ROM Hack 3DS ROM Tool: rom_tool

Plainscript

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can anyone assist me with this guys?

Using a mac, steps so far:

Copied rom_tool into my directory with the roms in.
terminal - cd into the directory so it shows on the command line
try to run the room_tool code (i.e. rom_tool -t Pokemon X.3ds) comes back with: -bash: rom_tool: command not found

Tried a number of different approaches, no luck with them. Anyone got an "idiots guide" for me or something?

When in the right dir, try this:

./rom_tool -t Pokemon X.3ds

(Note the dot and the slash. :) )

Plainscript

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Would be nice if it was. But unfortunately it's not. It's mostly compatible, but not all of it. :(

You could try compiling it yourself if you really want it. Chance it will work is pretty reasonable. :)

leeksausage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Darn it. Well, I've figured a work around. Installed an NTFS writing program onto my mac so i can copy all the rome over to my windows partition and just run it in windows 7 and copy to the FAT32 formatted MicroSD from there. Don't know the first think about coding so compiling it myself was out of the question. Thanks for the help!!

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a question about the trimming. Well, as you may know, Gateway Omega allows compatibility with CARD2 games and it emulates the same method of saving, so the save file is stored within the ROM.

I had this idea, that maybe I could trim the rom after the save file had been created, but after trimming and then untrimming the rom with a save file created, the save file disappeared. It actually didn't work after I trimmed it, that's why I untrimmed it later but for some reason, instead of just deleting the empty data, the trimming function also deleted the save file created with Gateway. Do you know why this happened? and would you be able to fix it or will it be better to leave them untrimmed?

Ris312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kyogre123: you need to keep the CARD2 games untrimmed as the save is stored at the very end of the rom.
Romtool finds where the rom data ends and cuts it to that size, so it will cut off anything after the rom data.

CARD1 games are like this:
<Rom Data>|<Padding>

CARD2 games are like this:
<Rom Data>|<Padding>|<Save Data>

You can trim CARD1 games as the save data is stored in a seperate EEPROM chip so the padding doesn't matter.

You can't trim CARD2 games as the save data is written into the rom file itself so the padding needs to be there.
If you trim CARD2 games, there will be no space for the save game, which is why those roms won't work trimmed.

(edit: maybe make romtool NOT trim CARD2 games but add a switch to allow a force trim of CARD2 games.)

Reactions: tHciNc

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
(edit: maybe make romtool NOT trim CARD2 games but add a switch to allow a force trim of CARD2 games.)

This was my point. And thanks for the clarification, I guess. I thought the trimming function only deleted the empty data, not any data that doesn't belong to the game.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe make romtool NOT trim CARD2 games but add a switch to allow a force trim of CARD2 games.
Or the user can use the ROM parsing feature of rom_tool to check if it's a CARD2 game. Besides, I would keep CARD2 games stored on my PC trimmed, then only restored them once they were on the GW micro sd card.

Though if you're one of those people who likes batch trimming/restoring ROMs, then you may have a problem. But it's not like you're going to be trimming the ROMs on your micro sd card every day.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Or the user can use the ROM parsing feature of rom_tool to check if it's a CARD2 game. Besides, I would keep CARD2 games stored on my PC trimmed, then only restored them once they were on the GW micro sd card.

Though if you're one of those people who likes batch trimming/restoring ROMs, then you may have a problem. But it's not like you're going to be trimming the ROMs on your micro sd card every day.

How about just leaving an extra 1MB of space at the end of the rom for the save file? It's not that I'm dying for trimming my roms, but if many people want it...

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Quick question. Are there any Card 1 games that don't work if you super trim it?

Yes tons. The general rule of thumb is to not trim the update date on any game what so ever. Trimming the CCI off of CARD1 games seems so far to be perfectly fine.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to this post CARD2 trimming is possible with just relocating CARD2 writable address to the first unused block:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-bros-deluxe-eur-vc-3ds-internal-bigbluebox.364484/page-4#post-4966420

(I wonder is there any signature for a card info header in a rom?)

3DSGuy, will you add such option for CARD2 trim?
BTW have anyone tried to cut Manual and/or DLC partitions and launch on GW?
I suppose rom_tool is long overdue for an update. I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: duke_srg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.