Hacking 3DS won't accept new, larger SD Card. Black Screen, Blue light

potatoshaker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Been wanting a 3DS, and now that I can afford it, I bought a 2nd hand 3DS with Luma 10.2.1 and Godmode9 installed. It came with a 4gb SDHC, which is definitely not enough if I want to install many games. I have a spare, original (tested with h2wtest), formatted-to-FAT32, 16 gb SDHC, so I transferred the contents of the old sd card to it, put it in the 3DS, but it wont boot, just the blue light shining splendidly.
So impulsively, I bought a new 32 gb microSD thinking my SDHC is just shit, but lo and behold, it yielded same results as with the new SDHC. Wasted money.
I tried with my sister's sd card but also the same.
Now I am using the old 4gb SD that came with it, cant even install pokemon X.

I think my 3DS doesn't accept new sd cards. I also know next to nothing about 3DS hacking, I just know that luma and godmode is installed.
I've scoured this forum for possible solutions, to no avail. I've read upgrading sd card is as easy as copy-pasting the contents from the old, smaller card, but doesn't work.

My fellowmen, please help me, I will provide any info you need. I am desperate as I don't want to buy game cartridges for I am poor. Your boy just want to play pokemon.

dragonchomper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, before you do anything else, did you try blowing into the sd card slot? That's actually a valid fix and worked for quite a few people I have known. Don't write off this solution, as sometimes you *need* to blow into it for it to start working, shaking the 3DS or normal usage may not help.

If that doesn't work, make sure your SD card is not named "3ds" (without the quotes), because that name can cause issues.

If that doesn't work, try turning on the console and leaving it on for 10 minutes to see if it loads the home screen, because there is an issue where CFW 3DS's can get a black screen and blue LED during boot, but the issue is usually fixed and will not happen again after it finally loads the home screen.

If that doesn't work, try checking if you have boot.firm on the root of your SD card.

If you do, try replacing boot.firm with the latest version if that's not what you have, and try replacing it with a slightly older version if you have the latest version already installed.

If that doesn't work, your SD slot may be bad.

dragonchomper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, before you do anything else, did you try blowing into the sd card slot? That's actually a valid fix and worked for quite a few people I have known. Don't write off this solution, as sometimes you *need* to blow into it for it to start working, shaking the 3DS or normal usage may not help.

If that doesn't work, make sure your SD card is not named "3ds" (without the quotes), because that name can cause issues.

If that doesn't work, try turning on the console and leaving it on for 10 minutes to see if it loads the home screen, because there is an issue where CFW 3DS's can get a black screen and blue LED during boot, but the issue is usually fixed and will not happen again after it finally loads the home screen.

If that doesn't work, try checking if you have boot.firm on the root of your SD card.

If you do, try replacing boot.firm with the latest version if that's not what you have, and try replacing it with a slightly older version if you have the latest version already installed.

If that doesn't work, your SD slot may be bad, you may have a brick, or there might be something else happening and I'd recommend joining the r/3dshacks discord server.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Blowing into electronics is not a valid fix. It might (or might not) temporarily(!) mitigate contact issues but it will cause further damage in the long run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(