Homebrew A wii settings menu replacement app

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After reading GartinusPrime's reply here, it occurred to me that this is true: with priiloader being able to forward anything, and plenty of options to run all sorts of channels (postloader, wiiflow, mighty channels), you don't really need the system menu anymore...

...except if you want to change some settings. You know...in case you use a different TV or network or something like that. Now I would certainly like it if postloader would add it to its arsenal of awesome options, but I'm also a practical man. I don't see much urgence in adding what another program can already do.

Hence this question: is there a homebrew dol out there that has a way of changing these same settings as the system menu settings? One that works under sneek/uneek, if possible.

I've been in the scene for a couple years and have never stumbled upon it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?
smile.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Never heard of Waninkoko's app before, so not really sure if it covers all the settings or not, but if not, there is a function in libogc to boot the System Menu directly to the Settings page. It should be pretty straightforward to build a DOL that loads the Settings page of System Menu.

Of course, I would assume that when you exit Settings, you would be taken to the regular System Menu, but that may not be the case if Priiloader is installed. I don't know if exiting the Settings reloads SM or not. If so, it should load the "Return to:" option in Priiloader.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the system menu doesnt reload itself when you exit the settings. but you can press the home button and tell it to reload itself, which would cause pr*loader to run.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of like the 360 wii menu however I'm not a 360 fan and it would get tiring constantly staring at bordom hm... I think the most interesting part of the 360 is flipping through the menus to figure out where everything is. NO IM SERIOUS............ I think a cool Modern Media Center look might be cool; different tastes, different ways of life.

So why is it we can completely change to Wii Menu out in sneek/uneek but not on real nand? has this question been asked befor?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kylster said:
I kind of like the 360 wii menu however I'm not a 360 fan and it would get tiring constantly staring at bordom hm... I think the most interesting part of the 360 is flipping through the menus to figure out where everything is. NO IM SERIOUS............ I think a cool Modern Media Center look might be cool; different tastes, different ways of life.

So why is it we can completely change to Wii Menu out in sneek/uneek but not on real nand? has this question been asked befor?
You can do it on real NAND. No one ever said otherwise. Just usually people wouldn't want to because its safer and easier on *NEEK.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the "settings" part of the wii settings is written entirely with html, javascript, and css. you can change it and make it look like whatever you want.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
giantpune said:
the "settings" part of the wii settings is written entirely with html, javascript, and css. you can change it and make it look like whatever you want.
How are the actual settings changed? Javascript functions?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have a javascript plugin they use to link the c code with the html. it provides a class or structure or whatever its called in javascript called wiiSettings. they say "var wii = new wiiSettings();" and then, they can say stuff like "wii.se = 2;" which will play sound effect #2 or "wii.nickname" which will let them read and write the nickname setting for the console. the c and c++ code is actually doing the work, but it does so in response to what the javascript plugin is telling it to do.

i managed to map most of the structure members and their function and make my own version of the plugin for the PC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOj8WovS4w the goal behind this little project was ultimately to be able to rewrite the settings. it just got put on the back burner for now.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
kylster said:

You can do it on real NAND. No one ever said otherwise. Just usually people wouldn't want to because its safer and easier on *NEEK.

Indeed much safer on SNEEK, but as said the SM can be replaced on a real system. I've done it for 2 different special projects. You MUST have bootmii/boot2 if you try it though.

QUOTE(giantpune @ Sep 10 2011, 07:25 PM)
they have a javascript plugin they use to link the c code with the html. it provides a class or structure or whatever its called in javascript called wiiSettings. they say "var wii = new wiiSettings();" and then, they can say stuff like "wii.se = 2;" which will play sound effect #2 or "wii.nickname" which will let them read and write the nickname setting for the console. the c and c++ code is actually doing the work, but it does so in response to what the javascript plugin is telling it to do.

i managed to map most of the structure members and their function and make my own version of the plugin for the PC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOj8WovS4w the goal behind this little project was ultimately to be able to rewrite the settings. it just got put on the back burner for now.
I was wondering if there was something like this...that could've been useful when I was screwing with the HTML over the summer. I had to repack the SM and use SNEEK. Cool to see this being developed
smile.gif

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Indeed much safer on SNEEK, but as said the SM can be replaced on a real system. I've done it for 2 different special projects. You MUST have bootmii/boot2 if you try it though.
I have a Wii with bootmii/boot2 and I would totally replace my SM if I could LoL; then again post loader is as much of a SM replacement as I need. What we need is a cool PS3 SM replaced for the W!!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oops...sorry, guys. I totally forgot about my own thread.
blush.gif

@IcyVeins: thanx, but unfortunately, that doesn't work very well on uneek (no wonder, as the thing is quite old
tongue.gif
).

@jj-kwik: I've seen that video before. Not much more on sources, though.

@JoostinOnline: no offense taken. I just want to minimize the amount of 'clicks' to get somewhere. And having an application to run the system menu settings right next to swiss would help me remember to switch to normal cable settings before running it (instead of running into a black screen because it doesn't support component cables yet).

@giantpune: wow...I had no idea that the 'settings'-part of the system menu was that (relatively) uncomplicated. If I ever find the time to learn how to code, I already have my first project.
smile.gif

(I once knew a bit of javascript, c and c++, and HTML is easy to begin with)

@all: thanx for the responses so far.
smile.gif

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I just finished making what you want(ish). Run this and it swaps your Wii between 480i and 480p, depending on what setting you have. It doesn't do anything else and I don't know what it will do on a PAL Wii.

I've included a nice shiny icon and a meta.xml file so you can run it in postLoader.

ProgressiveSwitch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay