Hacking 60hz in VC Games (PAL Wii)

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
By the way I tried Mario Kart 64 - NTSC (I just changed the video settings to NTSC) and I played it with no borders..
By the way it was too fast (lol). That's what happens when you ve never played the NTSC version of a game.

masud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
NES and SNES run what ever TV setting is set in the Channel (in detail, the 01.app).

I tried Super Street Fighter NTSC wad in my wii with the GAME=USA and VIDEO=NTSC and it still ran with black borders, i think snes titles depend on the AREA setting (of course you can patch them, but i am trying to get them to run them as they come...)

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
masud said:
RadioShadow said:
NES and SNES run what ever TV setting is set in the Channel (in detail, the 01.app).

I tried Super Street Fighter NTSC wad in my wii with the GAME=USA and VIDEO=NTSC and it still ran with black borders, i think snes titles depend on the AREA setting (of course you can patch them, but i am trying to get them to run them as they come...)

I have 3 SNES Wads on my Wii that run in PAL 60. If I try and play them, they won't boot since my Wii is set to run in NTSC mode. If I change the TV setting in the 01.app from PAL60 to NTSC, they will work fine. That's all I did to allow the PAL60 version of SMRPG to run on a US Wii.

Street Fighter 2: The New Challenger does have boarders. Yes in the NTSC version as the screenshots I took from snes9x show:

SuperStreetFighter2-TheNewChalle-1.png
SuperStreetFighter2-TheNewChallenge.png

In the PAL version, they would be bigger.

urobolus, are you talking about the black boarders that appear on the top and bottom screen. There meant to be there, yes in the NTSC version.

Just check out the following youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkH3vAma-g...feature=related

If the game is set to run in PAL 50Hz, nothing would appear on the screen (if the Wii is set to run TV mode in NTSC). I've just edited the Wave Racer 64 NTSC Wad TV setting to run in PAL and the game won't load.

So Wave Racer 64 NTSC does run in 60Hz if the PAL Wii TV setting is set to NTSC.

masud

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
Street Fighter 2: The New Challenger does have boarders. Yes in the NTSC version as the screenshots I took from snes9x show:

SuperStreetFighter2-TheNewChalle-1.png
SuperStreetFighter2-TheNewChallenge.png

In the PAL version, they would be bigger.

The game i tried was street fighter II turbo hyper fighting but yeah you are right, i played it in snes9x gx and it has borders too. I guess I chose a tricky game to test my changes
biggrin.gif
Anyway I will stick with my pal settings and my pal wads till I get an hd television, image quality is crap with the component cable and unless someone finds a way to trick a ntsc wii to output trough the rgb cable i will remain PAL.

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RadioShadow said:
The only problem with changing your Wii's TV setting from PAL to NTSC is all most of your PAL VC Downloads won't display anything (SNES and NES games) or run to fast (Mega Drive and Master System, the ones that have been PAL optimised). Turbo Graphix's games run fine however. N64 PAL Games might work but as they have been PAL optimised, they might run to fast.None of the NES, SNES or N64 games (that were not originally PAL-optimized on their respective systems) are PAL optimized for the Virtual Console. I tried two PAL version VC games: Street Fighter II Turbo and Super Mario 64, and it was as obvious as daylight that the games were running slow (I compared against my modified 60Hz-compatible SNES, and the Gamecube-version "Super Mario 64", which was injected into the Zelda Limited Edition emulator). On the other hand, SNES9x runs really well - the only problem being the "hotkey" they use to return to the system menu; it ruins play with Street Fighter games. There really is no reason to have that hotkey, as the menu button on the Wiimote is fully available!
QUOTEBut you can easily run any of the Japanese and American VC Games and you can easily change the Shop Channel Number using AnyRegion Changer to download Japan or US VC games and use the same pay method (in my case Master Card paying in £) or Wii Points to pay for them. Or just find the US/JP Wad to replace the PAL version.

Also, make sure you use StarFall to make all channels region free (it does require you to install a modified ISO Wad) otherwise the channels won't boot and a message will tell you this (note you must be on Wii System Update 3.E for it to work). If you don't want to install the ISO Wad or are using the latest Wii Update, you will ever have to download the US/JP Wad and region free it or dump the wad yourself and region free it.
RegionFrii only works on N64 games, does the starfall hack allow SNES, NES, MegaDrive, MaterSystem channels to play?

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
RadioShadow said:
As long as your Wii is set to NTSC, all the US and JPN (plus some PAL) Virtual Console and Wii Ware games will run in NTSC in 60Hz.
smile.gif
If your Wii is set to PAL, it seems some N64 Games will run in PAL 60 (Super Mario 64) while others are forced to run in PAL 50 (Star Fox 64). Changing it to NTSC will fix that problem.
smile.gif
This post in ancient, but did it actually work? On 4.2 you can't use AnyRegionChanger anymore, it will brick the fuck out of your console. I just want to play Mario Kart 64 (60Hz) on my PAL-console.

To summarize my question: Will a NTSC-U-System menu still allow me to play NTSC-Wads at 60 Hz or did this never worked?

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
If you use a component or a composite lead and not an RGB lead on your Pal Wii you can get NTSC VC to work perfectly in 480P 60HZ using this guide
stev418 said:
Hi all, I decide to share something that ive been fiddling with for a long time. Not sure about other guys with PAL setups but i for one am sick of getting 50hz virtual console games, personally my wiishop is set to USA and i use my custom-nand-loader-MOD to have ALL my VC running at 60hz (based on Waninkoko's Custom NAND Loader v1.0) This will work on ALL NTSC VC/WW to work on a PAL wii, and will also fix USA games that arent compatible on a PAL wii such as Tiki Towers

[ DESCRIPTION ]:

- This is an edit of waninkoks custom nand-loader replacement
Mainly ive made this edit to cater for all the PAL Wii owners
who have been stuck with using Virtual Console games that are
50hz only, come on its nearly 2010 ninty. Obviously your TV
must support an NTSC signal for this to be of use to you.

[ WHATS NEW ]:

- All config and GUI has been stripped - simple forceNTSC only
- Added 002 error fix (uses Proper 'NEW' 002 fix)
- Added SetTime fix for the 'date bug'
- Added Anti-green screen fix

[ DIRECTIONS ]:

- Grab wwpacker 1.84 and common-key.bin
- Purchase your favorite NTSC VC wad and dump into wwpacker folder
- Assertain with WadDataInfo.exe what IOS version loader you need
- Place your loader into wwpacker folder renamed to loader.bin
(if IOS is below IOS53 just use the forceNTSC.bin)
- Drag your *.wad onto _wwpacker-Loader.bat and press 'X' for all options
- Install your new *[Patched][Loader][RegionFree].wad onto your wii
- Enjoy full 60hz VC on your PAL wii

stev418

Download

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fiddlefaddle22 said:
If you use a component or a composite lead and not an RGB lead on your Pal Wii you can get NTSC VC to work perfectly in 480P 60HZ using this guide
Thanks, this seems to work great. But could you tell me if a US-Systemmenu would have done it aswell? Just to have all options in mind for the future. I use SNEEK to emulate my NAND and so i'm free to choose the region. PAL/NTSCU/... Whatever i want.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Liberty said:
fiddlefaddle22 said:
Thanks, this seems to work great. But could you tell me if a US-Systemmenu would have done it aswell? Just to have all options in mind for the future. I use SNEEK to emulate my NAND and so i'm free to choose the region. PAL/NTSCU/... Whatever i want.

you dont even need the US system menu, you can just set the console VIDEO MODE to NTSC using anyregionchanger and still keep your EU system menu, but then youl no doubt have some PAL games that will give issues

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
I have NTSC wads (SNES) that play in 60HZ on my Pal Wii...this is why I specifically got them in the first place! They look and play better than their PAL counterparts!

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
stev418 said:
you dont even need the US system menu, you can just set the console VIDEO MODE to NTSC using anyregionchanger and still keep your EU system menu, but then youl no doubt have some PAL games that will give issues
4.2 + Anyregionchanger = Brick. There are some solutions to prevent this, but i really don't wanna try out if this is true or not. Since i changed my shop channel region to US anyway, i will use your tool to patch these games. I did this with Mario Kart 64 yesterday and it worked great. And with cIOS21 i will use Triiforce_MRC too if something is not working the way it should. Triiforce should allow Videomodepatching.

urobolus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Guys I need a little help.
I'm at a friend's house and I soft modded his 4.2 PAL Wii and now I have access to HBC and stuff.
I want to be able to play NTSC VC games at 60 hz. With startpatch I enabled the "region free channels" option which is the first step.
The next step would be chaning the console's video mode to NTSC because now it is set to PAL so I get a black screen ever time I try to load a NTSC VC game.

I would use anyregionchanger but when I load it a message comes up about region mismatch etc although it doesn't make much sense because every option is set to Europe or PAL etc.
I can change the video mode to NTSC but I'm afraid that there's a slight chance that the console would get bricked and it's not my own Wii so I am not willing to risk it.

What can I do and what other choices do I have in order to make NTSC roms work at 60 hz? I hate PAL versions of VC games because of the borders and the 50hz mode so I hope that there's something I can do about it.

alexh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did anyone ever work out how to make Majora's Mask run at 60Hz on a PAL Wii without sound corruption?

The PAL version works well, perfect sound but has borders.

Any NTSC one I tried (or PAL ones modified for 60Hz) ran at 60Hz, no borders but all had sound corruption. Music effects used to represent an echo which sounds correct in the PAL 50Hz game comes out as annoying clicks when playing at 60Hz.

Anyone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work