Hardware A ton of 3DS questions

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Do I have to launch the apps in order to use its StreetPass/SpotPass functionalities (ex. Do I have to run the Mii Channel in order to share Miis?)

2. Will Play Coins/Steps count increase even though I leave the 3DS to sleep whilst an application/game is running/game is suspended?

3. Do I have to launch StreetPass Mii Plaza everytime I go out to gather more Miis? Will it still work if StreetPass Mii Plaza is suspended (pressed Home button then put to sleep mode)?

4. Do any of you use Power-Saving mode (found in Screen Brightness options)? Opinions?

5. Is manually selecting Sleep Mode work the same as closing the DS to enter sleep mode?

6. How does SpotPass exactly work? What if it connects to hotspots that, although have no security, require internal registration? For example, I can go to a shopping mall where they have unsecured hotspots but they only ask information once you connect to that hotspot.

I'm very very confused with how to exactly implement StreetPass and SpotPass.

Kudos to the person who answers these clearly. To me it's quite baffling.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I can answer two of them for you:

R2DJ said:
1. Do I have to launch the apps in order to use its StreetPass/SpotPass functionalities (ex. Do I have to run the Mii Channel in order to share Miis?)
You need to activate the streetpass option in each game or app, but once it's active you don't need to have it running, just have streetpass turned on in the settings of the 3DS.

QUOTE(R2DJ @ Mar 29 2011, 01:55 AM) 3. Do I have to launch StreetPass Mii Plaza everytime I go out to gather more Miis? Will it still work if StreetPass Mii Plaza is suspended (pressed Home button then put to sleep mode)?
You don't need to have it running at all. As long as you've got streetpass activated it will collect Miis automatically. You only need to launch the Mii Plaza to look at what you've collected.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
2: They increase when it's on it's side and closed/sleeping. | way, I tried shaking it for a minute or two when it was like - and I got no steps, but I didn't test it like a scientician.
4: I do. It just makes it less bright.
5: Yes.

6: Don't know. I don't think it'll connect to any open network, but it probably will connect to the ones they've announced, like BTFon in the UK.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
1. No, but you do have to activate it. Once you do, if you go into the streetpass settings you can see all of the streetpass fuctions you have running in the background (Like you'll have a Mii icon, an SF4 icon etc)

2. Yep!

3. No, it'll pick them up no matter what you were doing when you put your 3DS to sleep, as long as you've activated the streetpass function for that particular software.

4. Never used it I'm afraid, not sure what it does.

5. I think so, although apparently sleep mode may not work with some apps, according to a warning I saw on my 3DS at some point.

6. I assume it just won't work if it's one of those spots that appear as open when you browse them, but take you to a registration homepgae when you try and open a web browser on them.

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply guys. I need some more clarifying though...

spiritofcat said:
R2DJ said:
You need to activate the streetpass option in each game or app, but once it's active you don't need to have it running, just have streetpass turned on in the settings of the 3DS.

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Mar 28 2011, 04:15 PM)
1. No, but you do have to activate it. Once you do, if you go into the streetpass settings you can see all of the streetpass fuctions you have running in the background (Like you'll have a Mii icon, an SF4 icon etc)

3. No, it'll pick them up no matter what you were doing when you put your 3DS to sleep, as long as you've activated the streetpass function for that particular software.
So...let's say I have Street Fighter in the cart slot... Will I be able to use its StreetPass functionality even if I close the 3DS while it's in the main menu or do I have to launch the game for SF StreetPass to work? If it's the other way around (close 3DS while Street Fighter is loaded), will I still be able to collect Miis if that's the case?

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You don't even need to have a cartridge in the 3DS. The 3DS saves all StreetPass data to the system and StreetPass will find everyone who has ANYTHING that you have activated StreetPass for.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
R2DJ said:
So...let's say I have Street Fighter in the cart slot... Will I be able to use its StreetPass functionality even if I close the 3DS while it's in the main menu or do I have to launch the game for SF StreetPass to work? If it's the other way around (close 3DS while Street Fighter is loaded), will I still be able to collect Miis if that's the case?
Yes you can. No you don't. Yes you will.
And as above, you can use sf4's streetpass fuctions with a ds cart, pilotwings, or any other game or lack there of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0