Activision Blizzard Buys Itself Back From Vivendi

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Activision Blizzard is one of the largest game companies on the planet, owning some incredibly popular and successful franchises (Call of Duty, Warcraft, Skylanders, etc.). While many of its competitors have struggled, Activision Blizzard has continued to rake in billions year in and year out.

They do alright for themselves, basically.

However, Activision Blizzard was under the control of Vivendi. Lately there's been some financial drama between the two, as Vivendi made plans to take Activision Blizzard's cash reserves to pay off its own debts. Needless to say, Activision Blizzard was not thrilled about the prospect, and, well...

:arrow: PA Report

This, technically, makes Activision Blizzard "indie". Sorry, Mojang, you are no longer the least-indie indie out there.

Now, while Activision Blizzard has taken control of its destiny, there are some new problems the company will have to face. This move lands the company with about $1.4 billion dollars of debt, and if it messes up, there'll be no one there to catch their fall. It's a heavy risk for the company many accuse of always playing it safe.

So, what do you think? Are Kotick and Kelly acti-visionaries, or are the odds just stocked against them?

2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Inb4everyone butt blasts call of duty.
    In all seriousness, I expect them to be able to bounce back relatively quickly. They're set up to make a lot of profits back during the holiday season (Call of Duty ghosts and the new Skylanders releases.)
    I guess as long as that Disney Infinity thing doesn't blow Skylanders out of the water, they shouldn't have too much to worry about.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    I agree, they will have that cash back in no time. Say what you will about them but at least half of their titles are solid. COD is not my cup of tea but sells well, WoW practically prints money, they have almost the entire Marvel license which is also a surefire way to make money, not to mention Skylanders, StarCraft, and some dozens or more of casual titles. They will be doing fine :)

personally speaking, i think this was a fantastic move on their part and I hope they can continue with what they are doing. I admit of being a sucker for their Spider-Man titles...

chavosaur likes this.
  4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well, as long as WoWtards are around they should not worry too much I guess.

5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I'd pay to see them pay that in 1s.
    It's pocket change for them, I doubt they'll even notice 6billion gone. Which is really a sad thing.

6. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Actually according to the above news they are now in debt for $1.4 billion.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Bah pocket change. Shouldn't take long to earn it back.

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    But if it was pocket change why did that amount hurt them in the first place?

9. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    If Ghosts does well, which it certainly will do, they'll be fine.

And so, Call of Duty becomes an indie game. Never thought I'd see the day.

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    To be technical, it'd only be indie if they self-publish and don't have any developmental contracts.

DiabloStorm, McHaggis and EZ-Megaman like this.
  11. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Does this make CoD players hipsters?

Ron likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here

But, just imagine, Call of Duty on Steam Greenlight and XBLIG.

13. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Technically this changes NOTHING for their status as publishers or developers. It is just a legal thing, nothing else.

14. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Activision Blizzard expect $4.31 billion in revenue this year so the price is quite big for the company. Hopefully they manage to get the debt paid and we'll see some new games along the lines of Starcraft 2. Gotta love that game :P

15. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    This move comes at an interesting time for Blizzard especially. WoW subscriptions continue to drop by almost a quarter of a million players each fiscal quarter, the current numbers are pegged around 7 million subscribers, but it's a long way from the over 10 million just a couple of years ago. That isn't to say the game is dying, but I think it's safe to say the game is on a decline as player interests wane and new MMO games hit the market with more in depth features and even free to play access with no commitment requirement financially.

16. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I wonder if they did an overhaul, and instead of circa 2005 Warcraft we have now, if they did a massive update, if it would bring back players.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
  18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Humble Activision Blizzard Bundle pls