Tutorial  Updated

3DS Region Change Tutorial (EASY WAY)

NOTE: This tutorial is old and no longer supported. See this for a better tutorial (You need arm9loaderhax though).

Hi there! I am back for another word tutorial.

Now I'll tell you this: ONLY DO THIS WITH EMUNAND (YOUR SYSTEM MENU ON THE SD CARD). REPLACING YOUR SYSNAND (YOUR SYSTEM MENU ON THE NAND/INTERNAL MEMORY) WITH THIS IS RISKY. PLEASE READ EVERY SINGLE THING IN THIS TUTORIAL FIRST BEFORE DOING ALL THIS.

Without further ado, let's get started!

You'll need:

- Nintendo 3DS with firmwares 4.1-4.5 (Or downgrading to 4.1-4.5 might be good idea but it is risky for a BRICK. So use a clean 3DS for firmwares 4.1-4.5)
- A secureinfo_a for a region (Wont be linking any of those here as that would be illegal here. Find it in a ISO site I can't name.)
- 3DS Multi Decryptor for to dump your CTR_NAND16.xorpad
- EmuNAND Tool
- The CIAs used for installing a few out-of-region titles, which is here on this tutorial (Use 3DNUS for this)
- An SD Card, maybe more than 3 GB
- Gateway 3DS and the flashcard

Step 0: Install the DS Profile Exploit. If you haven't done that yet, then try.
Step 1: Enter the Launcher.dat of Gateway 3DS and DO NOT GO TO EMUNAND. Go to Format EmuNAND (Careful, this will DELETE ALL THE FILES INSIDE THE SD CARD), and then turn off the system, completely. The EMUNand will take up almost 1 GB.
Step 2: Go to your SD Card, rename the Launcher.dat to Launcher_GW.dat or whatever (It's your name choice though), and copy the 3DS_Multi_Decryptor Launcher.dat over to the SD Card.
Step 3: Relaunch the Exploit. Go select to where it says "NAND16" on it using the directional keys, and press A. This will take up 700 MB of space.
Step 4: Use the EmuNAND tool to Extract the EmuNAND from the SD Card, and then drag the NAND16.xorpad, secureinfo_a for whatever region it is over to where the EmuNAND.bin is at.
Step 5: Download the 3DS Secureinfo Tool here, and then extract it. Launch the EXE app. Click Inject Secureinfo_a, and lead to the EmuNAND, the Xorpad, and the Secureinfo_a. Your done!
Step 6: Inject the region-changed EmuNAND back to the SD Card, and launch the Gateway Exploit. Your done! The region change error has been fixed since 3.2 (I think).

How to get on the eShop:

BEFORE DOING ALL THIS, PLEASE FORMAT THE SYSTEM MEMORY INSIDE THE EMUNAND BEFORE UPDATING. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS FIRST, YOUR NNID WILL BE BANNED FOREVER! I am just saying.

You'll need:

- 2 SD Cards
- 3rd SD Card, with another region, formatted and updated to 9.6, AND has an NNID Japan-like to work with rxtools.
- And a 4.1-4.5 SysNAND.

Step 1: Format EmuNAND with Gateway on the 2 SD Cards. Use the 1st SD Card via steps 2-6.
Step 2: Boot Gateway Mode. Go to System Settings, and go to the 4th page to lead to "Format System"
Step 3: Accept the format. After formatting, it'll kick you back to SysNAND.
Step 4: Now launch Gateway, launch EmuNAND and apply the 9.9 update. It'll kick you back to SysNAND.
Stpe 5: Test the EmuNAND again with Gateway. It'll say that you have new features. Then turn off the console.
Step 6: Turn off the 3DS, eject it, and use EmuNAND tool to Extract the the EmuNAND.
Step 7: Use the 2nd SD Card to inject the extracted EmuNAND. Close off EmuNAND tool after done, and eject the SD Card.
Step 8: With the 1st SD Card, set up an NNID. BUT DON'T SET IT UP ON THE 2ND SD CARD.
Step 9: After setting it up, launch the eShop. Set it up as usual. While on the main page, press HOME and close it off. Turn off the 3DS.
Step 10: Use the 2nd SD Card you didn't set up an Nintendo Network ID with, and launch eShop. It'll say an error message. When you see the error message, TURN OFF the 3DS. This is very important.
Step 11: Now use the 3rd SD Card with another region. Launch the eShop. Aw, it worked! Great job!

That tutorial worked. Why? Well, in order to access the eShop, you read on Nintendo's servers your Console's info on the server while visiting. With the Another SD Card, when you got the error code, it RESETS the info in the server. When visiting the eShop on ANOTHER region with another NNID set up Japan-like, it starts the eShop as like you really got an Japanese console! Great, right?

How to relink back your old EmuNAND:

To switch back, you'll need to do these steps:

1. Make an EmuNAND backup
2. Decrypt partitions using RxTools
3. Delete some NNID file inside the NAND (It depends to where it's at, IDK where it's at, so Google is the solution)
4. Make another EmuNAND on a 4th SD Card, encrypt and inject the EmuNAND Partitions to that 4th SD Card using RxTools (You'll need to inject the backup first before doing this)
5. Go on the eShop when loaded the EumNAND. It'll get an error, and power off.
6. Then get your old EmuNAND, and launch it and launch eShop. Congrats, you switched back!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. :D

Last edited by SpencerlyEverly, , Reason: No reason.

chronoqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the eshop works with this metod? cause i have a emunand witrh region change but dont let me access to the eshop

SpencerlyEverly

Spencer Everly
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
the eshop works with this metod? cause i have a emunand witrh region change but dont let me access to the eshop
Yes, there is a possibility. Right now, I am downloading a game on the Japanese eShop with a different NNID: 18SEVEJPN. I'll edit the details on how to get on there soon.

SaagiBols

The AnalSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Don't reveal the real name, please. Some moderator may delete the post. Somebody already revealed JPN and ENG secureinfos already. Find them on the other 3DS downloads page.
direct linking is against the rules but just saying the name without .com/org/net/etc is fine, and the other site welcomes people from gbatemp as some admin has said in their rules thread...

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What information can you provide about friend codes? As in, will we result in a new friend code valid for the new region, or will it be tied to the previous region in some way? Are there any precautions or tips we may want to be aware of? Also, lets say my donor 3DS has a NNID linked to it, as well as a friend code that is linked to that NNID. When I transfer, will I result in that exact same friend code and the NNID associated with it, or will I have a different friend code before/after I log my NNID in?

Apologies for the onslaught of question marks; gotta know these things.

chronoqz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're awesome! i been stock the past two weeks cause the error eshop and now i can enter, but i have another issue, i have 4 legit cias installed, majoras, MH4, pokemon AS and smash, only works majoras and pokemon, i dont know why, i tried 2.2 rxtools and 2.3 and nothing, you have any idea? sorry for disturbing you

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
sot this method to access eshop still requires a set from the region you want to switch to? otherwise how are you going to get that sd card updated to 9.6

SpencerlyEverly

Spencer Everly
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
sot this method to access eshop still requires a set from the region you want to switch to? otherwise how are you going to get that sd card updated to 9.6

2nd Question answered: Use rxTools for to access eShop from another region.

To answer the first question, you'll need 1 SD Card with NNID, another with no NNID, and one with a different NNID, but region changed. My tutorial is cleaner and understandable, so you'll get that done easy! ;)

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I stopped after the 3 sd cards needed lol, it still looks too messy at this point. Is 3 sd card absolutely necessary? I suppose you can just wipe one of them since you don't need all 3 at the same time.

Toni456

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
EDIT: I followed your method, and it works-ish. NNID settings load, Miiverse laods, but eShop doesnt (error code 005-5602) - apparently its down to region;-;
Yeah i just followed the guide as well, i can play online just fine with the .cia updates but accessing eshop and themes etc all ends up giving me an error i even tried with the firmware spoofing exploit but i guess im flashing my old nand and just gonna use this for emunand so i can still get japan exclusive dlc and events from the handful of games i have like pokemon and mh4

edit: Ok so i got eshop to work but is there any chance of getting banned if i was to frequently switch between all 3 regions?

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
been struggling follwing this guide and need some clarification on the 3 SD card

so on a JPN 3ds...

1st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR] with NNID
2st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR] without NNID
3rd SD card = 9.X region changed emunand from another Region [???] with different NNID from the 1st card

or you mean this by different region

1st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR-United kingdom] with NNID
2st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR-United kingdom] without NNID
3rd SD card = 9.X region changed emunand from another Region [EUR-Austria] with different NNID from the 1st card

or

1st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR] with NNID
2st SD card = 9.X region changed emunand [EUR] without NNID
3rd SD card = 9.X region changed emunand from another Region [USA] with different NNID from the 1st card

and on Step 9: After setting it up, launch the eShop. Set it up as usual. While on the main page, press HOME and close it off. what main menu?, i believe you can't get to the store menu because of the error in the fist place. The only thing that will display there if you set up an NNID is some kind of T.O.S on the credit card and an OK button and no menu. the menu only appears if you load the emunand with the same region of your console.

JacktheTrainer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the first part of the tutorial, whenever I try to launch RxTools through the browser exploit the 3ds sends back to the home screen with an error message before rxtools can load. I also tried doing it using the QR code and got the same result. I followed the directions fairly thoroughly, but is there anything else that I could have missed. I appreciate any help on this issue.

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I install CIAs using Palentine instead of devmenu? Like I have a US system; before applying the region change, I can install any EUR cias I want using Palantine (web installer with run.bat through IP address). Then after installing those EUR cias, I do your region change, then after that they will work?

nichikoro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
EDIT: I followed your method, and it works-ish. NNID settings load, Miiverse laods, but eShop doesnt (error code 005-5602) - apparently its down to region;-;

hi hi sorry for my bad english. do you solve the error 005-5602??? i cant use eshop in my 3ds xl for update my legits cias T_T

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi hi sorry for my bad english. do you solve the error 005-5602??? i cant use eshop in my 3ds xl for update my legits cias T_T

No I never got round to fixing that, I ended up flashing the wrong NAND to my system, so now im left with an unexploitable 9.4.0-24J system what I cannot do anything with until I get a NAND mod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16