ?
I think there will be no performance difference running them at 240p or 480p.
The new scanlines on standalone emulators and even the scanlines overlay on Retroarch looks really good in my opinion, running with the component cables at 480p on a 1080p LCD TV here.
I'm not sure I'm following you, but here's what happen when you use the OSSC : the Wii outputs 480p (you could set the OSSC to display 960p, but it gets detected as a PC resolution by my TV, which washes out the colors. Besides I think it looks a bit like what Wii U outputs, which is arguably worse).

When entering the homebrew (let say, SnesGX), the interface is still in 480p.

Only when you select a rom (assuming you set the video mode to "original") will you switch to the 720p / 4:3 resolution.

If you return to the menu, or select anything else than "original" in the video mode, you will be taken back to 480p, which will look a bit blurred and/or jagged, depending on the app.

As for the scanlines, I agree some of them are quite nice, and probably not much resources consuming, but OSSC can tune them fine, and the result is applied to a 3X240 image, instead of 480.

Reactions: niuus and Muliro

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is there a software or hardware solution for people who do not have a microphone? Perhaps Wii Speak? Or the built-in-mic of the Wii U Gamepad?
I guess Dolphin could emulate commands with button presses (but I have no experience with Doplhin).
nintendont is not an emulator so no there is no solution just dont use the mic on wiiu only like 5 games used it and it was optional for most games since most of them were mario partys and you can turn mic off in-game.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
nintendont is not an emulator so no there is no solution just dont use the mic on wiiu only like 5 games used it and it was optional for most games since most of them were mario partys and you can turn mic off in-game.
Nintendont is not an emulator but it does emulate controllers (e.g. playing with Wiimote). So it would be theoretically possible. Why should I not use the mic on WiiU if there is no such function? Only a few games use it, but some need it (Odama). In Mario Party the mic games are optional but you cannot play them without it, I think.

Reactions: niuus

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure I'm following you, but here's what happen when you use the OSSC : the Wii outputs 480p (you could set the OSSC to display 960p, but it gets detected as a PC resolution by my TV, which washes out the colors. Besides I think it looks a bit like what Wii U outputs, which is arguably worse).

When entering the homebrew (let say, SnesGX), the interface is still in 480p.

Only when you select a rom (assuming you set the video mode to "original") will you switch to the 720p / 4:3 resolution.

If you return to the menu, or select anything else than "original" in the video mode, you will be taken back to 480p, which will look a bit blurred and/or jagged, depending on the app.

As for the scanlines, I agree some of them are quite nice, and probably not much resources consuming, but OSSC can tune them fine, and the result is applied to a 3X240 image, instead of 480.
Oh I see, that's what I was thinking, enabling 960p. Too bad it detects as a PC and colors get bad. Maybe a Game Mode function? But don't mind it too much, I'm just thinking that maybe the scanlines will look better if you get the 2x480p instead of 3x 240p.
But since you said it looks good already, everything is fine.

Reactions: Brand Newman

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Oh I see, that's what I was thinking, enabling 960p. Too bad it detects as a PC and colors get bad. Maybe a Game Mode function? But don't mind it too much, I'm just thinking that maybe the scanlines will look better if you get the 2x480p instead of 3x 240p.
But since you said it looks good already, everything is fine.
Just for everybody to get an idea (and even if it's hard to actually get a correct picture of it), here's an example of what the OSSC can achieve with the Wii (but can't with the Wii U, since the device wasn't made for HDMI material).

Of course, to each their own, and there are several settings that can be tuned to match people's personal preferences, but I believe these pictures look pretty much like the real thing, don't you? (the addition of vertical scanlines helps a lot.)

PS : you might have to zoom to see the picture at its real size. Scanlines don't do well with thumbnails. Also keep in mind these pictures have already been resized to 50%, for them to be better displayed on screens and phones.

scanlines00.jpg

scanlines01.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Muliro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...