Hacking 3DS unbricking progress

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if you already have a A or have access to a model A, just use that, but if your looking to buy, the model B is a lot more useful to have around once your not using it to unbrick XD

so unless your getting the model A very cheap/free , you may as well get a B :D

TheBorg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you already have a A or have access to a model A, just use that, but if your looking to buy, the model B is a lot more useful to have around once your not using it to unbrick XD

so unless your getting the model A very cheap/free , you may as well get a B :D

Thanks all... i'm going for the model B..

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It just happened to me: My 3DS XL got bricked using 2.0b2! Luckily my XL is hardware-modded (already dumped and flashed NAND successfully). So I borrowed an RPi to unbrick it. So I set everything up according to the included guide. But this is what I get:

Any idea?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It just happened to me: My 3DS XL got bricked using 2.0b2! Luckily my XL is hardware-modded (already dumped and flashed NAND successfully). So I borrowed an RPi to unbrick it. So I set everything up according to the included guide. But this is what I get:

Any idea?
Sorry to hear you git bricked, have you tried inserting the SD adapter a few times also try rebooting the 3ds while it's plugged in

Also I will assume you didn't run diagnostics or anything?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Any idea?

• try a stabilized/filtered power source for the Pi (like powering it from a Computer USB port).
  • try restarting your 3DS after having done a first s/u in the tool (while keeping the SD mod stuff hooked up).
  • try it with the 3DS charger de- and attached (each time wall outlet as well as 3DS).
If those all fail you might have to try to shorten your cables some more (as USB2SD readers are sometimes able to lower their communication clock speed even lower than the Pi they are sometimes more lenient in regards to signal quality).

And out of interest: did you provoke the brick on purpose or did it just happen?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your replys! I have to say I provoked the brick. I thought that I having a hardware mod and being able to borrow a Pi should be a guarantee for unbricking.

Anyway, I once got the message that the MMC is locked, but emmidiatly lost connection so I could'nt unbrick it. So it seems to be a connection issue of my SD adapter, but not sure...

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you for your replys! I have to say I provoked the brick. I thought that I having a hardware mod and being able to borrow a Pi should be a guarantee for unbricking.

Anyway, I once got the message that the MMC is locked, but emmidiatly lost connection so I could'nt unbrick it. So it seems to be a connection issue of my SD adapter, but not sure...

Yeah, sounds like interference then.

As stupid/crazy as it might sound: you might also (besides the points I already mentioned) try to turn of every electrical device in your room/flat you don't need for the unbrick or try it in a different room/location altogether. Heck, even building kind of a shielding structure out of tin foil (of course taking painstakingly care not to short anything out with it) might give you the wee edge you need to get it going.

Edit: just in case i want to stress the "with and without 3DS charger" one again, for somne that had a huge influence.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried all your suggestions, with and without charger, didn't help. Now I get this message, which I think means nothing is detected at all:

What is the order to plug the cables in? Boot 3DS with or without SD-adapter plugged into RPi?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried all your suggestions, with and without charger, didn't help. Now I get this message, which I think means nothing is detected at all:

What is the order to plug the cables in? Boot 3DS with or without SD-adapter plugged into RPi?

Yeah, that result is the worst you can get, not detecting anything at all... You really might want to consider trying to carry your stuff (including the monitor) to the cellar or attic -.- ...

When to switch the 3DS on shouldn't matter on a brick, but I prefer to advice to switch the 3DS on after plugging it in the Pi (as this is the correct procedure to get an unbricked 3DS into bluescreen mode in order to dump/flash).

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SpaceJump, was it you who was saying you had slow transfer speeds? Is your USB cable quite long, try shortening it if it is
Yes, that was me. I just measured my USB cable, it's 65 cm. Could the length be the problem? What is a good length?

As I told before, I was able to dump and write the NAND with the same cable.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes, that was me. I just measured my USB cable, it's 65 cm. Could the length be the problem? What is a good length?

As I told before, I was able to dump and write the NAND with the same cable.

The shorter the better.

And 65 cm is well beyond everything I've seen yet in regards of 3DS NAND stuff, most mods I've seen use about 10-20 cm. This will most likely be also the reason for the abysmal speed you are getting (as already mentioned, some SD readers are able to slow down the clock speed well bellow the level the Pi is able to).

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The shorter the better.

And 65 cm is well beyond everything I've seen yet in regards of 3DS NAND stuff, most mods I've seen use about 10-20 cm. This will most likely be also the reason for the abysmal speed you are getting (as already mentioned, some SD readers are able to slow down the clock speed well bellow the level the Pi is able to).
I see. Can I cut the cable and wire the wires together to test this and let them solder together by someone later?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, I cut and joined the wires but still no luck. Mostly the Pi didn't find anything. But then I got this when trying to unbrick:

Some tries later this:

I was surprised to see "MMC is not locked" amongst the error messages. But now when I boot the 3DS without anything plugged in, both screens stay just black. Nothing else. When I boot it up with the USB cable plugged in I get a very strange boot errorcode I never saw before. When I boot with the USB cable plugged in the 3DS AND the SD reader in my PC I get the 400 errorcode.
With both methods my PC doesn't recognize the NAND :(
What happened? Any idea?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ok, I cut and joined the wires but still no luck. Mostly the Pi didn't find anything. But then I got this when trying to unbrick:

Some tries later this:

I was surprised to see "MMC is not locked" amongst the error messages. But now when I boot the 3DS without anything plugged in, both screens stay just black. Nothing else. When I boot it up with the USB cable plugged in I get a very strange boot errorcode I never saw before. When I boot with the USB cable plugged in the 3DS AND the SD reader in my PC I get the 400 errorcode.
With both methods my PC doesn't recognize the NAND :(
What happened? Any idea?
run query again and get your csd value

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I already have that. It's in one of the screenshots. What now?

the CSD value would be interesting, as most likely you have removed the password lock but not the write protection.

but as i strongly believe that to be the case: i've just pushed a not that well tested hidden option ('r' for remove writeprotection) to github.

so just do the update again and spam r till it runs through.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto