Gaming A question about DLC and system transfer

yacepi15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
I have been playing the new Xenoblade on the Switch of a member of my family (on a second account). The owner has bought the season pass with his account, and i've redeemed a few items that are avaiable (the expansion itself will be released in 12/2018) in my save. I will be able to load the save if i buy the console and i do a save transfer, or i must buy the DLC?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think you can do a transfer for a single profile to another console. it's an entire console to console content, no?
edit: ok, sorry, it seems it's working like that. it's a profile transfer.

you can't copy the savegame alone.
but, if it's possible to transfer only one profile to another console, you'll have to buy both the game and the DLC if this game was bought using the other profile. your profile does not have the information that you can use the DLC for free just because you could benefit from another profile.
I don't think you can load a save which used DLC new content/items, without the DLC installed.
at best, you won't have to buy the game again if it's the physical cartridge and he lent his game to you.

I don't know if you can use a different cartridge or a eShop version if you started it with his cartridge. cartridge have uniqueIDs, not sure it's used to encrypt the savegame or not. I haven't read enough about how the is switch working (are save linked to the game cart/eshop, or interchangeable? can you buy both eshop and cart version and use the same savegame?)

Last edited by Cyan,

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since Nintendo created the Account System, all games and dlc (except physical) are bound to the account and not the console.
On Switch you can only transfer a Profile (+Account) from one Switch to another, this transfers everything on that Profile (Saves/Games/DLC) to the Target Console and deletes everything on the Source Console.

Here more info:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-user-and-save-data

Reactions: Cyan

Chizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You can't transfer content from one account to another, you only can transfer one acount to other Switch (profile+save), if you buy the DLC whit your account you can use your old save in the new Switch, you can use his cartridge or redownload you Digital game if is in your account.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Love the fact Big N made the switch to account base (finally).
But still Nintendo could make some thing a bit better in that regard; SAVES still being my main concern (what if my Switch dies ... is my progress then lost ... (there goes roughly 780 hours of gaming (410 roughly being BOTW).

But besides saves; I would like an option to migrate content between accounts.
Small example; I have both a EU and US Nintendo account. Reason in short; import games (yeah some games still release sooner due to localization (Cave Story +) or dont come in physical form in a region (Resident Evil Revelations Collection). Also take into account download codes.
I accidentally bought a game on the US side which was also available on the EU side. But meh I was being an idiot to put it short.
Now I am forced to always keep the two accounts.
It's not a majoooor issue but still, I like things under one account for ease of mind etc.

So yes to a migrate game / dlc etc from account 1 to account 2.
Still hope Nintendo online is going be more then I expect it to be. But Nintendo has a crappy track record in that regard soo im not holding my breath.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool