Homebrew Suggestion A SNES Classic emulator (Canoe) port?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
where is Snes classic emulator (canoe) for Switch now it been 6 month already should b released now
It's vaporware, which, in my opinion, isn't a surprise.

Reactions: Kioku and CeeDee

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's the Point in using Canoe??? Other than it was made by Nintendo.
You have good enough hardware, the use BSNES that blows away canoe and snes9x.
You have less than enough hardware for Bsnes use snex9x with retroarch.

Reactions: Vorde

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
We already have SNES9x (in two forms, if you really can't stand the look of RetroArch for some unfathomable reason) that plays without additional input latency and supports the broader SNES library with flying colors, including MSU-1-patched titles. Literally the only exceptions are games that rely on rendering individual scanlines at a time rather than hurling the framebuffer out to the screen at once.

No point in porting an objectively worse emulator. Though I can't speak about the frontend personally, since I was never a fan of it to begin with.

Vadographer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To address your reasons why Canoe should be ported in the more modern day...
1. That "lovely Nintendo interface" is in the process of being recreated, and the NES classic interface was already created for the switch with LaiNES and NESaliser support.
2. I can't speak on Canoe having less lag than snes9x, but snes9x is also not the only SNES emulator on switch, and there are more coming soon to address and fix its issues.
3. The patched games could be put on the switch, but there is no guarantee that they will work, as they may be dependent on certain hardware, like the SNES classic's hardware.
4. This requires Canoe not to be an emulator, but to be its own operating system entirely. This last one is completely improbable without porting the operating system itself to the switch.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. That "lovely Nintendo interface" is in the process of being recreated, and the NES classic interface was already created for the switch with LaiNES and NESaliser support.
2. I can't speak on Canoe having less lag than snes9x, but snes9x is also not the only SNES emulator on switch, and there are more coming soon to address and fix its issues.
3. The patched games could be put on the switch, but there is no guarantee that they will work, as they may be dependent on certain hardware, like the SNES classic's hardware.
4. This requires Canoe not to be an emulator, but to be its own operating system entirely. This last one is completely improbable without porting the operating system itself to the switch.

Plus the Nintendo Interface is not part of the emuator... With a snes mini you can run different snes emulator using the same interface..

Though I can't speak about the frontend personally, since I was never a fan of it to begin with.
The Frontend that came with the Snes Mini is nice if you have less than 30 games once you have more it becomes a clusterfack, then you have to start making folders... In the end it gets ugly.
So for less than 30 games it's ok...
More than 30 games, then a frontend like the one that uses recalbox is nice or xmb that uses lakka/retroarch.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
We already have SNES9x (in two forms, if you really can't stand the look of RetroArch for some unfathomable reason) that plays without additional input latency and supports the broader SNES library with flying colors, including MSU-1-patched titles. Literally the only exceptions are games that rely on rendering individual scanlines at a time rather than hurling the framebuffer out to the screen at once.

No point in porting an objectively worse emulator. Though I can't speak about the frontend personally, since I was never a fan of it to begin with.

If anything I would like to see snes9x-bright ported to the switch which would be much easier since it is already a Retroarch core and is apparently open source (though I haven't been able to find the source code from a quick search). In case you didn't know, Snes9x bright is a fork of snes9x that has several improvements (including special chip emulation) backported from bsnes so is much more accurate than regular snes9x.

If canoe could be ported at all it would almost certainly run under Lakka rather than the native switch OS since the snesc is Linux based. Though I think a snes9x bright port would be a much better idea and much easier to do and thanks to the better hardware wouldn't have the speed issues with the improved special chip emulation.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If canoe could be ported at all it would almost certainly run under Lakka rather than the native switch OS since the snesc is Linux based. Though I think a snes9x bright port would be a much better idea and much easier to do and thanks to the better hardware wouldn't have the speed issues with the improved special chip emulation.
Which then again bring us again to the question... Then what will be point of porting a capped emulator, when lakka/retroarch have much better cores for emulating snes.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Which then again bring us again to the question... Then what will be point of porting a capped emulator, when lakka/retroarch have much better cores for emulating snes.

Bright's apparently a SNES Mini thing -- that's what a cursory glance on the local search engine brings up, and only it.
If there's no source, there's not much that can be done.

Plus, (S)NES Mini's ARM, and Switch is ARM64; ARM != ARM64.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulating the SNES mini? Well I believe it would not be too difficult to emulate the hardware (but someone would have to spend their precious time and effort to make such an emulator), And then you would need to dump the NAND and run it in the emulator I guess if you want the GUI.
Im not sure if it's possible yet to make NAND dumps for this system.

Also why would you go through such an effort when you could simply create a GUI (that looks just like the SNES mini) for any existing SNES emulator?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bright's apparently a SNES Mini thing -- that's what a cursory glance on the local search engine brings up, and only it.
If there's no source, there's not much that can be done.

Plus, (S)NES Mini's ARM, and Switch is ARM64; ARM != ARM64.

Canoe only has 80% compatibility though; another emulator with the same GUI would be better.

Vadographer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also why would you go through such an effort when you could simply create a GUI (that looks just like the SNES mini) for any existing SNES emulator?
Funnily enough, there is an NES classic GUI that exists for LaiNES, and a SNES classic GUI is on the way with the same idea

Reactions: Kioku

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

Unfortunately the snes9x bright core is for the moment exclusive to the s/nesc as well but at least it is already a Retroarch core and so should be fairly easy to port. But I agree, I would much rather have a lakka/retroarch port of snes9x bright (not to mention a win32/win64 port) than a limited canoe port. Note that snes9x bright will never be incorporated into the main Retroarch tree for various reasons but even so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So, we've got an obnoxious wall of text. Of which, only the first part is relevant. (Not OP btw)

While I can agree that Canoe is a decent emulator, there legitimately is no reason when PSNES works fantastically and is based on SNES9X. Yeah, you don't have the UI, but that's got nothing to do with the emulator itself.

Reactions: Vorde

Vadographer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A guy named Brandon Sellers started developing it, I was in the discord at one point. But the twitter page and the discord for it have mysteriously shut down. Here is a link to the reddit page though
https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHaxing/comments/9sq2hx/bringing_over_nes_classic_edition_to_switch/
I actually got a version of this too, it runs amazingly well

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, we've got an obnoxious wall of text. Of which, only the first part is relevant. (Not OP btw)

While I can agree that Canoe is a decent emulator, there legitimately is no reason when PSNES works fantastically and is based on SNES9X. Yeah, you don't have the UI, but that's got nothing to do with the emulator itself.
Exactly! And even then, somebody is developing the UI that will work with snes9x as a loader

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At the end of the day it doesn't sound like people wanted the emulator ported, just the SNES Classic Interface which would be an infringement on Copyright (I believe).
It looks okay, but I've seen themes that were much better. You want to talk about a sad interface though? Look at the Switch. Square, boring, no sound (besides the little sound effects included for movement and accessing your profile). I miss the days when the Wii and Wii U interface were the standard, that was nice to work with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0