AmeenX

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Algeria
I'm hoping good news ...

If i have started the new update and canceled just after it, will the update install automatically after or it will don't change anything ?

Idk sorry

Okay then it won't be long before we hear some good news from GW, Im pretty sure they have waitied in purpose until this update comes out before releasing the new exploit thingy, maybe to increase the chances of getting it working on 9.3

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm hoping good news ...

If i have started the new update and canceled just after it, will the update install automatically after or it will don't change anything ?

NO, seriously, you CANNOT stop the updated process. When the bar starts advancing, the update is being downloaded AND installed. You can cancel it by turning off your router (maybe even the WIFI switch), but you will end up with a partially updated console and I am almost positive that the first thing that Nintendo configures in their updates are patches of exploits.

And don't even attempt to turn the whole system off, or else the 3DS will get bricked.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
NO, seriously, you CANNOT stop the updated process. When the bar starts advancing, the update is being downloaded AND installed. You can cancel it by turning off your router (maybe even the WIFI switch), but you will end up with a partially updated console and I am almost positive that the first thing that Nintendo configures in their updates are patches of exploits.

And don't even attempt to turn the whole system off, or else the 3DS will get bricked.
you can force shut down while it's downloading. It downloads, then installs updates, as does every other competent update-able thing. Once it starts installing is when it gets risky.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
3DS won't actually get bricked. You'd just have to use the safe mode firmware to get it working again. I personally never used safe mode (as I was not aware of it at the time I had an update fail on me when attempting to update to 8.x firmware on a 4.5 3DS), but I bet all you can do in safe mode is perform a system update. :P

neocruxZ

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
...but you will end up with a partially updated console and I am almost positive that the first thing that Nintendo configures in their updates are patches of exploits.

I'm pretty sure, that the update file will NOT be installed, before the download is complete.
Why should Nintendo add such a dangerous feature, that could brick their hardware?

Reactions: jamieyello

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
3DS won't actually get bricked. You'd just have to use the safe mode firmware to get it working again. I personally never used safe mode (as I was not aware of it at the time I had an update fail on me when attempting to update to 8.x firmware on a 4.5 3DS), but I bet all you can do in safe mode is perform a system update. :P
SAFE_MODE_FIRM is used for safe mode applications, such as the System Settings and System Updater.

Source

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm pretty sure, that the update file will NOT be installed, before the download is complete.

Well, you should not be "pretty sure", maybe just pretty... ahem...

Just search for partially updated 3DS, you'll find interesting information.

you can force shut down while it's downloading. It downloads, then installs updates, as does every other competent update-able thing. Once it starts installing is when it gets risky.

It doesn't work like that. Well, I don't know if the system blocks the ability to shut down the console while the update is installing (regarding the "press for 10 seconds to shut down" mode), but still I wouldn't try it.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't work like that. Well, I don't know if the system blocks the ability to shut down the console while the update is installing (regarding the "press for 10 seconds to shut down" mode), but still I wouldn't try it.

Any software update to any hardware these days does not install anything, UNTIL the update has been fully downloaded and rechecked by the console communicating with the server. WiFi is a risky tool, and what you are implying is that if you lose wifi mid-update, your 3DS will be bricked. Imagine how many bricked consoles there would be if what you are saying is true(Not just 3DSs).

Have you seen how your phone or computer update? they download the update, let you know the update has been downloaded, and prompt you to update at your earliest convenience.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

yeah turning off the wifi is probably the "safest" way to stop it, but you can just shut it down.....its pretty unlikely it would be writing anything critical at the time, the actual installing is like 1% of the install time with most of the time it just sitting there downloading it on its crappy slow wifi XD

but no matter what, unless you caught it literally the second it started i would imagine the damage is done, the only way you could really check would be testing ninjhax, but the first thing to update is the main OS, then it updates the system apps separately i.e eshop system settings etc

Any software update to any hardware these days does not install anything, UNTIL the update has been fully downloaded and rechecked by the console communicating with the server. WiFi is a risky tool, and what you are implying is that if you lose wifi mid-update, your 3DS will be bricked. Imagine how many bricked consoles there would be if what you are saying is true(Not just 3DSs).

Have you seen how your phone or computer update? they download the update, let you know the update has been downloaded, and prompt you to update at your earliest convenience.
nope the 3ds really does update in stages....it downloads the FIRM updates, installs them, OS, installs, then each app etc etc......so it doesnt start just randomly installing stuff, it just breaks it into sections for downloading and installing

Jysix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

How can i know that the 3DS have been partially updated ?
I stopped at like 20% of the download.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Can a mod update the 1st post with the following info?

- Are DS flashcarts blocked?
- Are 3DS flashcarts blocked?
- Safe to update Gateway emunand?

I can't read all these pages just to figure this out and there's no point asking for stuff that may have already been answered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The strip club you shoot up the hookers you pick up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You actually get to own that strip club, later in the game.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    After you shoot it up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still pissed I had to pay for that game again, (3rd time) just to get the next gen(4k) update. It should be free. Typical Rockstar move tho.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I live like walking distance to a strip club lol
    I should check it out some day
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you shouldnt, you may run into one of your long lost daughters you never knew you had.
    +3
    BigOnYa I had a modified version with texture mods and all kinds of goodies lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5g4kxs4UU&t=64s
    Me playing it like 4 years ago on a 2080 Ti lol
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn camera phones catching crimes