9.00 -> 9.20 update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by digitalkid56, Mar 16, 2015.

1. digitalkid56
    OP

digitalkid56 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    I have a question that probably does not warrant a thread for, but have nowhere else to ask..

Can I update a US 9.00 N3DSXL to 9.20 using a EU game? I know it's region locked, but is there any way to just use the update to get it a little more current?

2. sanni

sanni GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2003
    United States
    You can update using the 9.20 version of Super Smash Bros (US).
    Why would you wanna use an EU game? Also I don't think any 9.2 EU's are out there yet

digitalkid56 likes this.
  3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Why? Not to be nosey but if you want to upgrade only to 9.2 you clearly have a flashcard or CFW in mind, and I know of no substantial advantage of 9.2 over 9.0 other than "stability enhancements".

digitalkid56 likes this.
  4. digitalkid56
    OP

digitalkid56 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    that's kind of the answers I was looking for..

Did not know that Smash bros had the 9.2 update (i thought the 9.2's were only EU released), and I figured 9.2 would have some newer features? but I guess not.. I don't know the minor differences with the upgrade, I just went straight from 9.0->9.5 on my first device, second one I'm still on 9.0..

thanks for the info, it helped!

5. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Just be aware that only some of the Smash carts have 9.2,, the newer ones it appears.

All three of my N3DSs are on 9.0, see no reason to update them as sysnand is dead to me, everything is in emunand. Even if there was some "feature" why care, you have it in emunand.

digitalkid56 likes this.
  6. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    You CAN update *specifically* from 9.0 to 9.2 in sysNAND using the updated Smash ROM (for US consoles) or the Cooking Mama 5 ROM (for EU consoles) on Gateway... This is an exception because the only updated titles between those fws are the version number and Home Menu (FIRM was unchanged). Don't do it with any cartridge update which updates FIRM or you get a brick!
    To do it just hold UP pressed while booting gw mode (with no emuNAND on SD card), and as you select and try to boot the game it'll update.

digitalkid56 likes this.
  7. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    I wouldn't bother, stay on 9.0

8. bytor

bytor GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to update to 9.2. Just update your EmuNAND to the latest EmuNAND instead.

digitalkid56 likes this.