Homebrew A great template project for your homebrews + an easy build and test environment

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,

I'd like to share with you a 3DS homebrew template project I have made and used during the last few weeks.

I'm developing it in parallel of my 3DS dev tutorial.

It's inspired by ctrulib's template.

It's made for Windows, but you can work with it on other OS's.

I made it because ctrulib's template seemed too incomplete to me, but also because I hate using command-line when I'm working on homebrews with Windows. So I added two little executables that do all the dirty job for me. (If someone feels like making executables for Linux/Mac OS, please contribute!)

Before using this template, you need of course to install devkitARM, ctrulib, ninjhax, etc. (more info in the tuto)

You can browse the template here: https://github.com/xem/3DShomebrew/tree/gh-pages/tutorial/template

And download it here as a zip (<600kb): https://github.com/xem/3DShomebrew/raw/gh-pages/tutorial/template.zip

Features:

- An asset folder (to store your images, sprites, sounds, etc), including a web tool to convert your images in .bin files. (image-to-bin.html)

- A data folder, to store your .bin files

- An emulator folder containing a recent build of 3dmoo for Windows

- A netcat folder containing the software netcat for Windows

- A source folder containing a complete main.c template file (optimized and well commented)

- A "build and play.bat" file (launch it on Windows to build your project, and if the build is successful, the 3dsx file is played with the 3Dmoo emulator, and sent to your 3DS using netcat)

- A clean.bat file (launch it on Windows to perform a "make clean" command, to clean the temp build files of the project)

- A logo.png file (edit it to use your project's logo)

NB: if you want to use netcat to test your builds on a real 3DS (it's recommended), you'll need to install the latest version of hbmenu, launch it, press Y, note the IP and port displayed on the bottom screen, edit "build and play.bat" and set your own values at line 15: cat ../%%F | nc [IP] [PORT]. If you just want to test on the emulator, you can keep the bat as-is. Or remove line 15 if you want.

Thanks for your feedback and happy Xmas!

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
de nada, I hope it'll help people, and that the community will help me enhance it!

I'm sure it will help plenty of people. I'm learning C right now and I've looked at the other template, had a hard time understanding thing. I take one look at yours and things are making sense. It's very well commented and easy to understand with how its all broken down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This is how I have to do it w uremum... https://youtu.be/wV_BPDi8Ems?si=1UUzI1S7Rp6sujmq