Gaming 5 best PSP games in your opinion

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can tell if a game is good or not in a few minutes?
I'd rather complete said game first before deeming it as crap or not.
I usually try to give an RPG an hour to impress or show me what it's about at least. But I have a serious problem with people that apologize and defend Final Fantasy XIII for example by saying "it gets good after 20 hours in". I'm sorry, but that is WAY too long for any kind of game to get good. If it's not motivating me to continue after the first hour, or if that first hour is so terrible, I pretty much stop right there. Final Fantasy XII and all of Bethesda's RPGs as of late have horribly failed that test.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I usually try to give an RPG an hour to impress or show me what it's about at least. But I have a serious problem with people that apologize and defend Final Fantasy XIII for example by saying "it gets good after 20 hours in". I'm sorry, but that is WAY too long for any kind of game to get good. If it's not motivating me to continue after the first hour, or if that first hour is so terrible, I pretty much stop right there. Final Fantasy XII and all of Bethesda's RPGs as of late have horribly failed that test.

I also usually give games at least 1 hour before deciding on continuing to play it or not,
but I'd rather only give my opinion on it when I've finished playing it.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Kirihara

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
PSP in general was a weak (in terms of software) system. I mostly play with emulators on it, SNES, GBA and PS1 games... I can't say i really liked a specific PSP game, most look watered down PS2 games to me, and its exclusives are focused on graphical capability and the gameplay goes out the door...

In any case, the 5 games i have played mostly on PSP are in no particular order:

1. Crisis Core
2. Hot Shots Tennis
3. Pro evolution soccer
4. Tekken 6
5. Smash Court Tennis 3

Now i don't believe those games are really good. Crisis core is one of the worst games i have ever played, if i wasn't an oldtime FFVII fan i would never have finished it. Bad, really bad game. A high production value fan service, and nothing more. As a game, it is a perfect example of what to avoid when creating games...

Hot shots tennis was a good game, and perfect for a handheld. The only PSP game i can say that it hooked me. Nice graphics, cute sound and music, fantastic and simple gameplay, perfect on the go.

Pro evolution soccer is a great soccer sim for multiplayer purposes only.

Tekken 6 is good for short gaming bursts on the go, but nothing really special otherwise.

And Smash Court Tennis 3 is a more "realistic" tennis sim, difficult to master, but rewarding. Still, it has its flaws.

The rest of the PSP gaming library sucks in my opinion. I see games like Dissidia mentioned a lot, and i am wondering how is this possible. That game sucks, i have tried many times to like it, it just doesn't work. It is awful fanservice with pretty graphics, but graphics don't make a good game. Dissidia is repetitive, boring, many parts of the gameplay are broken, the story elements are nonsensical. I can't see how it can be considered one of the best games on PSP... Of course, given that PSP in general lacked good games, even Dissidia can shine with such poor competition...

It seems to me most are anime fans who are into jrpgs because of anime, and like PSP because it got jrpgs and ports of older jrpgs...

Let me be frank: JRPGS on the psp suck so much it is not even funny. There is a reason they don't sell, and it is not piracy...

To say games of a gerne are the best of the best, just because you like the art style, is wrong. There are jrpgs that i really like, like for example Final Fantasy IX or Suikoden II, but to say that all the crap that got released on the PSP were good, means you know nothing about good games...

There was not a single JRPG worth my time and money on the PSP. Not even one. Even Crisis Core, as i said earlier, was extremely bad, if not for its story i would have never played it. And its story was bad too, but i had to see it...

I have been playing RPGs since the early 90s, both Western and Japanese, and i know my stuff... If you believe those jrpgs on the psp were good, you need to get a PC and play some classics like Baldur's Gate II to learn what an rpg is... Or play Suikoden II...

Your taste in games is awful.You knock some awesome rpgs and other games then go on to say how good a tennis and soccer game....ok!

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Your taste in games is awful.You knock some awesome rpgs and other games then go on to say how good a tennis and soccer game....ok!

You know, the topic title is best psp games, not best jrpgs... There are other genres apart from jrpgs, just for your information...

Plus, most jrpgs are not really games. They are (usually stupid) visual novels with a monotonus "gaming" element that evolves pressing X or O all the time until the next sequence. Talking about fun...

I began my comment with "PSP was a weak system software-wise", because i don't believe it really had any good game at all. For most consoles, home or handheld, i can name at least 2-3 games that make the console worth a purchase. For PSP, there is no single title. Not even one.

So it is no wonder the games i found attractive the most were some sports games, at least those had decent gameplay and no moronic anime cutscenes...

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, the topic title is best psp games, not best jrpgs... There are other genres apart from jrpgs, just for your information...

Plus, most jrpgs are not really games. They are (usually stupid) visual novels with a monotonus "gaming" element that evolves pressing X or O all the time until the next sequence. Talking about fun...

I began my comment with "PSP was a weak system software-wise", because i don't believe it really had any good game at all. For most consoles, home or handheld, i can name at least 2-3 games that make the console worth a purchase. For PSP, there is no single title. Not even one.

So it is no wonder the games i found attractive the most were some sports games, at least those had decent gameplay and no moronic anime cutscenes...

Yeah, we get it. Anime is not for you. You think it's immature/boring/clichéd/whatever and that's fine. Now stop turning a PSP gaming thread into an anime/manga hate thread.

My top 5 list:

1. Persona 3 Portable
2. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
3. DJ Max Portable 3
4. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
5. Persona 2: Innocent Sin

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So you can tell if a game is good or not in a few minutes?
I'd rather complete said game first before deeming it as crap or not.
You see, when you have played almost every game in existence, you tend to realise quickly if a game is worth your time or not. You don't need to actually waste your life just to be sure...

Plus, i don't give a damn about a game's plot. I enjoy good stories, but if the gameplay sucks, then there is no reason for me to suffer in order to find out about how the story unfolds, there are plot summaries on the web, it is faster and a time saver... Especially if the story is just some anime bullsh1t no one above 15 years of age could find attractive...

Rating = Quality?
That's great to hear, I thought that people could enjoy games even if they weren't GOTY material.

Also, The 3rd Birthday, Final Fantasy T-0 and Gods Eater are niche? For anime fans?
We might as well say that Dante's Inferno is a game for 3 year olds.

This topic speaks about the best games on the PSP. Of course people can enjoy even awful games, but they wouldn't dare to put them on "best of" lists, would they? For example i enjoy Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes, but i don't visit forums yelling "best game evah", it is not. It is just my cup of tea...

Also, you put a big list of games, most of them niche. By cherry picking some you consider more mainstream, you can't invalidate my argument, you are just confirming it... But yeah, even Gods Eater is a niche title, it is just a poor man's Monster Hunter, it targets a specific niche that although likes this type of gameplay, prefers anime style of graphics and not "realistic" graphics. Thus, it is just a niche game...
What? Mana Khemia and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Impact are mediocre?
Try to play them for more than just a few minutes.

Yeah. They are indeed mediocre games, and i am really generous with them. Also, the critics agree with me, and the vast majority of PSP users agree with me. And common sense agrees with me too. They are mediocre games. You might like them, more power to you, although i can't for the life of me understand why... Time is limited, games are plentiful, not much time to enjoy all of them. Why waste your time with mediocre titles when you can play the best?

Yes of course, let's compare 3 numbered Final Fantasy games for a home console that sold 102 million units against a spin-off for a handheld that sold 80 million units.

May I remind you that FFVII and FFVIII were released on Steam recently and that FFXIII was a multiplatform?

I don't understand what your objection is. Based on your numbers, AAA squareenix titles should have 80% of PS1 sales. Especially considering that on the PS1, competition on the software side was immense, with plenty of AAA releases to fight for the gamers money... Dissidia only getting 1 million sales, being one of the few AAA exclusives on a 80+ million established base, is a disgrace, not something that could even hope to pass for a success...

So I'm an anime lover because I like a good story with my games?
Suuure.
And I'm positive that you couldn't just spam X (the basic attack) and walk around in FFVII-FFIX.
With 10 minutes of grinding I could kill every boss in those games because my characters got so overpowered.
Dissidia on the other hand rewarded players with skill and tactics.
Please, by all means, try to defeat Minerva by smashing the attack button. I'm sure that'll get you killed.

First, you don't like good stories, because most jrpgs have none. Unless you consider stupid anime as good stories. There is no originality or diversity also. Typically, most jrpgs feature the same plot, you are some kid or teenager, usually orphan, with amnesia, or some other handicap, and you go to save the world from a terrible menace, only a kid like yourself can combat, all adults, and all state armies are useless before you... Those types of plots are great if they make you feel like you are somebody special, but they suck otherwise...

Second, if you want a good story, try the Mass Effect series, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, or even Suikoden II (and I). Those are good stories.

Third, just because after many hours of grinding using the X button, you get to fight a boss that may require pressing the square button, doesn't make the game more interesting... I am against every type of game, that makes the gamer suffer and waste valuable hours of his/her life doing mindless grinding, only to face some interesting boss for 10 minutes...

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd sold 4.6 million copies and it's the PSP game that sold the most.
But oh well. Nostalgia over innovation I guess.

Fun fact: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was never released in the West. 4.6 million sales are all from japanese gamers who don't know any better. They are quite nationalistic about their game preferences, even though their games tend to suck the last 5-10 years on all platforms, they are still buying their homeland-produced games and not the vastly superior western ones...

In fact, most of jrpgs only sell well in japan, and present a false picture of success. They are niche titles, catering to japanese teenager's tastes, and NO ONE ELSES(apart from some jrpg fanbois who are a small minority in the West).

Just admit it, it is ok to like jrpgs if that make you feel good, but they are not good games. Most of the world hates them for a reason, they suck. Try some true rpgs and make a comparison...

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, we get it. Anime is not for you. You think it's immature/boring/clichéd/whatever and that's fine. Now stop turning a PSP gaming thread into an anime/manga hate thread.

Nope, you are wrong. I don't discuss anime/manga. I discuss the fact that all those jrpg fanbois can't understand that the games they so much love, are mediocre games at best, and although they cater to their specific niche, they are not "best of" material.

It is not anime per se that is the problem. I can enjoy a good anime, i used to watch anime when i was 10 years old... The problem is all those fanbois saying "ZOMG best game evah" just because it involves anime graphics and cutscenes... All the while ignoring that said games are boring, repetitive, mindless and totally uninteresting to most people... I have lost count of how many hours i have lost testing games that fanbois proposed to me as "best of all time", only to find out that the only thing they really liked was the "touchy ending" (see Crisis Core) or similar nonsense...

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, you are wrong. I don't discuss anime/manga. I discuss the fact that all those jrpg fanbois can't understand that the games they so much love, are mediocre games at best, and although they cater to their specific niche, they are not "best of" material.

It is not anime per se that is the problem. I can enjoy a good anime, i used to watch anime when i was 10 years old... The problem is all those fanbois saying "ZOMG best game evah" just because it involves anime graphics and cutscenes... All the while ignoring that said games are boring, repetitive, mindless and totally uninteresting to most people... I have lost count of how many hours i have lost testing games that fanbois proposed to me as "best of all time", only to find out that the only thing they really liked was the "touchy ending" (see Crisis Core) or similar nonsense...

I'm sorry, but this "I have a better understanding of games than thou" attitude isn't really helping your case. Liking something, wether if it is a game or another person (A girl/guy you think is attractive may not be attractice to anyone else or vice versa) is entirely subjective and accusing others of being mindless fanboys who can't understand why they like something is just wrong. Just because you don't think most games in a genre can't fall under the "best of" category doesn't automatically mean that your view is objective, nor is my view. You have your tastes while others have theirs, accept it and move on. Now Kirihara's: "Your taste in games is awful." is also a bad statement, so I am not defending him.

The people you are referring to are your typical weaboo 12-17 year olds who are stuck in a specific mindset. That doesn't mean everyone is stuck there. There has been and always will be biased people in our world. Yes, Crisis Core many questionable elements such as adding characters like Angeal and Genesis to the story. But I had a blast playing it because I really like Final Fantasy VII and I loved to delve deeper into Zack's story. Persona 3 Portable has quite a few tropes, but it does something new in that it questions philsophical aspects such as: "What's the meaning of life?" or "If life is finite, shouldn't we make the most of it?". You grew with the characters and befriended them. I felt bad leaving the cast of Persona 3 and Persona 4 since it felt like leaving real friends behind.

There are alot of generic JRPGs out there. It's more or less a dying breed, I can't deny that. But what does it matter what I think? I can only state my opinion and see if someone shares it, but I am never questioning the "logic" behind their love or hate for something. It's just a part of who they are.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You see, when you have played almost every game in existence, you tend to realise quickly if a game is worth your time or not. You don't need to actually waste your life just to be sure...

So you've played almost every single game in existence? Good for you, but I personally don't care about your backlog.

Plus, i don't give a damn about a game's plot. I enjoy good stories, but if the gameplay sucks, then there is no reason for me to suffer in order to find out about how the story unfolds, there are plot summaries on the web, it is faster and a time saver... Especially if the story is just some anime bullsh1t no one above 15 years of age could find attractive...

Look, I got it, you hate anime.
Anyways, let's look at games like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it's glitchy as f*** yet it's loved by many.

This topic speaks about the best games on the PSP. Of course people can enjoy even awful games, but they wouldn't dare to put them on "best of" lists, would they? For example i enjoy Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes, but i don't visit forums yelling "best game evah", it is not. It is just my cup of tea...

The topic isn't about the best PSP games. The topic is about the best PSP games in your opinion.
I can say that my favorite game is Criminal Girls if I feel like it.

Also, you put a big list of games, most of them niche. By cherry picking some you consider more mainstream, you can't invalidate my argument, you are just confirming it... But yeah, even Gods Eater is a niche title, it is just a poor man's Monster Hunter, it targets a specific niche that although likes this type of gameplay, prefers anime style of graphics and not "realistic" graphics. Thus, it is just a niche game...

I never picked niche games and wrote that they're mainstream.
I picked RPGs and made a list because you said that PSP games were shit.

Yeah. They are indeed mediocre games, and i am really generous with them. Also, the critics agree with me, and the vast majority of PSP users agree with me. And common sense agrees with me too. They are mediocre games. You might like them, more power to you, although i can't for the life of me understand why... Time is limited, games are plentiful, not much time to enjoy all of them. Why waste your time with mediocre titles when you can play the best?

The vast majority being who exactly?
I like games because I enjoy them and don't limit myself to playing "mainstream" games.

I don't understand what your objection is. Based on your numbers, AAA squareenix titles should have 80% of PS1 sales. Especially considering that on the PS1, competition on the software side was immense, with plenty of AAA releases to fight for the gamers money... Dissidia only getting 1 million sales, being one of the few AAA exclusives on a 80+ million established base, is a disgrace, not something that could even hope to pass for a success...

My objection is your comparison with main Final Fantasy games against a spin-off.
It's a dumb as comparing them to Chocobo's Dungeon.

First, you don't like good stories, because most jrpgs have none. Unless you consider stupid anime as good stories. There is no originality or diversity also. Typically, most jrpgs feature the same plot, you are some kid or teenager, usually orphan, with amnesia, or some other handicap, and you go to save the world from a terrible menace, only a kid like yourself can combat, all adults, and all state armies are useless before you... Those types of plots are great if they make you feel like you are somebody special, but they suck otherwise...

Second, if you want a good story, try the Mass Effect series, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, or even Suikoden II (and I). Those are good stories.

Third, just because after many hours of grinding using the X button, you get to fight a boss that may require pressing the square button, doesn't make the game more interesting... I am against every type of game, that makes the gamer suffer and waste valuable hours of his/her life doing mindless grinding, only to face some interesting boss for 10 minutes...

First. I do like good stories, in fact, I actually *manage to finish games* (just barely though) because I like good stories.

Second. I've never seen a JRPG causing a commotion like Mass Effect's 3 ending did (it's a bad thing FYI).

Third. Grinding? Did you seriously grind for an Action RPG like Crisis Core? What even man.

Fun fact: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was never released in the West. 4.6 million sales are all from japanese gamers who don't know any better.

Fun fact: people import games and English patches get made for a reason.
Because people are bored shitless play them.

They are quite nationalistic about their game preferences, even though their games tend to suck the last 5-10 years on all platforms, they are still buying their homeland-produced games and not the vastly superior western ones...

Like Call of Duty and Final Fantasy? /sarcasm

In fact, most of jrpgs only sell well in japan, and present a false picture of success. They are niche titles, catering to japanese teenager's tastes, and NO ONE ELSES(apart from some jrpg fanbois who are a small minority in the West).

Somewhere in a Japanese forum, a FPS fanboy is getting flammed for liking Call of Duty.
Now seriously though, I'd hardly consider those jrpg fanbois a small minority in the West.

Just admit it, it is ok to like jrpgs if that make you feel good, but they are not good games. Most of the world hates them for a reason, they suck. Try some true rpgs and make a comparison...

Because none of the games I mentioned are good games. And because nobody's opinion counts except yours ofc.
Most of the world being you and?

Very well, I have deliberated and reached a conclusion.
I like Persona better than Skyrim.
You may burn me at the stake now. Now excuse me, there's a Catherine playthrough I want to see.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is getting out of hand...
Whelp, no more replies from me in this thread.
I still ask myself why do I even care.

I think we should just all give our Top 5 PSP Games, without bashing on each others opinions.

That would be a good start.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I didn't bash on his opinions though. (By opinions I mean his Top 5 PSP Games)

Ok then moving on.

My top 5:

1- Monster Hunter Series
2- Final Fantasy Crisis Core
3- God of War Chains of Olympus
4- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
5- Power Stone Collection

FXK

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. Monster Hunter 3rd
2. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
4. Tactics Ogre Remake
5. DBZ Tenkaichi Tag Team

when the translation of "Sol Trigger" is done and i can finaly play it, i guess it will steal the slot of my fav coop fighting game :D

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To say games of a gerne are the best of the best, just because you like the art style, is wrong. There are jrpgs that i really like, like for example Final Fantasy IX or Suikoden II, but to say that all the crap that got released on the PSP were good, means you know nothing about good games...
FF9 has randomly triggered encounters.. and you say you know something about good games? son I am disappoint

I am against every type of game, that makes the gamer suffer and waste valuable hours of his/her life doing mindless grinding, only to face some interesting boss for 10 minutes...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn