CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Firstly I know about the tread @ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129027 but this refers to an 'Acekard 2', I have an 'Acekard 2i' (the one that's compatible for an NDSi)

[I've tried looking @ Acekards own forum - but unfortunately I can't read Japanese, so I'm trying here instead
wacko.gif
]

I'm occasionally having the same type of symptoms with switching on as 'sumpm1'

It takes a few attempts of switching off/on before it will boot-up pass the Health screen OK. If I'm lucky it's 2-3
biggrin.gif
, if unlucky 8-10 times
angry.gif

It boots up OK without AK 2i in the the slot, but it freezes with AK 2i in with or without a MicroSD card in

When I had this bootup problem I experimented & :-
>Tried different microSD cards (2Gb 'Apacer' and a 1Gb 'Sandisk') - No luck
>Tried both official Firmware (v4.15) and the AKAIO (v1.4) - No Luck
>Tried 'cleaning the contacts' on MicroSD and Acekard - No Luck
>Blown out the DS Lite contacts (not with an Air can though) - No Luck

I've read articles about a 'batch of dodgy AceKard 2' - but as I've said I've got an 'Acekard 2i', so don't think it's that

One thing I have noticed though. It does seem to happen most often when 1 of 2 things are done (although Not all the time)

1) If I take out the MicroSD card to install ROMS, Homebrew, Skins etc & put it back in
note: I've taken out the MicroSD card different ways, which seem to indicate it NOT an AK 'Contacts' Problem:-
a) Taken out Acekard from DSLite, then taking out the MicroSD
b) Taken out the MicroSD while AceKard is STILL in the DS Lite

2) If I 'experiment' with the options (e.g. Cheats, or change Skins etc) - the next switch on MAY 'freeze'

So it's got me thinking that the problem is either
The AceKard is at fault (unlikely as both '2' and '2i' are having same problem)
OR
The problem is with the DS not recognizing the AceKard & locking up - which implies it IS the AceKArd Hardware at fault
OR
It's the MicroSD card Read/Write access - possibly when alterations are done on the MSD, AK sometimes gets 'confused' & locks up the DS
(I have read something about the AK RPG having a special file that determine Unknown MSD Card access speeds - does the AK 2 & 2i also have such a thing ??)

If this is so - what IS the difference between the AK 2 & AK 2i ?? and why do both types have the same problem ?? - does the problem occur with an AK RPG ??

It can't be the Firmware - since both use the same, so it must be some hardware alteration that's different - possibly the '2i' is actually a '2' but with a modification somewhere that allows the DSi to recognize it - & this 'freezing' problem is actually inherited from the original 'AK 2'

Anyone got any thoughts about this - & is there an ACTUAL Solution to it

Oh & on a side note:-
Once I was able to bootup OK - I tried running the Acekard with MicroSD but with No Firmware on it - just in case it WAS a firmware problem
- but it booted up OK & only faulted out when I tried to start the AceKard

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've noticed a lot of people veiwing this - but not leaving any suggestion, or if they've been having trouble with their '2i',
But during this time I stumbled across this thread @ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=124671&st=0 which has got me thinking

Have I got a mislabelled '2i' - is it in fact a '2' with the wrong sticker on

Is there any way of telling the two apart ?? - apart from getting a DSi & trying it out (I've got to wait untill it's released in the UK before I get mine), is there any other way - Colour of Circuit board/Cutout on MicroSD slot etc etc - similar to how DSTT shows their 'Fakes' perhaps

HHHEEELLLLPPPPPP !!!!!

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This sort of problem is more often related to the DS - the little pins that contact the cards in the DS slot are a bit too high for some 3rd party cards (apparently this is especially so in newer lites as they use thinner metal for the pins?) To test it you'd have to open the AK (if it's possible? not sure if 2i is glued or not) and put a strip of something (non conductive, thinking folded over paper or very thin cardboard not much bigger than the contact 'fingers') inside to cause the connections to stick up a bit higher in the cards case so they make better contact with the DS's pins in slot1.

Had this problem with my lite and the R4/AK2/EZ5 etc, the problem was initially caused by using an early batch m3real which bent the pins slightly as it was over-thick. Putting some paper on the outside of the card helped a bit, inside nearly perfectly, taking the DS apart and 'adjusting' the pins solved the problem for all the cards (for now at least.)

Considering how long the 2i has been out, I'm more than a little surprised you didn't just contact your reseller for a replacement. Don't open it to test anything if you have any hopes of treating your reseller fairly/honestly and getting a replacement - ask them about the issue first (I'm pretty sure you aren't the first with this problem, I've read a bit on it here with the 2i already.)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
cory1492 - thanks for the advice, but as I've said earlier - I've taken MSD card out of AK 2i without removing the AK 2i from the DS, so I doubt it's anything to do with the contacts inside the DS

As for 'contacting the supplier for a replacement' - I'm afraid it's too late for that.
cry.gif

Being the curious type of bloke I've already opened the case (It's glued by the way) to put something behind the contacts already.

Seeing that these cards are 'cheap' anyway - I can always buy another from a different supplier if I'm THAT desperate

When I get a DSi (April 3rd in UK) - I'll try it out on that to see if it still happens - it MAY be the DSLite Firmware that's causing the problem (My DS had 'Flashme' done to it, then 'reverted back', so this may of caused a problem)

I personally think it's an inherited fault of the Acekard 2 series
sad.gif
- the freezing is happening even if I DON'T take out any of the cards [AK/MSD] - but why some people have the problem & others don't I've got no idea
unsure.gif

It'll boot up OK - I play a game ROM - let it save, then on next switch on it may or may not lock up on the health screen (a few reboots later & it'll sort itself out). Since neither card is removed from the DSLite - I can't see it being a 'contact' problem

Thanx again for the suggestion though

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I know is that I read that the AK2i is badly made compared to the AK2.

Sorry you're having such trouble. I think it will be a while before we see a truly reliable flashcard for DSi - I suspect all the current ones will be rendered usless soon by Nintendo (see Smiths AK2i review to see why I think that).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
CoconutCake said:

Where did you read that ???

Here's a thought
unsure.gif
-

Is it possible that Acekard had a load of old 'v2.0' lying around (the one that were prone to freeze faults) after making the 2.1 & then found that by a slight modification they could make it compatible for the DSi ???
wtf.gif

linkboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem with the 2i that I just got.

I've tried it in two DS's and its locking up both of them. Its not either DS's as my CycloDS card works without a hitch in both of them.

Just got this too, this sucks
mad.gif

linkboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
robochrono09 said:
doesn't those DSi karts only work on DSi systems?

No, they're compatible with both.

Basically, what looks like is happening is the DS is losing the connection with the contacts of the card. The DS locks up if you remove a card while the system is on (one thing the DSi fixes). You can cause it to happen with a regular DS game (eject it while the system is on, I just did it with Zelda).

Now my card is totally dead. Its not being read at all (
mad.gif
).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
linkboy said:
Basically, what looks like is happening is the DS is losing the connection with the contacts of the card. The DS locks up if you remove a card while the system is on (one thing the DSi fixes). You can cause it to happen with a regular DS game (eject it while the system is on, I just did it with Zelda).
mad.gif
).

Hang on a bit - WHY are you removing the card while the DS is powered up ??
huh.gif

I know that by doing this with a commercial game while in Pictochat, you can determine what Firmware version you've got (see http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Firmware) - but with a Flash Card ?? that's something I would never do.

As for 'losing connection with the contacts' - I don't think so - 'Losing communication with the card' - Maybe

As I've said, mine 'locks up' even if you DON'T remove the card(s) - it's only doing it after a 'save' (i.e. a write to the MicroSD card) & even then it's intermittent.

I think the problem is either AK writing to MicroSD card is too slow, or DS is not recognizing the AK on power up for some reason - both seem to lead to a design fault with the cards

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DSi allows for cart hot-swapping in the menu. That's what linkboy meant.
Did you try the paper trick? You know, open up your AK2i and place some paper behind the contacts?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
kermitfrog said:
CoconutCake said:
Where did you read that ???

i've been told this straight from people who own it. msd read problems, contact problems, and eventually dead kits. the problems seem to be directly related to how much use the kit gets. normal use should not show the onset of these problems for a year or more.

instead of trying to debug crazy problems and putting yourself through all of this just get it exchanged. all acekard products have a 1yr warranty. contact your retailer and ask for a replacement.

-another world

linkboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kermitfrog said:
linkboy said:
mad.gif
).

Hang on a bit - WHY are you removing the card while the DS is powered up ??
huh.gif

I know that by doing this with a commercial game while in Pictochat, you can determine what Firmware version you've got (see http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Firmware) - but with a Flash Card ?? that's something I would never do.

As for 'losing connection with the contacts' - I don't think so - 'Losing communication with the card' - Maybe

As I've said, mine 'locks up' even if you DON'T remove the card(s) - it's only doing it after a 'save' (i.e. a write to the MicroSD card) & even then it's intermittent.

I think the problem is either AK writing to MicroSD card is too slow, or DS is not recognizing the AK on power up for some reason - both seem to lead to a design fault with the cards

I wasn't removing the card while the system was on. As soon as a DS loses contact with the card (which is the same as losing communication), the system will lock up. This happens with every flash card and every retail game and will happen on every single DS, both the original and lite (not the DSi, as that is hot-swappable).

My Acekard was locking the system up even without a MicroSD card in it. Seeing as its behavior that a DS will do when it loses the card, this leads me to believe the system is losing its ability to read the card that is causing the lockup. My Acekard now is totally dead and I can't even get it to read in any DS I put it in (the DS is booting as if nothing is in it).

Something is causing the DS to lose its ability to read the card and the DS is responding accordingly, by locking up.

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CoconutCake said:

I've returned 2 AK2i's to DX.
The 1st worked ok, but the microSD popped out on it's own, bad socket.
The 2nd freezes on the nds health screen.
Asking for a M3real as a replacement now.
DX was good about it though.

Mike

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
It would be nice to send it back & get an alternative (I've had no trouble with an M3 Simply/N5 revolution on a DSLite) - but there's only a couple of Cards that will work on a DSi (Although I've read Cyclos have one 'in development')

Acekard 2i
DSTTi

OK, So I've not got a DSi (yet) - but I do prefer the Acekard features (Time/Calender when browsing,Organise folders for different game types, Play certain files just by selecting them [via plugins], Customise File Icons etc) better than the DSTTi which just shows all 'nds' files in one directory, no 'media' options

Admittedly the DSi has it's own 'picture viewer' & 'Music player' built in, but until then I'd prefer to have the Acekard, just wish someone would admit or at least confirm that there is a problem with the Acekard v2 series

linkboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kermitfrog said:
It would be nice to send it back & get an alternative (I've had no trouble with an M3 Simply/N5 revolution on a DSLite) - but there's only a couple of Cards that will work on a DSi (Although I've read Cyclos have one 'in development')

Acekard 2i
DSTTi

OK, So I've not got a DSi (yet) - but I do prefer the Acekard features (Time/Calender when browsing,Organise folders for different game types, Play certain files just by selecting them [via plugins], Customise File Icons etc) better than the DSTTi which just shows all 'nds' files in one directory, no 'media' options

Admittedly the DSi has it's own 'picture viewer' & 'Music player' built in, but until then I'd prefer to have the Acekard, just wish someone would admit or at least confirm that there is a problem with the Acekard v2 series

Its the same for me, I bought this Acekard so when I upgrade to a DSi, I'll be ready to go.

Agent007

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol same here
smile.gif
but one thing is still stirring up ~ Will the acekard 2i be compatible with the ENG dsi ? I hope that the DSi will let our Acekard 2i's bypass
biggrin.gif

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought mine in advance from realhotstuff. Should be here by the end of this week.

Is this a real common issue? Sounds like I should just avoid using it on my DSL and wait for dsi. Still have my M3.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendude92 said:
I bought mine in advance from realhotstuff. Should be here by the end of this week.

Is this a real common issue? Sounds like I should just avoid using it on my DSL and wait for dsi. Still have my M3.

I don't know about the '2i' but there's quite a few reports about AK '2' on DS (&DSLites) having MicroSD access errors/Screen Freezes, which is supposedly 'fixed' on a '2.1'
This is why I suspect the AK '2i' is in fact old '2' that's been modified to work on DSi - or that the 'faults' is an inherited throughout the '2' series of Acekard (I've not see any reports about the Acekard RPG freezing up on Health screen - perhaps the design is different because of the built in memory)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: make up his mind dude