Hacking About emunand in SX OS

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nope because you're offline in EmuNAND. Nintendo will know nothing of your activities. The switch on EmuNAND will never send his certificate.

And you can't unplug your sdcard.

If this certificate actually exists then wouldn't the OS write the activity to it no matter what and send it via sysnand? Unless there's actually two of them on each NAND, then the banning situation would decrease drastically!

Maybe they're looking for suspicious activity on a kernel base. Time will tell.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this certificate actually exists then wouldn't the OS write the activity to it no matter what and send it via sysnand? Unless there's actually two of them on each NAND, then the banning situation would decrease drastically!

He was assuming your EmuNAND stays offline and your SysNAND remains clean from a hacking perspective. If either SysNAND or EmuNAND gets banned, both get banned. EmuNAND is just a copy of your SysNAND. The only difference is that its on the SD card rather than inside your Switch. Your risks of being banned are around the same with using either.

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

sysNAND can't see the activities of emuNAND and vice versa.
You should remove the sd-card while using SysNAND.

The switch has no way to store files besides emmc and sd-card.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He was assuming your EmuNAND stays offline and your SysNAND remains clean from a hacking perspective. If either SysNAND or EmuNAND gets banned, both get banned. EmuNAND is just a copy of your SysNAND. The only difference is that its on the SD card rather than inside your Switch. Your risks of being banned are around the same with using either.

I get it, but there would be no reason for sysnand to get banned if no hacks were applied to it. What I was asking is if the "certificate" is shared by both sysnand and emunand or maybe it's stored on a much lower level. If so both emunand and sysnand would be vulnerable to Nintendo since let's say you choose to play a game on EmuNAND and it gets recorderd in the cert or whatever on the "lower" partition (not in EmuNAND nor Sysnand). The moment you log in online that cert which is independed from both sys and emu would be checked online for unregular use and bam hits the banhammer.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get it, but there would be no reason for sysnand to get banned if no hacks were applied to it. What I was asking is if the "certificate" is shared by both sysnand and emunand or maybe it's stored on a much lower level. If so both emunand and sysnand would be vulnerable to Nintendo since let's say you choose to play a game on EmuNAND and it gets recorderd in the cert or whatever on the "lower" partition (not in EmuNAND nor Sysnand). The moment you log in online that cert which is independed from both sys and emu would be checked online for unregular use and bam hits the banhammer.
They both share the same certificate hence why its no more safe to use SysNAND or EmuNAND with hacks online. If one gets banned, so does the other. EmuNAND is just a copy of your SysNAND.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did also say they are going to make it possible to run games that require newer FW without updating. So I wouldn't worry too much.

This is the reason I want emuNAND. I want to keep my 3.0.0 console on 3.0.0 for the exploits/HB available to it. With emuNAND, I would be able to update it and run games that require higher firmware, but keep sysNAND low allowing me to still use the exploits as needed (offline hax boot, ect.). If they can fix the firmware issue via spoofing or frankenfirmware means, then emuNAND becomes less of a need/requirement for me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is the reason I want emuNAND. I want to keep my 3.0.0 console on 3.0.0 for the exploits/HB available to it. With emuNAND, I would be able to update it and run games that require higher firmware, but keep sysNAND low allowing me to still use the exploits as needed (offline hax boot, ect.). If they can fix the firmware issue via spoofing or frankenfirmware means, then emuNAND becomes less of a need/requirement for me.
Online could still be a problem though. I've decided I'm just going to keep mine updated for online and eShop access, online is a pretty big deal in Splatoon and Mario Kart and I do like playing those every now and then.
I can still run homebrew and will be able to pirate games at the same time as everyone else so I'm not really missing out on anything.
When they start their paid online I'm going to get a family plan if it works across multiple Switches, and share it with my cousin and later on my brother as well when he gets a Switch for Smash. I'll get my brother to go halfsies on it and it ends up cheaper than 2 separate plans. Then I'll share the other 5 slots with whoever.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Online could still be a problem though. I've decided I'm just going to keep mine updated for online and eShop access, online is a pretty big deal in Splatoon and Mario Kart and I do like playing those every now and then.

Yeah, I'm trying to hold out on my main console at 4.1.0. I'll probably end up updating it anyway, but I want to keep my options open for now. Smash and their online service are things I'll definitely buy into as well. I really like the offline boot option, but carrying around a dongle isn't that bad either. I did it for GW, so this really isn't much different I suppose. Just have to wait and see what Atmosphere is capable of at release.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I'm trying to hold out on my main console at 4.1.0. I'll probably end up updating it anyway, but I want to keep my options open for now. Smash and their online service are things I'll definitely buy into as well. I really like the offline boot option, but carrying around a dongle isn't that bad either. I did it for GW, so this really isn't much different I suppose. Just have to wait and see what Atmosphere is capable of at release.
The dongle should fit in most pouches so it's not like you're really carrying around anything extra.
I heard people already have ROM loading working in private, ready for when Atmosphere releases, so we might not need SX at all. Open source dongles are also in the works.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude you wanted tx to make you coffee too? if you want to use atmosphere that much dont make excuses about tx, the exfat limitation is your own fault, on 3 and 4.1 there was a update at that time for that particular format, tx works even in 5.02 the same as the other versions, so if you dont want to use it because of the poor limitations on your console, well dont get it, but do not be a whiner
good point baby,hes complaining too much do not buy tx product and thats it.find something else to do and do not waste anybodys else time.

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I was asking is if the "certificate" is shared by both sysnand and emunand or maybe it's stored on a much lower level. If so both emunand and sysnand would be vulnerable to Nintendo since let's say you choose to play a game on EmuNAND and it gets recorderd in the cert or whatever on the "lower" partition (not in EmuNAND nor Sysnand).

By using any NAND nothing will get stored outside of that NAND.

Yes, using any NAND with hacks online (doesn't matter if sys or emu) brings a high risk of getting banned.
And yes: A ban affects the whole console.

But again:
The sysNAND can't see, what you did in emuNAND.
There's no information (like play history) shared between them.

Therefore keeping all unauthorized use in one NAND and OFFLINE
and using online access only in the other (clean) NAND,
would drastically reduce the chance of getting banned.

Last edited by MHDestination,
Reactions: Fuk

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
TX would need to implement some form of log scrub down to allow switching between nands and going on and off line . To the person above complaining about fat32 - TX already said they would support binary reading of compressed files to over come the 4gb fat32 restriction - the Firmware will allow users pack the games into multiple rar or zip files, these files will be readable by TX SX.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Isn't this all about getting full access to homebrew? Also, I just gave an idea. For me, it seems like a good one for that people who want to play pirated games without risk.

I don't think you can play pirated games without risk.
You will mostly want to go online at some point.
I guess if you are willing to do that it's better to stay offline for good.
The only benefit emuNAND could have would be to play games requiring higher fw than the one you are on.

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TX would need to implement some form of log scrub down to allow switching between nands and going on and off line . To the person above complaining about fat32 - TX already said they would support binary reading of compressed files to over come the 4gb fat32 restriction - the Firmware will allow users pack the games into multiple rar or zip files, these files will be readable by TX SX.

They confirmed split files.
There's no compression involved.
No rar, zip etc... But .xc0 .xc1 .xc2 and so on

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
They confirmed split files.
There's no compression involved.
No rar, zip etc... But .xc0 .xc1 .xc2 and so on
My Bad . I do still think they will support compressed file container reading kinda like kodi for AV files. Stop all the extract cut n slice crap as all scene release come in multiple rars anyway -less to do later.

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My Bad . I do still think they will support compressed file container reading kinda like kodi for AV files. Stop all the extract cut n slice crap as all scene release come in multiple rars anyway -less to do later.

Don't think that we'll see a real compression anytime soon.

Compressed games would (obviously) need to be decompressed on the fly.
That would add some extra cpu and memory consumption
and therefore degrade peformance.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Don't think that we'll see a real compression anytime soon.

Compressed games would (obviously) need to be decompressed on the fly.
That would add some extra cpu and memory consumption
and therefore degrade peformance.
Naw it wouldn't be that much overhead to read multiple files on the fly . I mean if a pi can handle it .........

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, would you recommend playing n64 games on a ps3 through retroarch?