• Views 4,464,118
  • Replies 53,774
  • Likes 43

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Iam sure someone has asked that befor but is anyone working on something like a tinfoil server for the 3ds? I know that we had fbi for installing cias and freeshop back in the day but server solution would make it mutch easy er than searching mega links

UniKlixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hi I have a question regarding TWL clock speed. I am running my DS games using nds-bootstrap and DS Game Forwarders created using NDS Forwarder Generator. However, the nds-bootstrap compatibility list specifies that those specific games are recommended to run at TWL clock speed. How can I enable TWL clock speed when running games in this fashion?

Thanks in :gba: !

..(Did you get it? Thanks in advance!.. never mind).

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Iam sure someone has asked that befor but is anyone working on something like a tinfoil server for the 3ds? I know that we had fbi for installing cias and freeshop back in the day but server solution would make it mutch easy er than searching mega links
There is an freeshop alternative that simply uses FBIs QR Code scanning feature, search for that.

Last edited by sley,

Alacres

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a Japanese 2DS without realizing that there wasn't an English language option. I probably should have known this but I figured Luma3DS would have a way to change the system language after the fact anyway. Since that doesn't seem to be the case (from what I've read), what are the all of the consequences for region changing? I know we lose access to the eshop and the NNID functionality, but seeing as how the 3DS is losing the eshop in the next year or so anyway, does it really matter now? I never used it on my 3DS anyway. Plus, I was reading there was another freeshop now or something similar.

I'm mainly concerned with multiplayer; will I still be able to play stuff online once I region change? And are there any other drawbacks? I know the recommended option is to avoid changing and just deal with the Japanese menu, but I'm OCD about this kind of thing. I'd prefer it to have the English aesthetic that I'm used to.

I still haven't put CFW on it yet but I'm planning to do that later tonight. Thanks in advance for the info!

blackwolf25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought a Japanese 2DS without realizing that there wasn't an English language option. I probably should have known this but I figured Luma3DS would have a way to change the system language after the fact anyway. Since that doesn't seem to be the case (from what I've read), what are the all of the consequences for region changing? I know we lose access to the eshop and the NNID functionality, but seeing as how the 3DS is losing the eshop in the next year or so anyway, does it really matter now? I never used it on my 3DS anyway. Plus, I was reading there was another freeshop now or something similar.

I'm mainly concerned with multiplayer; will I still be able to play stuff online once I region change? And are there any other drawbacks? I know the recommended option is to avoid changing and just deal with the Japanese menu, but I'm OCD about this kind of thing. I'd prefer it to have the English aesthetic that I'm used to.

I still haven't put CFW on it yet but I'm planning to do that later tonight. Thanks in advance for the info!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/you-can-play-online-after-region-change.578195/

Reactions: Alacres

SkyPioneer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey lads, what is your opinion on retroarch on n3ds? Obviously the best way is to get out there and play it which I will do - but if there are any particular known issues, oddities etc I'd appreciate knowing. Planning on mostly just playing snes and nes stuff.

The inbuilt virtual console emulator is good, but I'm hoping to use this with the 3dsync homebrew app to sync my saves across PC and handheld. Many thanks!

ShadowbannedAllstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a very, very stupid question for all of you.

I just got my very first 3DS; it's a "new" 3DS XL. I went to 3ds.hacks.guide and followed the instructitons there, and I seem to have the cfw working correctly. Now I just need games.

Don't worry, I'm not going to ask where I can download them - this is a much stupider question. Here it is: how do I install the games after I download them? I have downloaded some .cia files, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them.

Bear in mind that this is my very first time using a 3DS - I have literally never played a single game on one, either with a cartridge or a cia file. In fact, this is embarrassing to admit, but... earlier, when I first sat down to look at the thing... I mistakenly put an SD adapter into the cartridge slot, thinking that the 3DS read SD cards of the non-micro SD variety. Sadly, I am not even joking about that one.

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just got my very first 3DS; it's a "new" 3DS XL. I went to 3ds.hacks.guide and followed the instructitons there, and I seem to have the cfw working correctly. Now I just need games.

Don't worry, I'm not going to ask where I can download them - this is a much stupider question. Here it is: how do I install the games after I download them? I have downloaded some .cia files, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them.

Bear in mind that this is my very first time using a 3DS - I have literally never played a single game on one, either with a cartridge or a cia file. In fact, this is embarrassing to admit, but... earlier, when I first sat down to look at the thing... I mistakenly put an SD adapter into the cartridge slot, thinking that the 3DS read SD cards of the non-micro SD variety. Sadly, I am not even joking about that one.

you can put fbi in the 3ds folder. you do have homebrew going, right? it's the boot.3dsx. if you do that, it should work. you can even put a cia of fbi on the system to make it even easier.

Reactions: ShadowbannedAllstar

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have a region swapped 3ds and there aren't any downsides for me. You can still use multiplayer, and have an NNID and use the eshop despite what people will tell you. I forget that my 3ds is region swapped sometimes honestly. Here's how I got this all working for me:

Follow 3ds hacks guide but don't "install and delete" your downloaded cias just "install" them. Once you get done with that, follow their other guide to region swap, then perform a system format. Extended memory games (Pokémon ultra moon as an example) broke for me after the region swap, which a system format fixed. The system format also let me make a new NNID and use the eshop again. After that is when you would be reinstalling the cias that you conveniently didn't delete. Finally run TWLfix to fix your TWL firm which can break after region swapping.

That was just how I got everything working for me on my 3ds and in theory it should work for you too. As always, make sure you have a nand backup before region swapping or doing anything potentially risky.

Hopefully this is helpful for somebody lol xD

Also yes there is a new freeshop alternative checkout hshop.

• Love

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LOL no it's okay we all start somewhere haha

You can install your cias with fbi or custom-install and the games will show up on your home screen. If you need help using either feel free to reply but I'll link a few guide for you to watch too. If your installing a lot of games I would definitely use custom-install because it's a lot faster and installs multiple games at a time, which fbi does not do. However, custom-install is a bit harder to setup so if you can't figure it out you can always just sit through fbi's super long install time lol.
How to use fbi
How to use custom-install

I'm assuming you would like to play ds games too, and to do that you can either use a forwarder or twilightmenu++. The main difference is that with a forwarder your games will show up on your home screen, and with twilightmenu++ you have to open the app and select your rom. Setting up a forwarder is easier but I'll link a guide for both.
How to use nds forwarder generator
How to use twilightmenu++

Keep in mind you can find both nds forwarder generator and twlightmenu++ in the universal downloader app and you don't have to install via pc if you don't want to.

Hope this helps!! :)

Last edited by Deleted member 585915,
Reactions: ShadowbannedAllstar

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have a question regarding TWL clock speed. I am running my DS games using nds-bootstrap and DS Game Forwarders created using NDS Forwarder Generator. However, the nds-bootstrap compatibility list specifies that those specific games are recommended to run at TWL clock speed. How can I enable TWL clock speed when running games in this fashion?

Thanks in :gba: !

..(Did you get it? Thanks in advance!.. never mind).
select your forwarded game and hold y till a menu pops up. from there select which arm9 cpu speed you want to use for that specific game. it has the option for ntr and twl. hope that helps you out !! :)

Reactions: UniKlixX

UniKlixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
select your forwarded game and hold y till a menu pops up. from there select which arm9 cpu speed you want to use for that specific game. it has the option for ntr and twl. hope that helps you out !! :)
Thanks so much! Just what I needed and it works. :D I did not know that was possible. Thanks again for the help!

Alacres

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a region swapped 3ds and there aren't any downsides for me. You can still use multiplayer, and have an NNID and use the eshop despite what people will tell you. I forget that my 3ds is region swapped sometimes honestly. Here's how I got this all working for me:

Follow 3ds hacks guide but don't "install and delete" your downloaded cias just "install" them. Once you get done with that, follow their other guide to region swap, then perform a system format. Extended memory games (Pokémon ultra moon as an example) broke for me after the region swap, which a system format fixed. The system format also let me make a new NNID and use the eshop again. After that is when you would be reinstalling the cias that you conveniently didn't delete. Finally run TWLfix to fix your TWL firm which can break after region swapping.

That was just how I got everything working for me on my 3ds and in theory it should work for you too. As always, make sure you have a nand backup before region swapping or doing anything potentially risky.

Hopefully this is helpful for somebody lol xD

Also yes there is a new freeshop alternative checkout hshop.
Man, you really saved me a ton of headache with your post! I did everything you suggested and the issues I was having seem to be corrected now (freezing when going back to home from notifications, R4 card not working, etc). The only thing I'm still not able to do is use the eshop; it gives me an error. How did you get that to work?

Thanks very much!

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, you really saved me a ton of headache with your post! I did everything you suggested and the issues I was having seem to be corrected now (freezing when going back to home from notifications, R4 card not working, etc). The only thing I'm still not able to do is use the eshop; it gives me an error. How did you get that to work?

Thanks very much!
I was able to make a new NNID and use the eshop after the system format. Let me know the error code you are getting, there’s a chance that it’s unrelated. You can also try another system format to see if then it’ll stop giving you errors. Happy I could help with everything that really mattered though!! Hopefully the eshop starts working for you too. :D

UniKlixX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hey benamin, do you know if TWL and NTR should only be enabled for arm9? Since the setting is called "arm9 cpu speed". Because my 2DS XL has an arm11 processor :P Or can I use TWL/NTR when recommended for my arm11 processor as well?

Deleted member 585915

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What firmware is needed to mod pokemon games on the 3ds like pokemon moon to get options like only shines or 100% catch rate? Do I just need homebrew? I don't know if I'm using these terms right
Yeah you need homebrew and custom firmware. luckily that's very easy to get so just follow this guide. With luma custom firmware you can do basically whatever you want with your 3ds. rom hacks, cheats, save editing, and much MUCH more. If the guide is overwhelming I would recommend watching some videos like this one just so you have a basic understanding of what you'll be doing. if you need any help feel free to ask, I'm here all the time.

edit: I don't know much about mods to change catching odds but this tool is useful for lots of stuff and might be what your looking for.

Last edited by Deleted member 585915,

Alacres

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to make a new NNID and use the eshop after the system format. Let me know the error code you are getting, there’s a chance that it’s unrelated. You can also try another system format to see if then it’ll stop giving you errors. Happy I could help with everything that really mattered though!! Hopefully the eshop starts working for you too. :D
It looks like the error code is 007-2001. Even if I end up not being able to resolve this, I'm not too worried about it--especially with the eshop closing soon for the 3DS. (I'm not sure if that will extend to updating games or not though? Will we still be able to do that once the eshop closes?)

Apart from that, everything has worked great. I just tested out Smash Bros earlier and it works now! I was a little worried at first because it was taking so long to boot, but I guess that's just the slower processing speed of the 2DS.

Thanks again for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol