Hacking 4 TB Seagate / DIOS MIOS issues

nerubii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i've tested it myself with a 4tb seagate backup plus portable, gpt ntfs single partition without hidden or reserved partition, certain games loaded up fine on usb loader gx, certain games no.

anyone know of a 4k sector solution for 2.5" hdd? only freeagent goflex interface supports 512b to 4k sectors translation?

nerubii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i've tested it myself with a 4tb seagate backup plus portable, gpt ntfs single partition without hidden or reserved partition, certain games loaded up fine on usb loader gx, certain games no.

anyone know of a 4k sector solution for 2.5" hdd? only freeagent goflex interface supports 512b to 4k sectors translation?

yup, it works! i had an unused seagate wireless plus lying around and i thought the adapter that comes with it may be the same as freeagent goflex. so i dismantled my backup plus, plug in the adapter, and now i could format it as mbr fat32 4tb single partition with 64kb cluster size!

one thing to note though, the adapter has a very long sata connector. am considering of desoldering it and replacing it with the one that came with backup plus.

i'll be using another hdd for gamecube games since 4tb isn't enough for my wii..

thanks everyone.

Last edited by nerubii,

Curtman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish there was a way to make wiiflow load games from FTP, and just use the HDD as a cache. 2TB isn't enough to hold all games anymore.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish there was a way to make wiiflow load games from FTP, and just use the HDD as a cache. 2TB isn't enough to hold all games anymore.

2tb is plenty unless you literally want ALL GAMES.

If you want every single Good game its more than enough

there were 1.7k wii games Made lets Assume only 300 were Top Tier and Decent Gamplay and that they were all 4gb in size (even though most are like 2gb)

Thats 1.2TB of data and we all know there probably about only 200 good games for wii and most are nowhere near 4gb in size and very few are over that size.

Then look at gamecube games there are 662 gamecube games made if you put all of them at 1/1 size 1.4gb on a drive its about 1TB.

Essentially you are just wasting the space on titles that are honestly really bad if you need more than that

Curtman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2tb is plenty unless you literally want ALL GAMES.

If you want every single Good game its more than enough

there were 1.7k wii games Made lets Assume only 300 were Top Tier and Decent Gamplay and that they were all 4gb in size (even though most are like 2gb)

Thats 1.2TB of data and we all know there probably about only 200 good games for wii and most are nowhere near 4gb in size and very few are over that size.

Then look at gamecube games there are 662 gamecube games made if you put all of them at 1/1 size 1.4gb on a drive its about 1TB.

Essentially you are just wasting the space on titles that are honestly really bad if you need more than that

I don't really play any of them, I have no idea what is good what isn't. The last game I spent any appreciable time playing was Secret of Mana on SNES. We've got 4 kids ranging from 2 to 14 years old. I loaded a whole bunch of wii games on, a whole bunch of GC games, started working on emulators, etc then ran out of space trying to get MAME running.

The other problem is my Wii seems to eat hard drives. I suspect its because the hard drive never spins down while connected to the cheapo USB to SATA connector I have. I bought two other ones which do allow the drive to spin down, but they seem to put the drive to sleep at strange times like while the games are loading. I can't rely on the kids unplugging the drive when they are done.

It seems to me that caching the roms on a solid state drive and loading them from FTP on-demand would be an ideal solution for me and for lots of other people. I've thought about trying to hack wiiflow to do that, but havent found the time to learn the code or even get it to compile yet.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well downside of that is the max speed you can pull from the wii's wireless is 700kb/s and thats the pure maximum.

If you are having problems with hard drives spinning down your best bet is maybe to swap from powered drives to a portable 2tb because then at least it will spin down when the wii is in standby mode while powered is dependent

Curtman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well downside of that is the max speed you can pull from the wii's wireless is 700kb/s and thats the pure maximum.

If you are having problems with hard drives spinning down your best bet is maybe to swap from powered drives to a portable 2tb because then at least it will spin down when the wii is in standby mode while powered is dependent

I use a USB 10baseT adapter, I'm not sure what its max is but it's definitely faster than wifi. It cost $11 on ebay. I can actually use WiiMC and Netflix with that, and it seems the USB v1 is the bottleneck which is the same bottleneck with the USB HDD. I expect some delay while the rom transfers, especially for bigger ones. We have two Wii's, I bought a second used one when it suddenly became more popular than the PS4 and Xbox after I hacked and rescued it from the closet where it sat for years. The newer one is still sitting there doing nothing because I haven't found a proper setup that works well on the first one yet. I know that most of those portable 2tb drives when you take them apart are just a USB to SATA adapter and an enclosure. All of the adapters I have are just USB to SATA and require a power source for the drive itself. Could you recommend a brand and model that is currently available and known to work well? I have no problem going that route if it works. My last attempt was this thing:

ORICO 6518SUS3-BK 2.5" / 3.5" Serial Mobile HDD Docking Station w/ USB 3.0 + eSATA Port

Figuring it would be the best of both worlds, so I could keep Wii roms on one drive, and GB, Emu's, etc on another. And we'd be able to swap the drives between the two wii's. But most things dont work, the drive spins down as they load most of the time. Retrying the same rom multiple times works eventually but it's a terrible frustrating experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma. +1