Local Ninja
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
meh i know some of you guys are a lill annoyd by the fact that the file size limit for a sig is 50kb and an ava is 25kb so i thought of a good idea how about we combine em ya know like you could have a 65kb sig and 10kb ava and those of ya who don't have a sig you could have a 75kb ava instead of the 25kb limit and those who don't have an ava could have a 75kb sig instead of a 50kb one sounds usefull don't ya think?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It would be good if that was allowed, it would mean more freedom in the choice of av and sigs used. The only downside is that it would mean more work for the lazy (
tongue.gif
) staff...

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I'm noticing is that the lengthxwidth of sigs are bigger than the rules said they should be *Hell, mine's guilty of the length part* but no one really cares as long as the file size isn't bad...

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I'm noticing is that the lengthxwidth of sigs are bigger than the rules said they should be *Hell, mine's guilty of the length part* but no one really cares as long as the file size isn't bad...
400*100 is a "guideline" of sorts. Although I dont see anyone going over 200 px high and 500px wide

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think anyone manages to stick to the 100 high rule; it's far too narrow. Although sometimes if it's a really good sig people can get away with pushing the height limit further than 200 (*cough*Taka.M*cough*Luse*cough*)
happy.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This issue has come up before - the problem is that it's far too hard to enforce for the staff. With a set number for each piece, it's easy to verify and remove offending material. To have to add the sizes together is a pain in the tail.

The current system is one that ended up working best for everyone, regardless of their connection. You can comfortably browse GBAtemp on a cellphone, and that's pretty cool. It doesn't take much to optimize your images/flash, and I for one am glad that we have these limits - brings more attention to the discussion, not the ludicrous sigs/avas some people choose to have. Some forums you can't enjoy the thread because every person has a ridiculous sig - and if the same person has more than one post worth of input to a thread..

I can't imagine you will find a lot of support for this idea within the rest of the staff either. The people who will support it the most are the ones with ludicrously sized sigs that have no place here anyway, or people that just haven't optimized their work enough. As many members around here have proved, you can do a LOT with 50Kb.

The 400x100 is a reasonable guideline, that really isn't enforced unless someone does something so far outside those restrictions that it's an eyesore, breaks the page, etc.

50Kb on a sig and 25Kb for an av keep the loading to a minimum and the enjoyability to a maximum. To add the limit together means a lot of 75Kb sigs with no avs, or as close to 75Kb sigs as possible with tiny avs. There aren't a lot of people here with 25kb avs..and really, what on Earth does a 75Kb sig do other than just clog the interweb?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson