Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello I'm new to all of this and I finale just got my R4 SDHC Gold Pro in the mail today and I'm about ready to try to flash my 2ds xl.. It's running 11.6u..

so I have a few questions one is rather stupid I know but figured I should find out before I fuck it up.. okay so I've downloaded my proper kernel and I have copied it to the root of my new SD card.. but what im wonderin is do you use both memory cards like one in the actual memory spot of the 2ds xl and then one in the R4 flash cart

Or do you just use the one in the r4 and nothing in the memory spot till it's hacked or how does this work and do I hafto format the card so it' empty before I copy the files because I didn't because I didn' want to erase my file but every video i could find with a tutorial for this flash cart no one actually specifies if you need it to be empty how do I keep my save files? Thank you sorry for the big message
If you put the files where it tells you, you won't have a problem. You shouldn't have to delete anything

GerbilSwimmingPool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What he said isn't right.

3dsx files are homebrew only, user-made programs. They are launched from the homebrew launcher.

Cia files can be games or homebrew. They are installed on the console. There is no risk going online with them (for commercial games, not homebrew)

3ds files are the ones ripped from cartridges. They can only be used with flashcarts (Gateway or Sky3DS) and are the ones that are risky going online with.

What container or file format are "3ds files ripped from the cartridge" in? Would my r4i gold 3ds plus run these kind of files? I am interested in trying some of older ds tiles like mario 64 & yoshi land. I know the flashcart can't run 3ds games on it. Only older ds games.

Also, would it be okay to update StreetPass Mii Plaza from the application itself? I am running 11.6.0-39u with Luma3DS 9.0. Should I just try and update StreetPass Mii Plaza? Should I do a NAND backup before? Would there be much risk to this?

Last edited by GerbilSwimmingPool,

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What he said isn't right.

3dsx files are homebrew only, user-made programs. They are launched from the homebrew launcher.

Cia files can be games or homebrew. They are installed on the console. There is no risk going online with them (for commercial games, not homebrew)

3ds files are the ones ripped from cartridges. They can only be used with flashcarts (Gateway or Sky3DS) and are the ones that are risky going online with.
Thanks for clearing it up. I tried, but wasn't completely sure.

Can someone enlighten me on the necessity or benefits of these hiding homebrew videos by GameInCanada?:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_IXujPqAjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTIQdEoAAA

Last edited by EmBlaze,

joecreed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HEllo all,

I've been reading the FAQs and stickies here for a few hours and still am not quite sure what I need to be doing for what I'm looking for. I'm trying to do the following with my DS:

1. Put backups of my 3DS and DS games on my memory card.
2. Not lose the ability to play my virtual console games or to play games online

It looks like I need custom firmware on an old DS and then need to transfer that to my current one, but I don't think this is an option since I only have one 3DS. I saw another way where you could add a friend code and do something like that, but I was pretty confused on that process. Then I saw the carts and that just confused me even more as of which one I would need to get for what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
HEllo all,

I've been reading the FAQs and stickies here for a few hours and still am not quite sure what I need to be doing for what I'm looking for. I'm trying to do the following with my DS:

1. Put backups of my 3DS and DS games on my memory card.
2. Not lose the ability to play my virtual console games or to play games online

It looks like I need custom firmware on an old DS and then need to transfer that to my current one, but I don't think this is an option since I only have one 3DS. I saw another way where you could add a friend code and do something like that, but I was pretty confused on that process. Then I saw the carts and that just confused me even more as of which one I would need to get for what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You can't put custom firmware on a DS console, only 3DS. If you want to play DS games you need a DS flashcart. What you need depends on what firmware you are on. You should read https://3ds.guide before you buy anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What container or file format are "3ds files ripped from the cartridge" in? Would my r4i gold 3ds plus run this kind of files? I am interested in trying some of older ds tiles like mario 64 & yoshi land. I know the flashcart can't run 3ds games on it. Only older ds games.

Also, would it be okay to update StreetPass Mii Plaza from the application itself? I am running 11.6.0-39u with Luma3DS 9.0. Should I just try and update StreetPass Mii Plaza? Should I do a NAND backup before? Would there be much risk to this?
3ds format.

No, they are only for Gateway and Sky3DS carts.

Yes, you can play DS games on a DS flashcart.

There shouldn't be any risk but there's no harm in making a NAND backup before you do it.

Reactions: GerbilSwimmingPool

Ratoncito85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started using nrt plugin 4.0
Can I remove rocks in someone else town with this?

What do I need to buy to put cfw on a 2ds

I just started using nrt plugin 3.6
Can I remove rocks in someone else town with this?

What do I need to buy to put cfw on a 2ds

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trying to do the ntr method with an r4i flash cart and a new 2dsxl. I have a modded O3dsxl that Im using to flash the cart, and it says that its flashing the cart and gets to 100% but any time ive tired to start the process on the new xl, it doesnt do anything but stay in sleep mode unless i move the magnet. I am definitely holding X+Start+select+power button, and it doesnt do anything no matter how long I hold the buttons. i have also reflashed the cart a few times and i have made sure all files are proper on the sd card in the 2dsxl system. anyone have any insight? could it say its flashing the cart even though its not?

the flash cart still shows up as dorasu nds game

Last edited by ichidansan,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
trying to do the ntr method with an r4i flash cart and a new 2dsxl. I have a modded O3dsxl that Im using to flash the cart, and it says that its flashing the cart and gets to 100% but any time ive tired to start the process on the new xl, it doesnt do anything but stay in sleep mode unless i move the magnet. I am definitely holding X+Start+select+power button, and it doesnt do anything no matter how long I hold the buttons. i have also reflashed the cart a few times and i have made sure all files are proper on the sd card in the 2dsxl system. anyone have any insight? could it say its flashing the cart even though its not?

the flash cart still shows up as dorasu nds game
If it still shows up it sounds like it isn't flashed. For the buttons, make sure the console is off, hold Start Select and X, press power briefly just so the console turns on, keep holding the buttons for a few seconds then let go.
If you have no luck you can use the DSiWare transfer method since you have another console. You would lose the data on the 2DS XL though.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it still shows up it sounds like it isn't flashed. For the buttons, make sure the console is off, hold Start Select and X, press power briefly just so the console turns on, keep holding the buttons for a few seconds then let go.
If you have no luck you can use the DSiWare transfer method since you have another console. You would lose the data on the 2DS XL though.

yea, being to total idiot i am, I skipped an entire page of instructions. im such a monkey lol. but I got it to this step
  • “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”
and it shows sys 11.4.0-37u

so now im good to go. i felt something was off...

yea, being to total idiot i am, I skipped an entire page of instructions. im such a monkey lol. but I got it to this step

probably need amerger on this, but now the 2dsxl will not power on, light flashes then its never fully powers. guessing it bricked some how?

aand now it works but only with the 4gb card... wanting to use this 128. i copied all the files over to new card, so i dont see what the problem is.

Last edited by ichidansan,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia

probably need amerger on this, but now the 2dsxl will not power on, light flashes then its never fully powers. guessing it bricked some how?

aand now it works but only with the 4gb card... wanting to use this 128. i copied all the files over to new card, so i dont see what the problem is.
you need to format your 128GB drive with guiformat to make it FAT32
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

set the allocation to 32768 also,
then copy the content of the 4GB to the 128GB

Goodolgamer1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I resolved my issue from a few days ago, now I have a new question and I'm sure there's info on it already but I'm not finding it, if someone could point me the right direction, that would be sweet!

I bought a new sd card and transferred everything to it, but would like to use the old sd card in my o3ds xl, and hopefully not lose all the games etc on it. The o3ds is also running cfw. How to I..... associate? the SD card (or pair it, w/e) with the other 3ds?

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
I resolved my issue from a few days ago, now I have a new question and I'm sure there's info on it already but I'm not finding it, if someone could point me the right direction, that would be sweet!

I bought a new sd card and transferred everything to it, but would like to use the old sd card in my o3ds xl, and hopefully not lose all the games etc on it. The o3ds is also running cfw. How to I..... associate? the SD card (or pair it, w/e) with the other 3ds?
as above, format the SD card you want to use,
then copy the content of the SD card from your o3dsxl to your desktop, then copy it back to the SD card you want to use,

Goodolgamer1980

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as above, format the SD card you want to use,
then copy the content of the SD card from your o3dsxl to your desktop, then copy it back to the SD card you want to use,

..... yup... *slowly sneaks out of room*

I don't know how I missed thinking that...

*facepalm*

Edit* wait, won't it still be set for the n3ds though? Or will the o3ds take "ownership"

Last edited by Goodolgamer1980,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy