3DS will not turn on after updating luma?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kevinshorts, Jun 21, 2017.

1. kevinshorts
    OP

kevinshorts Newbie

Newcomer
    May 6, 2017
    Canada
    Richmond Hill
    I recently updated to boot9strap from a9lh, and everything was working fine... until I chose to update luma through the lumaupdater app. Although it said "update successful", when I tried rebooting my 3DS, it would not turn on. As of now, when I press the power button, it turns on for about 1 second and immediately turns off (black screen, no speaker popping). I've tried to boot into safe mode, removing the SD card, taking out the battery, etc. but nothing works. What should I do? (I'm a noob so try to be simple with your answers pls)

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    How recently did you update from a9lh to b9s?

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Jun 21, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  3. jupitteer

jupitteer byErman™

Feb 17, 2017
    Antarctica
    Subcon
    Delete boot.firm from your sd card and remove the .bak from boot.firm.bak.

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. reminon

reminon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Yeah. If you are on b9s 1.2, delete the current install, download, and install a fresh copy of Luma 8.

Last edited by reminon, Jun 21, 2017
  5. kevinshorts
    OP

kevinshorts Newbie

Newcomer
    May 6, 2017
    Canada
    Richmond Hill
    Around 2 weeks ago?

6. -G-

-G- Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2017
    United States
    Evading the Nintendo Ninjas
    Last edited by -G-, Jun 21, 2017
  7. kevinshorts
    OP

kevinshorts Newbie

Newcomer
    May 6, 2017
    Canada
    Richmond Hill
    I was able to get my 3DS working again! Can't thank you guys enough!

8. MZ-4

MZ-4 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Can you explain more detailed what you did to "unbrick"?
    A friend's New3DS shows the same symptoms after updating B9S.
    Yet I do not know exactly, what she did. But the device shows blue LED for a second then switches off again.
    ...like under A9LH when arm9loaderhax.bin was missing or the SD was not inserted (early A9LH, when there was no copy of arm9loaderhax.bin in CTRNAND).

9. reminon

reminon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    What version of b9s and Luma does she have? It's not really a brick per se, it's just looking for necessary files. Luma 8 requires b9s 1.2.

MZ-4 likes this.
  10. keyra

keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

Dec 23, 2008
    France
    is it me or we have like 30 messages like this everyday. did the search button disappear?

11. MZ-4

MZ-4 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    She worked the "A9LH to B9S" and after deleting arm9loaderhax.bin from CTRNAND and SD and rebooting, the problem came up.
    My first thought was that the console is still under A9LH but copying a new arm9loaderhax.bin to SD didn't work.
    Of course it's no real brick, but it behaves as such.:)

I will receive the console in a couple of days so I can have a look myself and will probably install a hardmod in the process (recent FW backups are available).
    As I understand, it might simply be a non compatible combination of versions of boot.firm and Luma.
    I thought of such a problem but it's hard to explain it to a not-so-techy person.
    And it's a pity, Luma cannot print a text message giving the slightest hint of what is wrong...

12. reminon

reminon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    I'm 99% sure that a hardmod will not be necessary. It really sounds like a mix/match of versions. Everything is relatively safe these days, compared to the days of old. I wish you luck on the repair.

MZ-4 likes this.
  13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Try putting boot.firm from Luma 7.1 or 8.0 on the SD card. One of these should get it to boot up.

MZ-4 likes this.
  14. MZ-4

MZ-4 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It was a mixture of Luma being on 7.1 and the boot.firm 8.0.
    I put the 7.1-boot.firm on SD-root and the console came up!:) Thanks Quantumcat for the hint!
    Updated now to 8.0 with Rosalina allowing HB from unsuspicious Apps and all is fine now.

I think, Luma 8.0 already shows an error message on incompatible boot.firm ("Unsupported launcher (argc = 0)") but the 7.1 does not, right?

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think that error occurs if u update b9s before updating luma. only use luma 8.0 if u've updated.