• Views 4,447,098
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

Benne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
for a few reasons i wouldnt recommend such card and u should use cfw with twillight etc.
really just text me and i will take my time and lead u through this.
Thanks, curious in why you would not recommend it?
I have installed TWiLight Menu++ and tried some NDS games through it as well, followed cfwaifus guide.
There is not much room for NDS games on my SD-card.
which is a reason why I would like to have it on a separate card.
As well as to be able to use it on my DSi and DS lite.
128gb is the biggest recommended size as I understand it for N3DS?
256gb is not recommended?

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have installed TWiLight Menu++ and tried some NDS games through it as well, followed cfwaifus guide.
There's been rumours that a 200GB (not to be confused with 256GB) also works, but those are rare to find and honestly just stick with the more abundant (and cheaper) 128GB.

CFWaifu isn't a trusted guide, you should see https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-3ds.html for an installation/update guide.

It's possible to trim NDS games from its original size to its actual size using NDSTokyoTrim (obviously, you should have a backup that is the full size, but only the trimmed size goes on the SD): https://gbatemp.net/threads/ndstokyotrim-batch-trimmer-with-wifi-detection.55162/

The reason flashcarts aren't exactly recommended is because aside from the DS and DS Lite, there just isn't any financial incentive to get a flashcart because TWiLight does the exact same thing (and has some other flashy stuff like DSi mode support), and it costs a grand total of $0. The DSi and 3DS are both capable of this. What I personally suggest, if you have all of the consoles, is to get a flashcart, and just keep it inside the DS Lite as a slot dust cover of sorts since that's the only console you'd actually make any use of it.

Also, you mentioned that you already have a cart. You should just stick to it. It works, so why not.

Reactions: Benne and Ikari65

Ikari65

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@lifehackerhansol is right and mentioned some stuff so i think ur good with his instructions.

Reactions: Benne

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all :3 I'm writing on behalf of a friend.

My friend has been using an Old 3DS XL that I modded for him a few years ago. Recently, his SD card stopped working. Upon inspection, I discovered that he is using a 256GB Sd card--explaining other issues he's been having such as a slow boot time. However, I think the SD card could be fake as it was showing up as corrupted several times in my computer.

He just bought a brand-new Sandisk 64GB SD and I formatted it to FAT32. When I inserted it into the DS, it said it wasn't able to read it. I'm baffled as I haven't really seen anything like this before. Write protection wasn't enabled. Curiously, when I inserted the old SD card the system froze for about 10 seconds but worked as normal afterward. After getting his permission, I formatted the DS in an effort to fix the issue but that didn't work either. I'm about out of options here. Any help?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

My friend has been using an Old 3DS XL that I modded for him a few years ago. Recently, his SD card stopped working. Upon inspection, I discovered that he is using a 256GB Sd card--explaining other issues he's been having such as a slow boot time. However, I think the SD card could be fake as it was showing up as corrupted several times in my computer.

He just bought a brand-new Sandisk 64GB SD and I formatted it to FAT32. When I inserted it into the DS, it said it wasn't able to read it. I'm baffled as I haven't really seen anything like this before. Write protection wasn't enabled. Curiously, when I inserted the old SD card the system froze for about 10 seconds but worked as normal afterward. After getting his permission, I formatted the DS in an effort to fix the issue but that didn't work either. I'm about out of options here. Any help?
Possibly connection issues. Try another SD (another brand). I have seen 3DS rejecting perfectly working SDs for no reason.
*Sigh*
And for the future: Sacrificing personal data will not magically cure problems. Please do not "Format System Memory" as part of 3DS troubleshooting (unless NAND and SD are backed up before for undoing this in the likely case it doesn't help with the problem you encounter).

Reactions: CoolMe and sley

Refills323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you use SD cards over 32gb on a New 3ds Xl ? for example thinking of using a 64gb one
Yes, you can you use any size as long as you formatted to Fat32. There’s a downside when having bigger storage though and it is the booting. I’m using 1tb micro sd and it takes a whole minute to boot.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Just to be sure, the 3ds works without an sd card inserted right?
I'd also try using another tool to format the 64GB card to FAT32.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@AdenTheThird You should test the sd card with h2testw either the old or the new one, with both read & write checked, just to make sure it's not faulty /or fake. But backup any data that's on the sdcard to your PC before doing so. If it's not faulty, format it as FAT32 32KB cluster size (64KB if it's a +64GB sdcard) then just copy/paste the latest Luma3DS & GodMode9 files to it, and test. If it still doesn't boot or work, come back to us.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly connection issues. Try another SD (another brand). I have seen 3DS rejecting perfectly working SDs for no reason.
*Sigh*
And for the future: Sacrificing personal data will not magically cure problems. Please do not "Format System Memory" as part of 3DS troubleshooting (unless NAND and SD are backed up before for undoing this in the likely case it doesn't help with the problem you encounter).
Yeah. I normally won't ever format systems when troubleshooting, but it was an option and he didn't actually have any digital data on the DS for some reason. Everything else is backed up on my computer. I've been through resetting systems before (:
@AdenTheThird You should test the sd card with h2testw either the old or the new one, with both read & write checked, just to make sure it's not faulty /or fake. But backup any data that's on the sdcard to your PC before doing so. If it's not faulty, format it as FAT32 32KB cluster size (64KB if it's a +64GB sdcard) then just copy/paste the latest Luma3DS & GodMode9 files to it, and test. If it still doesn't boot or work, come back to us.
Just to be sure, the 3ds works without an sd card inserted right?
I'd also try using another tool to format the 64GB card to FAT32.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help (:

Refills323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everyone I’m new and decided to join because there’s a lot of guides and things here that helped me understand a modded N3Ds.

I saw something here about GBA system injection and the system booting for each game start and after, is there a way to avoid the boot ? I did this with DS games installed as CIAS but I’m hating the boot since I have over 500k blocks it takes a minute for each boot or do I have to use twilight as better start up?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, everyone I’m new and decided to join because there’s a lot of guides and things here that helped me understand a modded N3Ds.

I saw something here about GBA system injection and the system booting for each game start and after, is there a way to avoid the boot ? I did this with DS games installed as CIAS but I’m hating the boot since I have over 500k blocks it takes a minute for each boot or do I have to use twilight as better start up?
no. that is the 3ds going from 3ds.firm over to the agb.firm. its needed to run the games. you could use a emulator for such things like mgba. or perhaps using something less than a 1tb sd card.

Reactions: Refills323

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA system injection
You mean GBA injects? IIRC you can return to the home menu by pressing power then home button, unless i'm mistaken, and it shouldn't take too long. And it's worth noting if you're using a larger sd card you should use 64KB opposed to 32KB cluster size.
I did this with DS games installed as CIAS
Does exiting the game and going to the home menu doesn't work if you're using DS forwarders? It should, and it doesn't cause the system to reset or anything. TWilightmenu should be about the same too, but you could try and see for yourself.

Refills323

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean GBA injects? IIRC you can return to the home menu by pressing power then home button, unless i'm mistaken, and it shouldn't take too long. And it's worth noting if you're using a larger sd card you should use 64KB opposed to 32KB cluster size.

Does exiting the game and going to the home menu doesn't work if you're using DS forwarders? It should, and it doesn't cause the system to reset or anything. TWilightmenu should be about the same too, but you could try and see for yourself.
Thing is I installed it directly as a cia and I think is the first answer I got with the agb firm thing going on, this is the game.

Attachments

• 17702F99-A7BC-4945-B5C6-B31DE05E10FB.jpeg
    17702F99-A7BC-4945-B5C6-B31DE05E10FB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto