4IFIR vs. Switch OC Suite real benchmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pox

Trophies
XP
Country
OC Suite is a more conservative and safe solution.
GPU won't go above 1267Mhz. Period.

4IFIR is more risky, with higher GPU frequencies, and higher voltage.
No pain no gain.

If you selected either and you are happy that's all that matters.
It's good we have a choice. :teach:

• Haha
Reactions: Lamcza and Lumince

olvita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
OC Suite is a more conservative and safe solution.
GPU won't go above 1267Mhz. Period.

4IFIR is more risky, with higher GPU frequencies, and higher voltage.
No pain no gain.

If you selected either and you are happy that's all that matters.
It's good we have a choice. :teach:
I agree.

But it may be important to understand a bit more about both OC Suite and 4ifir, what makes them so different.

Suite is, aside for the closed beta, open source software, and the code is readily available at any time. If you have questions, the community will try to answer for the best of their and your knowledge.

4ifir, on the other hand, is an old OS Suite's mod (which was stated by the author, in the original 4ifir thread somewhere around here). It's using other people's code, and it's closed source. When you want to know more about 4ifir actual work, the answer will almost always be "trust me, it's magic". The author claims that he shared his work (code?) with Meha, but there was never a proof of that. Much like there was never a proof of a malicious code that can harm a switch, only threats, however buffoonish they are. Sharing 4ifir links are prohibited on gbatemp, due to multiple GPL violations.

I guess that's the gist of it.

Lastly, let's not write off the info that's being surfaced as we speak: it looks latest 4ifir versions aren't working properly. It requires a deeper look and more research, and I hope we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

Last edited by olvita,

N074H3CK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ffs, next guy who comes out of nowhere to praise 4IFIR without providing any evidence, just "trust me bro, test is yourself". After seeing many people claiming bricking their Switches while using 4IFIR (Recent post about Hogwarts Legacy on reddit made some noise, funny that he believed issue is with game, not his 4IFIR setup), not everybody wants to risk doing the same. And yes, I know that you can brick the device with OC Suite too if you are careless enough, which for some reason is a more common tendency in 4IFIR userbase.

And if you plan to do next shitty comparison like most people here, just don't.
Yes, trust me, bro. Test it yourself. That's exactly any cool OC software begins. Even when you set up pre-configurated OC profiles for OC videocards of overclocked memory for PC, they told you so. Moreover, they always warn you about your risc.

I can proof working 4IFIR using discord. Than i am a real guy with a real switch for instance. Proofing long time good experience with 4IFIR is harder, anyone can say "you insalled it yesterday". But i don't think there is someone who needs this proofs. I mean, thoose who wanna try - will try anyway, cooler3D gave screenshots upper - good reason to try. All the other kids, who already choose "the side" don't really wanna proofs actually. They wanna make a loud messages "what about", "proof" and so on. Change my mind.
Post automatically merged:

And curiously he is a new user, surely cooler sent him, as he did with many others in the past
Sounds like a cancelling. So, that's true that i'm registred here to post in this topic. But i'm not a bot or something "sent by him". I have my own opinion and open to discussion, so please don't canel everything i sad like that, everyone of us was registred here for some reason, right? :)

Last edited by N074H3CK3R,

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If you still want to use 4ifir after all this shady stuff, make sure you don't set your GPU above 1305MHz.
Higher frequencies can kill your pmic.

N074H3CK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ive gotten reports of two bricked Switches of 4ifir. One is semi brick and another is a full brick. Both apparently chose the maximum setting
Is that 4IFIR? There are some modifications around the internet, well -known as "Ultra 4IFIR". I've tried that too, but it was unstable and scared me. So, when i ask to try 4IFIR, please avoid any "Ultra" modifications...

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is that 4IFIR? There are some modifications around the internet, well -known as "Ultra 4IFIR". I've tried that too, but it was unstable and scared me. So, when i ask to try 4IFIR, please avoid any "Ultra" modifications...
4ifir been both times. Ultra 4ifir is apparently just a collection package without changes, so even if it was ultra 4ifir, the points still stands.

N074H3CK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
4ifir been both times. Ultra 4ifir is apparently just a collection package without changes, so even if it was ultra 4ifir, the points still stands.
As far as i know, ultra opens more agressive overclock. There are no such unsave options in casual 4ifir, unless one mod it manually. All versions of 4ifir that i tested was stable at maximum availiable values. Ultra was not(

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As far as i know, ultra opens more agressive overclock. There are no such unsave options in casual 4ifir, unless one mod it manually. All versions of 4ifir that i tested was stable at maximum availiable values. Ultra was not(
They are in 1.8 and 1.9 apparently. I can't speaker more about it since I myself haven't checked the options. Especially not on my phone since Im at work

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
1375 mV vdd2 RAM is unsafe.
GPU above 1305 MHz is also unsafe.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 29
  • d2.png
    d2.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 38

olvita

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ultra 4ifir used to operate with frequencies and voltages from 4ifir. To the letter.

I don't follow it closely, but the Ultra has stopped supporting 4ifir for over a week now. Though don't take my word for it.

N074H3CK3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Where this specification from? I can also make random screen from random specification. As far as it is not critical voltage, it must be safe. Not stable, but safe. You return defaults and it will work as usual. Anyway, i'm not strong enough in this topic and will lean on @Cooler3D answerting that.

But what i know is that we have some lucky and unlucky chips on same Nintendo Switch revisions. There is a same diffecence as between premium and cheap videocards. It can be same chip, but one with unlucky locked cores and unstable on some frequency and other good one. (refering to AMD AM3 platform)

The main idea of overclocking is to determine what your chip can do (cause there is often underrated values to be sure that it will be ok for all customers) and latest 4ifir provide assist to do it. Safe voltage and frequencies for nintendo swith already set by nintendo, so why do we not follow nintendo specification and overclock our switch? Becouse you want more, and if you do so - you have to test it and yes, sometimes though blue screens. There is not something special, not brick. You can see overclocker do almost the same with PC's and have the same troubles. Anyway for now i don't have any troubles for half a year with default (not tuned) 4ifir (even withoud blue-screens!) and this is kinda magick for me, so much power from nothing.

Afterwards i must say that there is a Safety Advice on oc-suite page, with in general also applyable to other overclock solutions. Of course keep it in mind and remember about riscs.

1700146279593.png

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The screenshot is from the k4U6E3S4AA-MGCL datasheet, one of the LPDDR4X RAMs built into many Mariko switches.
And it's not like overclocking a PC with blue screens. 4ifir makes it possible to significantly exceed the pmic hardware limit which causes damage.

But go ahead, it's your switch.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest i would rather believe the people who reverse engineered the hardware for years with this one. If they say voltage X and clock Y together are the limit then it likely is. If you go over the limit of total power the PMIC chip can deliver you risk damage. But as always with overclocking. Going above the clocks and power limits the hardware was designed for is always a risk.

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone tell me how to completely uninstall 4IFIR? I want to switch over to OC Suite and can´t find a "clean" uninstall option. I used AIO to install 4IFIR.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can someone tell me how to completely uninstall 4IFIR? I want to switch over to OC Suite and can´t find a "clean" uninstall option. I used AIO to install 4IFIR.
I don't use 4IFIR, but if it's not different from OC-Suite, just remove "loader.kip" from atmosphere/kips and you will have stock hardware values. To remove sysmodule, delete folder "00FF0000636C6BFF" from atmosphere/contents

Reactions: jnl1

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's basically more or less to delete everything except your Nintendo folder and start over from scratch.

EDIT: Clarification, the AIO package includes a modifications to Hekate and Atmosphere.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: jnl1 and Lumince

Pox

Trophies
XP
Country
If you still want to use 4ifir after all this shady stuff, make sure you don't set your GPU above 1305MHz.
Higher frequencies can kill your pmic.
If I could I would push it over 1.5Ghz not "lousy" 1497Mhz which seems to be the limit for my GPU.

Speed and safety are not going together. We talk about OC, not regular clocks, right?

whoisrulled

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
hello! in the first attached picture is my message from the 4IFIR user chat. maybe someone will be interested in my history of using 4IFIR. I found out about 4IFIR more than a year ago, it seems that version 1.1 was then. after trying it, I was surprised that it was possible to overclock Switch at all, so it's also so easy. since then I have started following the project. in general, I have never experienced problems with this product, the only thing that could infuriate is the increased battery consumption at maximum overclocking (the charge goes away in a couple of minutes and one percent remains, which lasts for several hours), this was solved by the desync tool, but I never tried. in general, I always updated my 4IFIR to the latest versions and used overclocking at optimal frequencies to play 60 fps in persona 5 and other not the most demanding projects. sometimes I was surprised that it turns out to get 60 fps (not the most stable) in TotK, but again, the problem with batteries was very annoying. perhaps because of my ignorance, I could not make these 60 frames stable, who knows. and so my few years passed with 4IFIR, until yesterday came. as always, I updated 4IFIR to version 1.9 (it seems to be in beta) and decided to go in Zelda and try maximum overclocking and it turned out what you see in the screenshot above. if put everything together, then I don't have any special requirements for 4IFIR, it's a pretty user-friendly product that helps to get acceptable performance at optimal settings. for the sake of the purity of the experiment, I will try other overclocking products (from hanai3Bi) and it will be possible to form an accurate opinion there. thank you for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday