antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the full article on Ars Technica here:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...h-arm-port.html

This is somewhat exciting as it could mean Flash on the DS. Perhaps someone could write a YouTube viewer? Maybe you could play a collection of Flash games on your DS without much hassle of conversion? At the very least, it's an interesting article. It may not cause any ripples in the DS homebrew scene, but here's hoping.

(In case you weren't aware as a Homebrew user, the DS has two processors: an ARMv7 and an ARMv9. Both of these are possibly capable of running an ARM targeted Flash Player. However, "Adobe is specifically aiming at ARMv6 and ARMv7." So it seems the player will be better optimized for the ARMv7 on the DS.)

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even if someone did happen to make an ARM port of Flash, the Nintendo DS simply doesn't have the hardware specs to play 99% of the flash games out there. The Nintendo DS only has 4 megs of ram and a 33 and 66 mhz processors. It can possibly play simple flash games under a megabyte in size but anything else won't work on the DS.

D

Deleted-119707

unless theres a way round it lol
we'll have a slot 2 ram pak, so it may help

litium

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ok. NeoDS did not teach us anything... Anything is possible with the right coding. Stop fucking saying "is not capable of". That was erased of my head when i saw NEODS.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be so hard to use the ARM code of Adobe for the DS, if they intend to public release.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I knew this news and i really loved it, the main idea was for making it work with iphone / touch. On the other hand those who are waiting for their pandora would be very happy, craigix would certainly buy the license.
wink.gif

Lithium, NeoDS was able to do because the cpu of the ds could handle the cpu of the neogeo. The only difference was memory, which could be surpassed using streaming. Unlike the cpu, there is no method to bypass it. Except overclocking, and optimizing. But even if you have done that, an overclock ds still couldnt possibly play it. The psp is alittle useless with this one also, I know it would work but there is a big chance it'll be useless. Alot of flash games uses the mouse / mouse + keyboard scheme. :|

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Over a year later, and guess who still hasn't released their ARM version of Flash?

The iPhone and the Android still don't have Flash. Good times.

Just updating everyone on the current situation.

picketf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
From the later flash versions for PC the obejctive clearly is slowing down the flash engine. For people with multi core pc's it's not even noticable but try a PIII and you get a gradual slowdown from v.8 onwards. Same can be said for the increasing download sizes and pesky installers that will registry protect flash.ocx so you have to follow 10 step procedures to remove and reinstall it in case an update went wrong

Wonder if this has something to do with the golden arrow
http://www.storyofstuff.com/

In any case people not contributimg to enterprise partners have no right to have flash running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...