8th Gen "Consoles" Are Not Really Consoles

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The discussion here is that extra functionality somehow disqualifies certain devices from belonging to a given category just because it's there. I really don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to prove that extra functionality which aiding the entertainment factor of the devices is in any way bad.

I also don't understand why a device ideally outfitted to support multimedia wouldn't support multimedia. I'm looking at you, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. Hell, one of the very first modifications for the Gamecube and the Wii was DVD-Video support because customers generally don't want ten zillion quadrillion devices next to their TV - if they can have just one, it not only means less clutter, it also means savings more often than not.

The Xbox One and the PS4 have BluRay drives, so they support BluRay - this is a plus, not a flaw. There's no reason why they shouldn't. Same goes with media streaming - they're online devices so they do that, and customers like that. So much so that one of the main complaints against the PS4 is its lack of native MP3 and DLNA streaming, so Sony's working on implementing those features in an update as we speak. I'm afraid that you're alone in your struggle, Hydrazine.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the real question is : is right buy a eightcore hw, with super dupa VIDEOcard with lot of ram ecc ecc.. and i can't write my HELLO WORLD on it? that's the real question about that gens... that power CLOSED is very stupid...

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is this thread stupid or what?

First of, there is nothing in the definition that strictly limits console to video gaming. Having console doing more than gaming does not contradict the very definition of console.

In fact, PS2 can play DVD-Video and it is a major reason why PS2 overshadowed Dreamcast despite arrived at the market one year later. At that time PS2 was labeled as the "cheapest DVD player" and many people bought it to play PS1/PS2 games and watch DVD.

I also find it odd that you neglect to mention Wii and Wii U, since you can watch Hulu, Netflix, etc on them. Monthly subscription? You only pay them when you use it.

Share button on PS4 has everything to do with gaming. It allows you to record gameplay video and upload them.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
relevant

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
7th gen consoles aren't consoles either.
Last real consoles where the 6th gen ones then.

Time to move on gramps.
Kids these days want everything on their consoles.
Share their stupid shit on facebook, twitter, instagram, whatever they use.
Watch videos on it, watch telly on it, make a cup of coffee with it.

Hell, watches used to be for looking at the time.
Now they can share stupid shit with the internet.
Glasses where made for people with bad eye sight.
Now they can share stupid shit on facebook.
Phones where made for calling.
Now their pocket computers.

It's time to stop living in the 80's/90's
Welcome to the mid 10's

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
7th gen consoles aren't consoles either.
Last real consoles where the 6th gen ones then.

Time to move on gramps.
Kids these days want everything on their consoles.
Share their stupid shit on facebook, twitter, instagram, whatever they use.
Watch videos on it, watch telly on it, make a cup of coffee with it.

Hell, watches used to be for looking at the time.
Now they can share stupid shit with the internet.
Glasses where made for people with bad eye sight.
Now they can share stupid shit on facebook.
Phones where made for calling.
Now their pocket computers.

It's time to stop living in the 80's/90's
Welcome to the mid 10's
I would argue that the "switch" from "solely gaming" to "overall media device" occured much earlier than that. Even the Nintendo 64 had a Japan-only set of peripherals for RandNET connectivity (including art/photo sharing, "visiting" other player's game sessions etc.), the SNES had Stellaview with its multimedia capabilities, the Sega Genesis had SEGA Channel, the Saturn/Dreamcast had SegaNet/Dreamarena... And then there's the obvious DVD players in the XBox and PS2, the UMD player in the PSP, Game Boy cameras etc.. Long story short, consoles stopped being solely about gaming and started being entertainment hubs ages ago.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would argue that the "switch" from "solely gaming" to "overall media device" occured much earlier than that. Even the Nintendo 64 had a Japan-only set of peripherals for RandNET connectivity (including art/photo sharing, "visiting" other player's game sessions etc.), the SNES had Stellaview with its multimedia capabilities, the Sega Genesis had SEGA Channel, the Saturn/Dreamcast had SegaNet/Dreamarena... And then there's the obvious DVD players in the XBox and PS2, the UMD player in the PSP, Game Boy cameras etc.. Long story short, consoles stopped being solely about gaming and started being entertainment hubs ages ago.

Well, in those days, not everyone has a RandNET nor Dreamarena nor Satellaview peripherals.
In fact, I dun know anyone who had them.
The majority if not all of the people used their gaming consoles for gaming.
Even in the days of the Xbox and PS2 with their DVD players, the main focus of them was still gaming.

Indeed, they had multimedia capabilities but the primary focus was still gaming.
The 360 in it's early days was focusing on gaming, much like the Wii.
Until the Internet channel came for it and the 360 switched to NXE.

Personally, I kinda like having multimedia capabilities on me console, but what the Xbone has to offer... that's a bit to much.
The Metro dash on the 360 and Xbone is just filled with ads and basically spams you do death with multimedia.
Idk how it is with the PS4, but the Wii U looks pretty similar like the Wii.
I'd say that out of the 3 of the 8th gen, the Wii U is the least multimedia based console.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Personally, I kinda like having multimedia capabilities on me console, but what the Xbone has to offer... that's a bit to much.
The Metro dash on the 360 and Xbone is just filled with ads and basically spams you do death with multimedia.
Idk how it is with the PS4, but the Wii U looks pretty similar like the Wii.
I'd say that out of the 3 of the 8th gen, the Wii U is the least multimedia based console.
I always treated consoles as the low-cost alternative to full-blown PC's for all those who want to get the most out of the entertainment available with the least hardware-related expenses. As such, I want my consoles to pack as many features as humanly possible, and this includes multimedia. If I were to grade the 8th generation systems on the basis of what they do outside of gaming, I'd probably say that they're cutting it pretty close. They essentially offer the same kind of online/streaming functionality and when they lack in one area, they make it up in another. Take the Wii U for instance - it doesn't support BluRay/DVD, but it has its own social network (MiiVerse) which is actually surprisingly robust, not to mention TVii functionality. The PS4 has little to do with television, but it does have the SHARE button and it's becoming more and more streaming-oriented. The Xbox One on the other hand it TV-oriented and it's clear that it was designed that way, especially having the HDMI In in mind, which is an odd feature for a console to have. All three systems try to cater to the customer's needs, even those that go beyond gaming.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I always treated consoles as the low-cost alternative to full-blown PC's for all those who want to get the most out of the entertainment available with the least hardware-related expenses. As such, I want my consoles to pack as many features as humanly possible, and this includes multimedia. If I were to grade the 8th generation systems on the basis of what they do outside of gaming, I'd probably say that they're cutting it pretty close. They essentially offer the same kind of online/streaming functionality and when they lack in one area, they make it up in another. Take the Wii U for instance - it doesn't support BluRay/DVD, but it has its own social network (MiiVerse) which is actually surprisingly robust, not to mention TVii functionality. The PS4 has little to do with television, but it does have the SHARE button and it's becoming more and more streaming-oriented. The Xbox One on the other hand it TV-oriented and it's clear that it was designed that way, especially having the HDMI In in mind, which is an odd feature for a console to have. All three systems try to cater to the customer's needs, even those that go beyond gaming.

Interesting point of view.
Eh personally, I dun use 80% of the features on the 360, so I dun plan on using prolly 90% of the features of the Xbone ;p

I dun bother much with multimedia on consoles.
Occasional youtube vid or DVD/BD is what I appreciate.
but I got a lappy for serious multimedia.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a Swiss Army knife still a knife?
Technically yes, but a dedicated knife will serve your knife-wielding purposes far better. If I'm in the kitchen and I need to slice something, I'm not gonna turn to my swiss army knife, I'll go to a knife that's actually meant for slicing. If I'm going to a dangerous area, I'll be keeping my hand on my combat knife, not a swiss army knife. The swiss army knife is decent for convenience if you're not at home, but when in your own home, you should have better tools for everything the swiss army knife can do.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Technically yes, but a dedicated knife will serve your knife-wielding purposes far better. If I'm in the kitchen and I need to slice something, I'm not gonna turn to my swiss army knife, I'll go to a knife that's actually meant for slicing. If I'm going to a dangerous area, I'll be keeping my hand on my combat knife, not a swiss army knife. The swiss army knife is decent for convenience if you're not at home, but when in your own home, you should have better tools for everything the swiss army knife can do.
You're forgetting that knives come in a variety of shapes and have different purposes. There's simple knives with standard sharp blades for everyday cutting, there's dull butter knives and then there's knives with serrated blades specifically dedicated to cutting bread. Again, there's consoles and then there's consoles, there's knives and then there's knives. :P

Reactions: NEP

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Basically.

Reactions: grossaffe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    I think so yea
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    that explains, I already have over 500 messages in here, but I'm not making a thread every single day
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I will continue to ask what ever I feel like asking. lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    not the type of thing I would do
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, most of my exp comes from my reaction score and threads posted
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I mean, I've never seen a message on a thread with more than 30 reactions at max
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just be a mod, insta likes for xp
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    and based on the table reactions only give 1 xp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And insta fear from your enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sir please stop wanking during this meeting