3rd-party controllers don't work right with Micecraft Wii U. Whose fault is it?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DiscostewSM, Dec 21, 2015.

?

Whose fault is it?

1. Game devs

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 3rd-party manufacturers

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. Platform makers (Nintendo, Sony, etc)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Been having a debate with another (whom I'm willing to bet is nothing but a troll due to his history on...ugh....GameFAQs) about this subject. He believes the fault lies in the game developers (because his belief is based on those controllers working with other games, therefore, the devs should program those in for them to work), while I think the fault lies in the 3rd-party manufacturers (because I believe the controllers are meant to mimic official ones, and that game devs must work with official APIs so they don't have control over what works and what doesn't outside of that).

What do you all think?

2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    It would be the third party ones for not emulating the original controller correctly.

Tomato Hentai and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    If the controllers work perfectly with every other game then it's on the developers who ported Minecraft to the Wii U.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  4. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    But aren't the devs using official APIs for controller-to-system interaction? If the DS and 3DS are any indication, devs do not have direct access to the hardware, but must use Nintendo's APIs, and those only support official controllers. That's what I'm trying to get at. Unofficial controllers are meant to mimic official ones, not be a separate kind that requires differing APIs for a closed platform. They can do a real good job at acting like an official one, but a single cut corner can cause it to crop up problems, whether sooner or later.

Tomato Hentai and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    From the perspective as a customer that's what it seems to be the issue to me but it could be that the game is having difficulty with the controllers or vice-versa. Makes you wonder why it would work flawlessly with all the rest and then with Minecraft it's picky.

6. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Maybe it's based on an updated API that doesn't work with third party controllers.

7. pas7680

pas7680 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2007
    if original controllers work fine then it's clearly the 3rd party knockoff's that are to blame.