• Replies 53,821
  • Likes 44

gotem22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm American but I'm in Europe.

If I buy a 2DS XL for the PAL region and install CFW, what is the difference between changing my region to US/NA and just keeping it as the same region but playing games through region-free?

I'd prefer to change the region but it seems like that can cause problems because it's used. I plan to install CFW either way, but I'm wondering what the disadvantages are of keeping it in PAL vs. changing the region. The language will be in English either way.

Last edited by gotem22,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm American but I'm in Europe.

If I buy a 2DS XL for the PAL region and install CFW, what is the difference between changing my region to US/NA and just keeping it as the same region but playing games through region-free?

I'd prefer to change the region but it seems like that can cause problems because it's used. I plan to install CFW either way, but I'm wondering what the disadvantages are of keeping it in PAL vs. changing the region. The language will be in English either way.
There's no advantage to changing the region. With CFW you can play any region game. If you change the region you're just opening yourself up to problems later down the line.

Reactions: Darth Meteos

fireguy85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I've been waaay out of the loop, but I'm still on A9LH and my buddy wants to battle Pokemon and I'm on 11.7... I don't recall why I didn't upgrade the B9S, but I absolutely need to be able to play the Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem homebrews. Are these all 100% fully functional with B9S? Sound/music included.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I've been waaay out of the loop, but I'm still on A9LH and my buddy wants to battle Pokemon and I'm on 11.7... I don't recall why I didn't upgrade the B9S, but I absolutely need to be able to play the Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem homebrews. Are these all 100% fully functional with B9S? Sound/music included.
You should be able to do so without issue. Just make sure you upgrade to b9s before updating the console to 11.8

_RM_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a question, when I see the version that my 3ds has "SYS" instead of "VER" what is the difference? Is it because I have LUMA installed?
Will not I have problems(get BAN) playing online or doing updates to 3ds?

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.dgc1980.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have a question, when I see the version that my 3ds has "SYS" instead of "VER" what is the difference? Is it because I have LUMA installed?
Will not I have problems(get BAN) playing online or doing updates to 3ds?
yes SYS has been replaced by Luma so you can see if you are running different NANDs etc, you can disable that in the luma configuration if you want
and the chances of getting banned, is as much as drowning while drinking a glass of water
just dont cheat online or play games before release

tchinfsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys

Disclaimer: I'm a total and complete noob in 3DS hacking. I couldn't get my head around on how this works or how to hack, so I got myself a second hand 3DS that was already hacked.
Everything as good and all, but today the 3DS won't boot, and a blue light is flashing. It happened after I plugged my micro SD in my college's computer (had some free time and needed to mess with some stuff in it).
I looked around here and learned that this blue flashing light is indicative of the 3DS not finding a specific file that's supposed to make it boot. But, as said earlier, I'm a complete noob about it and don't know if the guide in the forum post I found could help me or if it would make things worse.

I noticed that all the files and folders in the SD's root are now (mostly) shortcuts. I don't have the faintest idea of what might've caused it. Is there a way that I can revert this? Or is the system bricked for good?

Here's how my SD root currently looks like:

imgur . com / xQunive . png

I appreciate any help you guys can give me

_RM_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
yes SYS has been replaced by Luma so you can see if you are running different NANDs etc, you can disable that in the luma configuration if you want
and the chances of getting banned, is as much as drowning while drinking a glass of water
just dont cheat online or play games before release

nice :D
I play without using hacks.
I just want to be able to play pokemons and do the events without being banned.

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys

Disclaimer: I'm a total and complete noob in 3DS hacking. I couldn't get my head around on how this works or how to hack, so I got myself a second hand 3DS that was already hacked.
Everything as good and all, but today the 3DS won't boot, and a blue light is flashing. It happened after I plugged my micro SD in my college's computer (had some free time and needed to mess with some stuff in it).
I looked around here and learned that this blue flashing light is indicative of the 3DS not finding a specific file that's supposed to make it boot. But, as said earlier, I'm a complete noob about it and don't know if the guide in the forum post I found could help me or if it would make things worse.

I noticed that all the files and folders in the SD's root are now (mostly) shortcuts. I don't have the faintest idea of what might've caused it. Is there a way that I can revert this? Or is the system bricked for good?

Here's how my SD root currently looks like:

imgur . com / xQunive . png

I appreciate any help you guys can give me
Where do the shortcuts point to in properties? Does the microSD still have around the same amount of space free?

I suspect those files are now on the college computer, though I don't know why they were moved and shortcuts pasted back.

tchinfsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Where do the shortcuts point to in properties? Does the microSD still have around the same amount of space free?

I suspect those files are now on the college computer, though I don't know why they were moved and shortcuts pasted back.

The files point to "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start Drive.bat & explorer "Drive\3ds1" which looks pretty suspicious.

As for the SD card, yes, same amount of free space.

Is it ok to format the SD card? I don't know if doing this I'd still be able to simply download and paste the right files in there to fix the issue and boot the 3DS.

Thanks!

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The files point to "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start Drive.bat & explorer "Drive\3ds1" which looks pretty suspicious.

Is it ok to format the SD card? I don't know if doing this I'd still be able to simply download and paste the right files in there to fix the issue and boot the 3DS.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, I don't really know what to do with a fresh SD card. You'll have to wait for someone more capable like @Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

Thanks!
Make a backup of your SD card and test it with H2testw. If it comes back with no errors, format it and then follow https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup to get all the right files back. You can then try restoring files that look like they might be OK - the Nintendo 3DS folder is the only really important one as it has your games and saves. Unfortunately the screenshot is too blurry (maybe my phone's fault?) and I can't read what's on there.

If H2testw comes back with any errors you'll want to buy a new SD card (from a physical shop not on the internet) and then follow https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Aw bill cobbs died