Hipcheck7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all!

I'm struggling to find the search times to find the results I want.

In short, I have a Wii U and a Wii with GameCube ports.

Both are fully soft modded.

I know that I can do a lot more with the Wii U (For example, play Wii U games)
But what advantages would the normal Wii Have?

Is there fun home brew with the GameCube ports? Maybe certain online features? Maybe GBA connectivity?

I;m out of the loop here and would love any feedback you guys have!

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

Hey all!

I'm struggling to find the search times to find the results I want.

In short, I have a Wii U and a Wii with GameCube ports.

Both are fully soft modded.

I know that I can do a lot more with the Wii U (For example, play Wii U games)
But what advantages would the normal Wii Have?

Is there fun home brew with the GameCube ports? Maybe certain online features? Maybe GBA connectivity?

I;m out of the loop here and would love any feedback you guys have!

Pro Wii U / vWii:

- Better Video Output Quality
- More USB Ports
- GamePad with Screen
- Actual Homebrew / Exploits
- Nice Console

Pro Wii:

- Very nice Console
- Better GameCube Support on RVL-001
- More cIOSes (not really needed with todays Homebrew,but...)
- RESET Console Function
- POWER OFF Option if Wii freezes
- Very good Brickprotection (Priiloader / BootMii)
- Better USB Power "Support"
- Many,many Homebrew
- Proofed and reliable Hacking / Modding Support
- Easy to use Game Backup Play Options.
- USB Devices easy to use with Windows (FAT32 / NTFS Support)

These are only some Points.:)
Thank you.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Pro Wii U / vWii:

- Better Video Output Quality
- More USB Ports
- GamePad with Screen
- Actual Homebrew / Exploits
- Nice Console

Pro Wii:

- Very nice Console
- Better GameCube Support on RVL-001
- More cIOSes (not really needed with todays Homebrew,but...)
- RESET Console Function
- POWER OFF Option if Wii freezes
- Very good Brickprotection (Priiloader / BootMii)
- Better USB Power "Support"
- Many,many Homebrew
- Proofed and reliable Hacking / Modding Support
- Easy to use Game Backup Play Options.
- USB Devices easy to use with Windows (FAT32 / NTFS Support)

These are only some Points.:)
Thank you.
First point is completely incorrect. The Wii U has lower video quality for anything not Wii U native. The Gamepad is a so-so benefit.

Wii U pros:
- Wii U games.
- Wii U Virtual Console, which means access to a handful of other titles.
- Extra CPU power for a couple of emulators that benefit from the so-called overclocked mode. WiiSXRX is the most popular example of 3D heavy games benefiting from it, to reach full speed. (e.g.: Bloody Roar 2, among many others)

Wii U cons:
- Lower video quality output for anything not Wii U native.
- No 240p, so no proper pixel perfect video output of the emulated consoles, nor on the supported Gamecube titles (e.g.: Resident Evil 2 & 3, Mega Man collections). Swiss is also not useful here.
- No Gamecube controllers without the adapter.
- No Game Boy Advance link cable connectivity for Gamecube games or any homebrew related features (like using the GBA as an extra controller, cartridge saves/ROM dumper, etc.).
- Start time is much, much slower. With a Wii, you can start a game in less than 10 seconds depending on your configuration.
- All 4 USB ports are very weak on the power side, which may limit your hard drive options if you don't have a separate power brick for the storage device.
- A few emulators and apps are 240p only, which won't work at all if you use the HDMI port.
- Can't use your own Gamecube discs. Some games may exhibit some flaws as Nintendont doesn't have 100% compatibility yet.

Last edited by niuus,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
First point is completely incorrect. The Wii U has lower video quality for anything not Wii U native. The Gamepad is a so-so benefit.
He did not asked about vWii and Wii,he asked about Wii U in general.
And I think,maybe the Wii U HD TV Connection is maybe a little better than the standard Wii Output.
So completely incorrect is not correct.:P

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It depends mostly on having a switch too.
Almost every first party wiiu-exclusive game has been ported to the switch.
If you don't posses a switch, a wiiu is way preferred over a wii. Wiiu catalog is sh*t for third parties games, but there is plenty of nintendo games in the wiiu.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Wii U pros:
- Wii U games.
- Extra CPU power for a couple of emulators that benefit from the so-called overclocked mode. WiiSXRX is the most popular example of 3D heavy games benefiting from it, to reach full speed. (e.g.: Bloody Roar 2, among many others)
I have played Bloody Roar through Nintendont on Wii. Are you saying it can run better on WiiU? BTW Gamecube games are not emulated on Wii nor Wii U.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Wii U pros:
- Wii U games.

Wii U cons:
- Lower video quality output for anything not Wii U native.
- No 240p, so no proper pixel perfect video output of the emulated consoles, nor on the supported Gamecube titles (e.g.: Resident Evil 2 & 3, Mega Man collections). Swiss is also not useful here.
- No Gamecube controllers without the adapter.
- No Game Boy Advance link cable connectivity for Gamecube games or any homebrew related features (like using the GBA as an extra controller, cartridge saves/ROM dumper, etc.).
- Start time is much, much slower. With a Wii, you can start a game in less than 10 seconds depending on your configuration.
- All 4 USB ports are very weak on the power side, which may limit your hard drive options if you don't have a separate power brick for the storage device.
- A few emulators and apps are 240p only, which won't work at all if you use the HDMI port.
- Can't use your own Gamecube discs. Some games may exhibit some flaws as Nintendont doesn't have 100% compatibility yet.
this is also incorrect i can play all emulators on vwii 240p or not and my wiiu is always connected via hdmi, it actualy dependids on your tv, if your tv supports hdmi 240p, i know mine does since i used it.

Reactions: jeannotte

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gotta love these arguments that start nit picking over pixel rates and shit! I've never noticed any difference between GC games on Wii to Wii U, maybe it exists but get a grip!

In short Wii.... Older console
WiiU..... Newer console that does everything the Wii did.

If you want gamecube ports buy a gamecube ffs!!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gotta love these arguments that start nit picking over pixel rates and shit! I've never noticed any difference between GC games on Wii to Wii U, maybe it exists but get a grip!

yeah for me the only wii advantages are wii with gc consoles ports to use the gc peripherals like gc gba link cable and gc microphone through the gc card slot, other than that for me the wiiu is vastly superior all in all imo. the only time i boot my wii nowadays is to use gba link cable on wii for some gc games,other than that wiiu all the way, if your not using the gc peripherals your much better served on wiiu for everything else.

Last edited by pedro702,
  • Haha
Reactions: niuus and Lostbhoy

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
this is also incorrect i can play all emulators on vwii 240p or not and my wiiu is always connected via hdmi, it actualy dependids on your tv, if your tv supports hdmi 240p, i know mine does since i used it.
You don't have a TV that allegedly supports 240p over HDMI, but the fact is that the TV is converting the signal to 480i, which is the norm for most flat sets. But i'll give you the benefit of the doubt over the unproven claim and also pat your back.

So, if you have rotten eyes, why is that our problem? :wacko:

"omg if you want Nintendo 64 buy a Nintendo 64 ffs!!"
"omg if you want Super Nintendo buy a Super Nintendo ffs!!"
"omg if you want a Nintendo DS buy a Nintendo DS ffs!!"
"omg if you want 240p buy a crt ffs"
"omg don't emulate buy the consoles ffs!!"

These people... :rolleyes:

He did not asked about vWii and Wii,he asked about Wii U in general.
You seem to have bad reading comprehension. Did you read the general list?

I have played Bloody Roar through Nintendont on Wii. Are you saying it can run better on WiiU? BTW Gamecube games are not emulated on Wii nor Wii U.
Really old trick, pretty strange that you didn't hear about it before. There are a lot of videos but you can see @SaulFabre's short video about it:

Final Fantasy VII is also 100% on the Wii U, among many others. I placed a speed indicator inside the credits to certify that you are running on the OC mode.

And I think,maybe the Wii U HD TV Connection is maybe a little better than the standard Wii Output.
Documented facts kill placebo.

Where does it say Gamecube is being emulated? Lol. Seems to me that you don't know that driving Gamecube games over the Wii CPU speed (which is what Nintendont does) creates some problems with specific games. Hence why it does not have 100% compatibility.

Last edited by niuus,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamepad is a so-so benefit.
Honestly I'd say "being able to play games away from the TV" is a pretty cool benefit. Hell, I grabbed a Wii U again for the sole purpose of playing gamecube games in bed.

Ehh, as much as I kind of agree with the sentiment that the Wii U is more than good enough as a Wii for like, 99% of people, I don't think it's wrong to analyze the faults it does have. We're on GBAtemp after all, which has a highly technical and rather particular base of users - and for those that care about these things, they really care.

Reactions: niuus

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Honestly I'd say "being able to play games away from the TV" is a pretty cool benefit. Hell, I grabbed a Wii U again for the sole purpose of playing gamecube games in bed.
Yeah, I understand. I just never use it, in fact having to be tied to the Gamepad ended up being one of the weaknesses for the console, as you can't, for example, change settings or get to mod it for the first time without having a functional Wii U Gamepad, or else you will have to pay for an extra one from someone else's broken console.

I'd rather play always on the big TV, that's why I prefer consoles over handhelds. Probably most beneficial to households that have to share one TV set for the whole family, or I guess if your missus needs the TV you can play on the Wii U "tablet".

Ehh, as much as I kind of agree with the sentiment that the Wii U is more than good enough as a Wii for like, 99% of people, I don't think it's wrong to analyze the faults it does have. We're on GBAtemp after all, which has a highly technical and rather particular base of users - and for those that care about these things, they really care.
This.

Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I understand. I just never use it, in fact having to be tied to the Gamepad ended up being one of the weaknesses for the console, as you can't, for example, change settings or get to mod it for the first time without having a functional Wii U Gamepad, or else you will have to pay for an extra one from someone else's broken console.

I'd rather play always on the big TV, that's why I prefer consoles over handhelds. Probably most beneficial to households that have to share one TV set for the whole family, or I guess if your missus needs the TV you can play on the Wii U "tablet".
Oh yeah, I totally get it's not for everyone, and there are a lot of people who'd rather just stick to TV only - I just don't think it should be entirely dismissed. Might not be crucial to a more technical analysis like this thread takes, but overall I'd say it's a useful feature, at least casually.

The Wii U's over-reliance on the gamepad is a definite fault though. There was a brief period where I had a Wii U without one, and the thing couldn't even do simple things like connect online or uninstall games without one, which is an awful design choice.
Still does work as a Wii, though...!

Reactions: niuus

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You don't have a TV that allegedly supports 240p over HDMI, but the fact is that the TV is converting the signal to 480i, which is the norm for most flat sets. But i'll give you the benefit of the doubt over the unproven claim and also pat your back.

Really old trick, pretty strange that you didn't hear about it before. There are a lot of videos but you can see @SaulFabre's short video about it:

Final Fantasy VII is also 100% on the Wii U, among many others. I placed a speed indicator inside the credits to certify that you are running on the OC mode.

Where does it say Gamecube is being emulated? Lol. Seems to me that you don't know that driving Gamecube games over the Wii CPU speed (which is what Nintendont does) creates some problems with specific games. Hence why it does not have 100% compatibility.

i got a shiity brand hd tv hanspree and i dont know if it converts to 480i or not all i know is that it works xD

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You obviously missed my point..... I'm not the one with rotten eyesight as i can see all games perfectly well..... It seems the people who do REALLY care about this shit must live perfect little lives. I grew up in the 80s when your 'guy' was a fucking sqaure dot!!! You are seriously trying to tell me we live un an age where graphics or displays are crap????

And yeah..... If u want a gamecube then go buy one....... What does "these people" mean??? Great argument well said!!

I also noticed you struck out everything in my sentence "the wiiu does everything the wii did"

Tell me one thing it can't and I'll direct you back to my earlier statement.

Ofcourse no-one is wrong or right here as personal preference is personal preference but if thats what it boils down to when someone is choosing a console.....Yeah.... Get a grip. They're obviously not actually playing anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...