• Replies 53,775
  • Likes 43

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sysNAND 9.2 Menuhax booting to HBC.
I already have emuNAND, but I'd like to know anyways since I use Gateway Launcher Format emuNAND option to create an emuNAND.
Just asking if there's a better way or doesn't it matter at all?
I guess either the Gateway emuNAND or EmuNAND9.

syringe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...With what? :/
well i deleted everything off my 2ds because a lot of stuff (referred to as stuff because i couldnt identify it in fbi nor on my computer) was taking up space and i had somehow lost everything on my 2ds. all i could do was boot fbi, i didnt have luma available on the menu, my games, nor hb. i was downloading games off the freeshop last night and i fell asleep as it was charging and i think my 2ds died while a game was being installed (from the freeshop). i decided that i was gonna recover everything from a backup so i loaded a backup onto my 2ds sd card (after emptying it all out) and i shortly after came to find out that the backup was from before i installed a9lh (before part4 of the guide), so i thought since i couldnt use the files i just moved out, it wouldnt make sense to keep them; i deleted them. then i did part a of the a9lh installation process (think it was all the prep work) and then i put my sd into my 2ds, when i tried to power it on, it just had a blue light turn on for like a second or so, then it just turned off. i can charge it and i didnt hear any noises.
what can i do? its not under warranty either i dont think, got it 2ndhand

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
well i deleted everything off my 2ds because a lot of stuff (referred to as stuff because i couldnt identify it in fbi nor on my computer) was taking up space and i had somehow lost everything on my 2ds. all i could do was boot fbi, i didnt have luma available on the menu, my games, nor hb. i was downloading games off the freeshop last night and i fell asleep as it was charging and i think my 2ds died while a game was being installed (from the freeshop). i decided that i was gonna recover everything from a backup so i loaded a backup onto my 2ds sd card (after emptying it all out) and i shortly after came to find out that the backup was from before i installed a9lh (before part4 of the guide), so i thought since i couldnt use the files i just moved out, it wouldnt make sense to keep them; i deleted them. then i did part a of the a9lh installation process (think it was all the prep work) and then i put my sd into my 2ds, when i tried to power it on, it just had a blue light turn on for like a second or so, then it just turned off. i can charge it and i didnt hear any noises.
what can i do? its not under warranty either i dont think, got it 2ndhand
Make sure you have arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your SD card.

syringe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure you have arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your SD card.
ight, imma do that
if this works man i swear im gonna love you for my whole life man my little brother is having his bday party on wed and i wanna get this to him with all the games he wants before then
E: omg i fucking LOVE YOU BRO IT WORKED

Reactions: Quantumcat

kibin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I just "make me a al9h user" and I wanna put some 3DS themes. I saw in some sites, JPN, EUR and USA Themes. The region of my 3DS is USA... Can I install just USA themes? Because a I saw this: "NOTE: THIS PACK WORKS ONLY ON EUROPE 3DS SYSTEM (CFW)"

Last edited by kibin,

mariodab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to the 3DS scene. The last thing I messed with was on a DS lite and that was just using a cycloDS Evolution flashcart. That being said, I've fumbled through forums and did searches and ended up using Plailect's guide. That thing is top notch. This was my final result using the guide

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/installing-arm9loaderhax

I had an o3DS on 7.1 firmware before the install and used the Decypt9 Browser option in the guide to start out. Ive seen a lot about sysNand and EmuNand. Based on how i understood the guide, I am not running an EmuNand. It says I am running a CFW based SysNand. Im not entirely sure what that means. I put CFW on my PSP back when that was a thing and updating through system settings was a bad thing and broke your CFW.

This does not seem to be the case with 3DS, because at the end of the guide it tells you to do a system update, so I am now on 11.2. Im just trying to wrap my head around all this and had a few questions. Mainly, what in the world do they mean by CFW based sysnand?

1. Seeing as I have Luma installed along with hourglass9, Decrypt9 and arma9loaderhax, could I simply downgrade my sysnand firmware by restoring my orginal nand backup using hourglass9 or decrypt9? Seeing as I already have exploits in place this seems like it would work that way. I ask because all I can find about downgrading is on systems that are not yet on CFW. If not, am I restricted to downgrading the same way an unmodded console would be?

2. I want to set up the 3DS as a new system but didn't want to lose my CFW, if I did I'd be stuck on 11.2 with hardmod as my only option for downgrading, and that is just not my forte. I've seen posts about tinyformat and that it doesn't mess with your CFW. Is this a safe option? How should I proceed?

3. If using tinyformat, I assume all my homebrew that I installed as cia will be deleted and I will have to inject FBI back into the health and safety app to reinstall them. Is this correct?

4. Should I be using an Emunand at all? It seems like if it was critical in any way, Plailect's guide would have you set one up. If you have a backup of your sysnand and you restore in case something went wrong, what would be the point of an Emunand? I assume it's used as a precautionary device to protect your sysNand from bricking or updating, but it seems that updating doesn't have any consequences and if you brick you could just restore your sysnand backup. So what is the purpose of it?

5. If I use hourglass9 to convert my ehsop titles to cia and go to reinstall them with FBI (after setting up my 3ds as a new console in my second question) will they reinstall them same way they did when I downloaded them from the eshop or would it try to install the entire title to my sysNand instead of my SD card. I would just like to be able to backup my eshop titles and reinstall them without having to go through the process of downloading them all over again. I've seen a drawn out process that involves a certain key that shall not be named, but don't know if this is outdated.

I'm sorry if I've asked anything already asked (I'm sure I have). I know how it is to see the same questions asked over and over. I've been in the modding scene since 2004 and modded various game consoles and phones since then and I rarely ask questions on forums. You know how it is, if you come to the scene a few years late, there is a lot of dated material you have to sift through to find what is current and what had been outdated. I'm just looking for a little help sorting some things out and getting frustrated with the information I've gathered on my own.

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say I have a NAND image from a different console than my own. I am seeking the CTR partition, or at least movable.sed. Say I create an emuNAND with my other system's image. I know I won't be able to boot to it. Can I then assume that HourGlass9 cannot dump its partitions/files as it cannot be decrypted? If that is true, and I also happen to have the XORpads from the same console that NAND image is from, can it be done then?

Thanks!

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to the 3DS scene. The last thing I messed with was on a DS lite and that was just using a cycloDS Evolution flashcart. That being said, I've fumbled through forums and did searches and ended up using Plailect's guide. That thing is top notch. This was my final result using the guide

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/installing-arm9loaderhax

I had an o3DS on 7.1 firmware before the install and used the Decypt9 Browser option in the guide to start out. Ive seen a lot about sysNand and EmuNand. Based on how i understood the guide, I am not running an EmuNand. It says I am running a CFW based SysNand. Im not entirely sure what that means. Before you were running custom firmware (or a CFW) on emuNAND. That had many annoying issues. So now, the CFW runs on the systemNAND itself! I put CFW on my PSP back when that was a thing and updating through system settings was a bad thing and broke your CFW.

This does not seem to be the case with 3DS, because at the end of the guide it tells you to do a system update, so I am now on 11.2. Im just trying to wrap my head around all this and had a few questions. Mainly, what in the world do they mean by CFW based sysnand? Let's try to explain further. SystemNAND refers to 3DS reading from its own memory (they use NAND, or Not AND. Named because they only use Not and AND gates. No OR gates) versus reading from emuNAND/redNAND, which redirected the system to read the SD card. When you had the emuNAND setup, you had to keep your systemNAND on 9.2. This was the last version to have the proper exploits. Your emuNAND was able to be updated as much as you wanted to. Well, that is a whole messy setup. You have two possible environments to boot from, and people very commonly updated the wrong environment. Now, we are able to run custom firmware at boot, prior to the system software loading. This allows us to essentially override aspects of the system software, such as only allowing legit content to be installed. You no longer have to install GBA/DSi titles to both sys and emu nand. You can always update your system software without fear that the hack will disappear. And always being able to update your system means you can always have eShop and online access.

1. Seeing as I have Luma installed along with hourglass9, Decrypt9 and arma9loaderhax, could I simply downgrade my sysnand firmware by restoring my orginal nand backup using hourglass9 or decrypt9? Seeing as I already have exploits in place this seems like it would work that way. I ask because all I can find about downgrading is on systems that are not yet on CFW. If not, am I restricted to downgrading the same way an unmodded console would be? Sure, just make sure to use the option that says to Keep A9LH. I would recommend you not do this though, unless there is a specific hack that does not work with the new setup. Chances are your old exploits are no longer needed.

2. I want to set up the 3DS as a new system but didn't want to lose my CFW, if I did I'd be stuck on 11.2 with hardmod as my only option for downgrading, and that is just not my forte. I've seen posts about tinyformat and that it doesn't mess with your CFW. Is this a safe option? How should I proceed? You cannot remove A9LH unless you specifically uninstall it via a program like SafeA9LHInstaller. As long as A9LH is in place, you cannot lose CFW access. Just put the arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card and it'll load. In fact, it shouldn't load if that file isn't there. If you had a system on 11.2, you can DSiWareHax downgrade, as long as you had a second system that already had CFW. Anyways, if you want to reformat, just run TinyFormat. Go through setup, run TinyFormat again. Done.

3. If using tinyformat, I assume all my homebrew that I installed as cia will be deleted and I will have to inject FBI back into the health and safety app to reinstall them. Is this correct? Yes. That is, unless FBI is still injected into H&S app. Then it will remain that way between the formats.

4. Should I be using an Emunand at all? It seems like if it was critical in any way, Plailect's guide would have you set one up. If you have a backup of your sysnand and you restore in case something went wrong, what would be the point of an Emunand? I assume it's used as a precautionary device to protect your sysNand from bricking or updating, but it seems that updating doesn't have any consequences and if you brick you could just restore your sysnand backup. So what is the purpose of it? Again, no. EmuNAND is no longer needed/used, unless you have a very specific hack that no longer works with the new environment. Then what I would recommend is to keep your sysnand updated, and keep a 9.2 emunand for when you need to use that hack. Otherwise, keep with updated sysnand. As you pointed out, there is no longer a need/point for emunand since we can restore NAND images now. EmuNAND was the first method of installing non-legit content onto your system. It only become obsolete last year.

5. If I use hourglass9 to convert my ehsop titles to cia and go to reinstall them with FBI (after setting up my 3ds as a new console in my second question) will they reinstall them same way they did when I downloaded them from the eshop or would it try to install the entire title to my sysNand instead of my SD card. I would just like to be able to backup my eshop titles and reinstall them without having to go through the process of downloading them all over again. I've seen a drawn out process that involves a certain key that shall not be named, but don't know if this is outdated. You do not seem to have an understanding of where titles get installed to. When you download from the eShop, the system installs to your SD card, not your internal NAND. However, yes, I believe you would be fine converting them to CIA and then reinstalling on the new system. I do not think saves would be backed up with this process. To backup saves that are not on your SD card, use JK's Save Manager (https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases) to backup to SD card. As for keys, you should have the aeskeydb.bin under SD:/files9. Those are the keys they talk about. Before this nice and neat file, we had to put each slot key in its own file on the root of the SD card. aeskeydb.bin takes care of that now.

I'm sorry if I've asked anything already asked (I'm sure I have). I know how it is to see the same questions asked over and over. I've been in the modding scene since 2004 and modded various game consoles and phones since then and I rarely ask questions on forums. You know how it is, if you come to the scene a few years late, there is a lot of dated material you have to sift through to find what is current and what had been outdated. I'm just looking for a little help sorting some things out and getting frustrated with the information I've gathered on my own.

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

All of my answers are inline.

mariodab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of my answers are inline.
OrGoN3 you are awesome! Thank you for clearing that up. That was very informative! So if I understand you correctly, after i format with tinyformat twice, the only thing I would lose from the setup I have now would be my homebrew installed on the home screen and my eshop titles. And all I have to do is simply reinject FBI to the H&S app and reinstall the cias for my homebrew and my eshop titles using FBI to get it back to my current setup?

Also, why format twice? I saw this in another thread:

The reason we format twice, rather than just once, is because RedNAND and SysNAND are determined to be linked if they have both been formatted the same number of times.

I though RedNAND was essentially the same as EmuNAND, and according to what you explained red/emunand it is no longer implemented. If so, then why would I format twice if RedNAND doesn't exist? Or is it that the way the CFW works now has some sort of implementation of RedNAND that works in the background as opposed to the old implementation of being a boot option?

Thank you again for your help it really set my mind at ease about reformatting. The question about formatting twice is not really important, just a curiosity really. Its interesting seeing how things have progressed.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
after i switched my O3DSXL to A9LH sysnand,i slower to boot then my O3DS with meunand A9LH 1-2 seconds
my N3DSXL has the same speed boot of the O3DS.

the SD card was formatted before using GW,but i formatted again using emunand9 tool to get rid of the emunand partition of the SD card.
that's not my problem actually,some times i see some slowdown in the home menu or when i go to friend menu and when i boot a game.
what could the cause of this? the SD card is very fast, it's Transcend SDXC I 64GB R95-W60MB/s and i test it on my PC and got 57-58MB/s transfer speed on it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 you are awesome! Thank you for clearing that up. That was very informative! So if I understand you correctly, after i format with tinyformat twice, the only thing I would lose from the setup I have now would be my homebrew installed on the home screen and my eshop titles. And all I have to do is simply reinject FBI to the H&S app and reinstall the cias for my homebrew and my eshop titles using FBI to get it back to my current setup?

Also, why format twice? I saw this in another thread:

I though RedNAND was essentially the same as EmuNAND, and according to what you explained red/emunand it is no longer implemented. If so, then why would I format twice if RedNAND doesn't exist? Or is it that the way the CFW works now has some sort of implementation of RedNAND that works in the background as opposed to the old implementation of being a boot option?

Thank you again for your help it really set my mind at ease about reformatting. The question about formatting twice is not really important, just a curiosity really. Its interesting seeing how things have progressed.

1. After you reformat the system, the system will essentially be the same as if you would have just opened it out of the box (with the obvious difference, yours having A9LH and CFW on it). So yes, re-inject FBI into H&S via a payload such as hourglass9 and reinstall. You can also re-access your NNID if you want just by signing back in.

2. Old habit. Not necessarily required without emuNAND, correct. It's something I do on all devices with accounts linked to them that I no longer wish to be linked to them: phones, computers, consoles, handhelds.

3. Easiest way to run tinyformat on your already modded 3DS: Go into FBI. Go to TitleDB. Scroll down (or up) to TinyFormat. Install. Exit. Home menu. Load up tinyformat. Format.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

after i switched my O3DSXL to A9LH sysnand,i slower to boot then my O3DS with meunand A9LH 1-2 seconds
my N3DSXL has the same speed boot of the O3DS.

the SD card was formatted before using GW,but i formatted again using emunand9 tool to get rid of the emunand partition of the SD card.
that's not my problem actually,some times i see some slowdown in the home menu or when i go to friend menu and when i boot a game.
what could the cause of this? the SD card is very fast, it's Transcend SDXC I 64GB R95-W60MB/s and i test it on my PC and got 57-58MB/s transfer speed on it.

First it depends on how your SD card was formatted. I believe the easiest way is to google around for the formatter gui that people use for cards >64GB. Perhaps your allocation unit size wasn't optimal for the DS.

If you think it may be your SD card, run it through H2testw, found here http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Keys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello guys I need some help in understanding if I'm following the right steps on getting a9lh on my old 3DS xl.
I've a 3DS with rxtools installed the nands are unlinked and my nind account is linked on the emunand (I'm not 100% sure about this because the 3DS haven't been used for months but to access the stuff I bought on the shop I had to launch rxtools so I guess that the nind is linked to the emunand)
Now by looking online it seems that to get a9lh I just have to follow the plailect guide, is this correct? If do I won't lose access to my nind right?
I've the ambassador games on it and would hate to lose it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Microsoft ruined it with kinect