Hacking A Possible Pipedream (Do DSis Dream of UnSigned Sheep?)

ignance

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must admit, my complete understanding of the exploits, necessary tools and general terminology of the DSi is vague at best, due to trying to read articles and ultimately skimming them. The FAQ is doing an excellent job of clarifying some misconceptions that are currently going around, and also to quash some of the hopes that I had (Yasu, why are you so silent?).
That being said, I can't help but wonder, what is the possibility of an OTA (over the air) exploit? That is, ever since visiting my local McDonalds in Yamagata, I have a "Nintendo Zone" icon on my dash that will look for Nintendo Zone content to connect, stream and run if I click it. Additionally, the DSi is still able to see the emulated Zones that I run on my old DS Lite (the kiosk demos from Toys R Us, for example. Is it entirely far-fetched to think someone would be able to edit one of these roms (or possibly homebrew a decoy Zone) that would allow for running of streaming programs or code onto the DSi? I'm certain this particular idea has been visited and dismissed early on, but it was a topic I've never really seen approached, and would like to know exactly how far off base my ideas are.
That being said, thanks again for this wonderful forum and for taking the time to read my post.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great idea for a "softmod" DSi, but I think there's two things that need to be addressed:
1). Before you can run it... you'd need an actual exploit. If there was one, then I believe flashcards would be possible for DSi's in DSi mode.
2). Content delivery and storage. If you're just using it for small homebrew apps, you might be able to run one at a time, but bigger games would need storage.

It might be possible to store it on a standard SDHC card, but not sure if it could run NDS files off it.

ignance

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think another problem I have with fully grasping the situation is both the code needed and the delivery area of the payload. While playing some Mario Party DS the other day, I realized that the Download Play option isn't just similar to the one on my DS Lite, it's identical. It seems logical, therefore, that the actual wifi interaction is only DS mode, and thus there would need to be some kind of software update before DSi-relevant data could be streamed. And another firmware update would set back flashcards (again) and potentially throw off any possible current exploits. We seem locked in a vicious circle, and thus prospects are a bit bleak.
Maybe someone at 26C3 will bring forward a good point or idea that hasn't yet been explored, or fully exercised. Either way, thanks for responding!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ignance said:
I think another problem I have with fully grasping the situation is both the code needed and the delivery area of the payload. While playing some Mario Party DS the other day, I realized that the Download Play option isn't just similar to the one on my DS Lite, it's identical. It seems logical, therefore, that the actual wifi interaction is only DS mode, and thus there would need to be some kind of software update before DSi-relevant data could be streamed. And another firmware update would set back flashcards (again) and potentially throw off any possible current exploits. We seem locked in a vicious circle, and thus prospects are a bit bleak.
Maybe someone at 26C3 will bring forward a good point or idea that hasn't yet been explored, or fully exercised. Either way, thanks for responding!
I think that's more to do with the fact that wifi menu files are stored in the game itself.
I actually ended up swapping the wifi language files from Ragnarok Online DS (J) with another games in order to have a 'translated' menu. I also found that some (all?) Japanese games have more Wifi setup options.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.