Hacking A9LH and GW Questions

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am confused... Some people are saying to go ahead with A9LH, others are saying to avoid it?

I am wanting to do the following, if they are possible:

- Fast boot emuNAND, better boot rate?
- Still use SC DSTwo
- Still use Gateway (Red card) and still use Gateway cheats

I read on this thread that I need to use the Gateway Blue Card? Also, I read that there is a risk to installing A9LH? How high is risk? I only have 1 N3DS... Clarification on all this appreciated :)

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Skeet1983 I would go ahead and do what @Quantumcat instructed. I have an older version of a9lh and I am still using my GW along with Luma. That was back when it was still considered risky. I've read through the latest guide and it's the easiest and safest it's ever been! I suggest you go for it. You can still use emunand (which I do), your GW with the cheat engine (which I do), and you can still use your DSTwo I suppose (if GW works, the DSTwo works).
You don't need the GW blue card at all. All you need is in those 2 guides that Quantumcat linked you.

Reactions: Quantumcat

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly i used the plailect guide last week on a brand new n3ds, if i followed it word by word it would not have worked. like when you got to format rednand twice you need to boot tinyformat while in rednand, you need to keep re-injecting the FBI for that after every format. the guide tells you to go back to step 6 while you should go back a couple of steps further to do it right.

also remember that if he want to boot gateway by default then he cannot use https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/#additional-note
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/#additional-note
both my n3ds are booting a9lh now using bootctr so they go to my trusted old gateway by default. do note that the latest version of bootctr (v1.0) is giving me black screens, v0.41 is working perfectly fine.

this guide does use boot ctr and give you gateway boot by default:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Can @samiam144 and or @Quantumcat walk me through all this? I am really confused and lost... :(
Sure - start at Part 1 (navigation to the right of the guide's homepage) and if you have a question about a specific step, feel free to ask here or in PM.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Honestly i used the plailect guide last week on a brand new n3ds, if i followed it word by word it would not have worked. like when you got to format rednand twice you need to boot tinyformat while in rednand, you need to keep re-injecting the FBI for that after every format. the guide tells you to go back to step 6 while you should go back a couple of steps further to do it right.

also remember that if he want to boot gateway by default then he cannot use https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/#additional-note
both my n3ds are booting a9lh now using bootctr so they go to my trusted old gateway by default. do note that the latest version of bootctr (v1.0) is giving me black screens, v0.41 is working perfectly fine.

this guide does use boot ctr and give you gateway boot by default:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/
Gohan note that the guide has received a major overhaul. RedNAND is no longer used, everything is done on sysNAND now and it's a lot shorter.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do I select in part 1 of guide? There are several browser selections...

Also, can I still do/use the following in emuNAND (After A9LH install):

- SaveDataFiler
- BigBlueMenu/DevMenu (I think that is what it is called)

I am not home yet to start process, will be home later this afternoon. I might have more questions when I start A9LH install...

Last edited by Skeet1983,

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
What I would like to see form part of the guide or even a separate thread are bullet points - pros and cons of A9LH, Menuhax and RX Tools. I've followed all the posts but all I am really able to take away from A9LH is that it boots 10 seconds quicker and you can recover from accidental updates. Other than that, I'm at a loss to understand what other benefits you reap. With the NX on the horizon and 3DS titles dwindling, does A9LH provide some functionality moving forward that the other 2 methods don't ?

Would anyone be able to put anything together ? It would be really useful for some of us. Thanks.

D

Deleted-379826

What do I select in part 1 of guide? There are several browser selections...

Also, can I still do/use the following in emuNAND (After A9LH install):

- SaveDataFiler
- BigBlueMenu/DevMenu (I think that is what it is called)

I am not home yet to start process, will be home later this afternoon. I might have more questions when I start A9LH install...
Yes you sure can! Although I'd recommend an alternative cia installer other than BigBlueMenu. It is called FBI and is the best and fastest cia installer as of today. The guide will get you it so don't worry! Also for part 1 all you need to do is make sure you have the program "Decrypt9WIP" in the homebrew launcher! The guide assumes you have NOTHING so let me make it easier! So download the latest release of this: https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases Extract it and copy the Decrypt9WIP folder to the 3ds folder on your sd card! You are now already on step 2. Have fun :P

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you sure can! Although I'd recommend an alternative cia installer other than BigBlueMenu. It is called FBI and is the best and fastest cia installer as of today. The guide will get you it so don't worry! Also for part 1 all you need to do is make sure you have the program "Decrypt9WIP" in the homebrew launcher! The guide assumes you have NOTHING so let me make it easier! So download the latest release of this: https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases Extract it and copy the Decrypt9WIP folder to the 3ds folder on your sd card! You are now already on step 2. Have fun :P

Ok, thanks :)
So what all guides do I need to follow and in what order?

I am hoping to end up with the following:

- Fast boot and better boot rate
- Still use SC DSTwo
- Still use my Gateway (Red card) and Gateway cheats

Also, will SysNAND and EmuNAND still be used? Or just one of them? Sorry for all my questions... Just want to be sure of stuff before I proceed (I don't want to lose out on using SC DSTwo and my Gateway)...

D

Deleted-379826

Ok, thanks :)
So what all guides do I need to follow and in what order?

I am hoping to end up with the following:

- Fast boot and better boot rate
- Still use SC DSTwo
- Still use my Gateway (Red card) and Gateway cheats

Also, will SysNAND and EmuNAND still be used? Or just one of them? Sorry for all my questions... Just want to be sure of stuff before I proceed (I don't want to lose out on using SC DSTwo and my Gateway)...
@Quantumcat 's two guides in the order of plialects and then the second one she linked! All those questions are a yes. And you can use sysnand AND emunand but it is not required and is recommended to only use Sysnand!

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Quantumcat 's two guides in the order of plialects and then the second one she linked! All those questions are a yes. And you can use sysnand AND emunand but it is not required and is recommended to only use Sysnand!

Ok thanks. I am confused about using sc dstwo. I thought that could only be used in sysnand 9.0 or lower...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

Ok thanks. I am confused about using sc dstwo. I thought that could only be used in sysnand 9.0 or lower...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since you have CFW it should be fine if not there is definitely a workaround! Do not worry!

-Xin-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
@Skeet1983 I installed A9LH to be sure if it's safe or no.
It was a success , so you should do it.
Just read everything and download everything needed (one fie are over 700 mb ).

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I proceed with A9LH, can anyone confirm if SC DSTwo can be used with it?

Update: Nevermind, someone in another thread confirmed it works :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok, I am going to take the A9LH plunge when I get home :)

Do I follow your link to the Decrypt9 first? Then after that, what guides do I follow?

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer