Add +1 to the 3DS death count shall we?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Devin, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Update: The GW3DS team have replied saying that they are covering shipping my bricked 3DS XL system to them in order to see why it bricked. I've agree'd to do so but in the mean while this topic has gone as far as it can in terms of actual discussion and has resorted to slander as well as spam. So I'm closing the topic until I get a reply from the GW3DS team telling me the cause of my 3DS bricking. Which their initial consensus is that my 3DS XL was bricked due to potentially having a developer GW3DS unit. So until then thread = locked. If you have some input there are a few other brick threads or if you have a question for me directly click the PM button.

Thanks.

Original Post:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Ok, if a legit reviewer got a legit brick, a legit reviewer of GW, then I am inclined to believe it at 100%.

filfat, MAXLEMPIRA, UltraMew and 6 others like this.
  3. Warrior522

Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

Jul 21, 2010
    United States
    Good lord, even you, Devin? This IS worse than I had figured...

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Confirmed. Devin=Chinese Mafia :P.

Serious note :(. I've switched back over to my sd with emu 6.3 and b1 for now. Until this mess is sorted out.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Damn, that sucks dude. With this much backlash, they are either going to have to rectify it or, well, continue to refuse to support customers :unsure:

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I only have one question: IIRC, your 3DS is hardware modded. Does restoring the NAND work? Probably not, but it's the best way to check whether the brick is gateway-related.

7. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Gateway is worse than Sony the Mafia.

8. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    My 3DS XL had the NAND dumping wires and everything taken out once the emuNAND feature was released.

9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Ah, too bad. Oh well, it's probably safe to assume it's brick code-related anyway.

10. aireca

aireca GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2009
    United States
    Details man, for example which emunand firmware had your SD

11. Devin
    OP

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    I had no emuNAND firmware on my SD card. I was previously using my 3DS' 32GB SD card in my Wii. I formatted the SD card and then put the GW3DS launcher.dat file onto the SD card. Everything else I did to make sure it wouldn't brick is in my first post. I've emailed the GW3DS team explaining my situation and will post their reply once I get it.

12. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Well that's a damn shame. :(

13. R4iFanboi

R4iFanboi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2013
    United States
    They made their money. They don't care about us.

filfat, Cyberdrive, Ammako and 5 others like this.
  14. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I have given all informations i have and can give. If that is not enough, then i really don't feel sorry for the defenders.

15. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    Time to update this one? :P

I'm sorry for your loss, may your 3DS rest in Valhalla!

RodrigoDavy, EZ-Megaman and osirisjem like this.
  16. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    in a twisted way , im kinda glad someone round here that has a track record and legitimacy has experienced this , as all the supposed reports seen to come from relative noobs to this site and others , and that did lend some weight to the clone card fake account speculation , i was unsure either way. But after reading Devins experience of which im sorry to hear fella , im now convinced they had either a intended this , or fukked up in some way,either way Gateway need to address this properly and stop all the cloak and danger shite.

17. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    While it's completely regrettable, this actually could be quite interesting. We have here an established reviewer on site having issues, playing a "legitimate" Gateway only console, and having encountered this same issue. I'm actually very curious to see how they respond, going that he's a GBAtemp reviewer, given that his repair process may be different going by the fact that he has no vendor to purchase from to contact so that he can initiate the RMA.

Sicklyboy and gamefan5 like this.
  18. jqrn

jqrn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2011

sry if I can't see i from the text. But what firmware are/were you on? was it 2.01b or 2.02b?

im on 2.01b and I am starting to get really nervous now

weatMod likes this.
  19. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    Perhaps your SD card was corrupted which caused the launcher.dat to not run correctly and in turn cause the brick code to go off and then the blue screen.
    I know i used a 32gb SD in my wii as well and after sometime the SD card had gotten corrupted, and even formatting didnt help, i ended up just using a spare 4GB i had for my wii.
    But perhaps the same happened to your SD card. Did you have any trouble running homebrew on your wii w/ the card? (i did, which resulted in me formatting and then just switching SD cards)

Either way, this just shows that 2.0b2 is not safe regardless what GW says, and if they dont remove it in Ver 2.0 (if it ever comes) it would be a waste of an update because many wont be willing to risk their 3ds.
    Goodluck on getting your 3ds Fixed tho, hopefully being a review will help cause GW to repair yours more quickly & for FREE.

20. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Even with the first case that happened with a alleged legit gateway user (Apolooooo, idk how to write, sorry) it seems that the file or the SD doesn't need to be corrupted at all to make the 2.0b2 brick a 3DS, all it needs is to get into a wrong instruction of the launcher.dat to make the console brick, a.k.a. program bug.
    As a fellow Gateway user (since 1.2) I recommend that GW users downgrade their launchers to 2.0b1 or 1.2 and if possible stop using emunand functions, until gateway stop putting bricker codes on their files, or even better, some one launches a patched version with all instances of it removed.